when do babies...

trixipaws

Reaction score
1. understand that what they see in a mirror is their own reflection and not another baby?

and

2. :doh: bugger i'v forgot my other question now ill come back and edit when i remember! (lol pesky mummy-brain!)

I think its about 18 months before they realise its themselves in the mirror although it might be older. I remember reading about it and didn't realise it was so late. Nathan hasn't got a clue yet and hes 11 months, he just butts the mirror :roll: and Aimee who's just turned 2 has understood for a while so yes I guess its somewhere in between.

I think Stanley knows, he's 16 months.

Apparently you can check by putting a sticker on their head and seeing if they reach to take it off when they see it in the mirror :)

Whenever we hold willow up n front of the mirror she always laughs i just assummed she knew it was herself, hummmmmmmm have to try the sticker test.

I always wonder how they dont get confused because mummy is holding them and the baby in the mirror too, but I guess they dont really understand the laws of physics either :lol:

I was never sure about this either but every so often i do the sticker on the face thing with Thea. She's been taking it off her own face and not trying to take it off the mirror since she was about 11 months so im assuming she knows its her in the mirror. I keep trying it every so often just to make sure its not a fluke lol.
She also knows when she is looking at photo of herself because she tells you its her, she say "awwww ta-ya " and then points to herself. Thats a recent thing though. She's just over 14 months now.
I think all babies grasp things are different times, they are all individuals.

Tia used to get jealous of the baby mummy would be holding in the mirror... :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: She'd scream at her and throw a tantrum... Then I'd put her down, walk away from the mirror and pick her up again and she'd be alright... it was very amusing.. hehehehe... I think she was about 1 when it suddenly clicked that maybe there was no other baby... :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back