what's the earliest you weaned?

My concern was not my lack of sleep, as James still doesnt sleep through the majority of the time, it was more about the fact that my baby would still chew his fist and cry as soon as he had finished his bottle and show all the signs that he was still hungry which meant he wasnt settling and then getting over tired and very unhappy
same for leah

its complete rubbish about wanting a good nights sleep
if u look back at my question (first post), it doesnt even mention sleep anywhere...... i was talking about during the day when shes obviously not happy off the bottle

Kim&Leah said:
its complete rubbish about wanting a good nights sleep
if u look back at my question (first post), it doesnt even mention sleep anywhere...... i was talking about during the day when shes obviously not happy off the bottle

Kim&Leah said:
shes been sleeping 11pm - 8am, but now shes waking up so much earlier.
this morning it was 4am... she had 6oz then woke up again at 7am and had another 6oz.
cant keep up!!

& As you will see in my post below I didn't suggest anything about you wanting a goodnights sleep.

Princess_Puddles said:
Also just because you're baby isn't sleeping through anymore or is waking up earlier it shouldnt be used as a sign they need weaning, other measures really should be thought about before you go down that route, your babies are still very young and their tummies aren't mature enough for food just yet, guidelines are there for a reason, to warn you of the risks. They should be showing alot of the signs before weaning is considered!

Princess_Puddles said:
[quote="Kim&Leah":3poqvrz3]its complete rubbish about wanting a good nights sleep

Kim&Leah said:
shes been sleeping 11pm - 8am, but now shes waking up so much earlier.
this morning it was 4am... she had 6oz then woke up again at 7am and had another 6oz.
cant keep up!!

& As you will see in my post below I didn't suggest anything about you wanting a goodnights sleep.

Princess_Puddles said:
Also just because you're baby isn't sleeping through anymore or is waking up earlier it shouldnt be used as a sign they need weaning, other measures really should be thought about before you go down that route, your babies are still very young and their tummies aren't mature enough for food just yet, guidelines are there for a reason, to warn you of the risks. They should be showing alot of the signs before weaning is considered!
[/quote:3poqvrz3]

yes i added that on when somebody else had mentioned it

and i wasn't meaning you :)

also - i said id start around 4 months, not now :)

[quote="beanie
Why You Should Wait Until At Least 4 Months

Reason 1. Your baby's digestive system is too immature for solid foods before 4 months. Although he can suck very well, he does not have a lot of saliva to help digest food. Until he is at least 3-4 months old, his system lacks certain digestive enzymes, such as an enzyme called amylase, needed for digesting cereals (starches or complex carbohydrates). His body has trouble digesting some fats before he is 6 months old. Some foods will pass through him undigested and end up in his diaper. And some high protein foods, like eggs, meat, and even cow's milk, given too early may cause problems with your baby's immature kidneys.

Reason 2. Your baby is not developmentally ready to eat solid foods. His throat muscles are not developed enough to swallow solid foods until he is at least 4 months old. And, it is not until about 4 months that he is able to use his tongue to transfer food from the front to the back of his mouth. In fact, when you touch his tongue, he reacts by pushing his tongue outward or forward. This response is called the extrusion reflex or the tongue-thrust reflex and it doesn't disappear until he is around 16-18 weeks old. The first time you feed him with a spoon, it may seem that he is spitting out the food and closing his mouth at the wrong time. But his tongue movement is simply the result of the not-yet-unlearned extrusion reflex and not because he doesn't want the food. It is not until he is about 5 months old that he will see the spoon coming and open his mouth in anticipation.

Reason 3. Your baby must have a way of telling you that he is satiated. He lets you know that he is finished breast or bottle feeding by stopping his sucking or by falling asleep. But until he becomes able to turn his head to refuse food, which occurs at around 4 or 5 months, he has no way of letting you know he has had enough solid food. Because of this inability, some people consider feeding solid foods to a too-young baby a method of force feeding. This practice can interfere with the body's self-regulating eating mechanism and lead to overweight later in life. As with adults, your baby should eat only when he is hungry.

Reason 4. Beginning solid foods too early has been associated with other problems later in life, such as obesity, respiratory problems like bronchial asthma, and food allergies. For more information on how food allergies are caused by too-early introduction of solid foods, see page 33.

Reason 5. Solid foods will not make your baby sleep through the night. Studies show that of all babies sleep through at 3 months of age, whether or not they are eating solid foods. Even if solid foods will help your baby sleep longer, that is still not a good reason to begin solid foods early. I know sleep deprivation is hell, and most of us have been there. Hang in there. One night he'll sleep right through, and then you can start feeling normal again.
Reason 6. If you are breastfeeding and give your baby solid foods too early, your milk production may be decreased.

Signs of Readiness for Solid Foods

Your pediatrician looks for certain signs of readiness in your baby before advising you to begin solid foods. Some of these signs are:

* She is at least 4 months old.
* She weighs twice as much as her birth weight.
* She weighs at least 13-15 pounds.
* She can sit with support, allowing her to lean forward when she wants another spoonful and backward to refuse.
* She has control over her head and neck muscles and can turn her head to refuse food.
* She has stopped exhibiting the extrusion reflex when you put a spoon in her mouth.
* She is drinking at least 32-40 ounces of formula per 24-hours and still wants more.
* She is breast feeding at least 8-10 times per 24-hours (after the first few weeks), empties both breasts at each feeding, and still wants more.
* The time between feedings becomes shorter and shorter over a period of several days.
* She can bring an object in her hand directly to her mouth.
* She shows interest in others eating around her.
* She becomes fussy in the middle of the night, whereas before she slept through with no problem. Or her sleep periods are becoming shorter instead of longer.
[/quote]

i think that people have been mentioning that their babies have now been waking during the night when they ahve previously slept right through.. also quoting beanie and then seeing other people replying to this quote.. dont think anyone was having a pop at anyone or suggesting just because a few people in the beginning mentioned that their baby was now waking that they are going to wean because they are tired.

this subject is pretty debatable..everyones got their own ideas on what they think is best.. perhaps its best to agree to disagree and not cause arguments over it eh?

Princess_Puddles said:

Neither did I. I absolutely believe in starting solids as near as 6 months as possible for lots of the reasons beanie mentioned, but have not suggested that anyone in this thread has or plans to wean earlier was wrong or has done/will do to get a better night's sleep - I only mentioned my experiences to date.

Like many others, this is an emotive subject and one we all have our own opinions on.

Valentine Xxx

lisa&alex said:
i think that people have been mentioning that their babies have now been waking during the night when they ahve previously slept right through.. also quoting beanie and then seeing other people replying to this quote.. dont think anyone was having a pop at anyone or suggesting just because a few people in the beginning mentioned that their baby was now waking that they are going to wean because they are tired.

this subject is pretty debatable..everyones got their own ideas on what they think is best.. perhaps its best to agree to disagree and not cause arguments over it eh?

Just out of interest, who said that they were going to wean because they are tired as I cant see who u you mean? :?

lol me too

i just quoted info from another source, not guilty m'lud

I think most people weren't aiming their comments at anyone in paticular but making general statements, I know I was!! Yes I referred to what Kim had said but wasn't aiming it at her :?
It's silly we can't all talk about things without it turning into a debate, we all have our own opinions on things like this because we all do it differently but it doesn't mean what you're doing is wrong. :hug: :hug: :hug:

Kim&Leah said:
GROUP HUG :D :D :D

and a group kiss of midna :moon:

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

120px-Face-kiss.svg.png

Jo, if you give jJames rice in his bottle hun, you do it - your his mother and you know what hes like and hes obviously enjoying it.

mrs_tommo22 said:
Jo, if you give jJames rice in his bottle hun, you do it - your his mother and you know what hes like and hes obviously enjoying it.

Jen you mean hun! Thought u were talking bout me then hehe I got all confused! :lol:

ha ha yep, ive always called her jo cos of her forum name :rotfl:

J-Do1979 > see from her name, ive called her jo lol

Obviously i mean jen - sorry Jen, i feel like a prime thickshít now! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

mrs_tommo22 said:

Thanks lady! (it is Jen by he way!) I do feel like i know whats best for my baby!! I do believe in guidelines and following em where appropriate but I really feel that because of his size, these particular guidelines dont apply to him and as you say he is enjoying it and is a thriving, healthy happy baby which is all that matters!

:hug:

Hee hee just seen your last post!! Dont worry about it - its an easy mistake to make - my profile name is a bit confusing!! :hug: :hug:

Well Jen at least I know your real name now :cheer:

But I had to give Stephen babyriceonce in his bottle, it didnt work for him, but i wont berate anyones choices that they make for their baby. Your an intelligent woman and you know what he needs.

All babies meet different requirements.

When Mason was a baby the recommendation was 4 months, so thats what I did, with Brody I waited a bit longer but didn't last until 6 months.
I would never wean earlier than 4 months, and would aim to do it as late as possible after that.

This has been a really interesting debate actually its nice to see so many different opinions. Also makes me laugh that every HV in the whole country seems to think differently. aren't they all taught the same?!?!

Im the complete opposite my son has never been a hungry baby if any thing im worried he doesnt take in enough milk. i can only get him to take a bottle every 4ish hours and he basically sleeps through the night. the other night he wouldnt take his 7pm feed so i put him to bed thinking he'd wake a couple hours later but he didnt until 6am! He went from half 3pm to 6 the following morning with nothing and didnt complain. worried me slightly. he usually has 5 bottles in 24hrs. I usually make up 6oz but he very rarely finishes them. My HV suggested weaning because he might not be getting enough but im really not keen on the idea. hes only 14weeks and its not like hes not putting on weight. he was 7lbs 2oz born and at 12 weeks he was 13lbs.

happy_chick said:
[quote="lisa&alex":eek:s535xn8]i think that people have been mentioning that their babies have now been waking during the night when they ahve previously slept right through.. also quoting beanie and then seeing other people replying to this quote.. i dont think anyone was having a pop at anyone or suggesting just because a few people in the beginning mentioned that their baby was now waking that they are going to wean because they are tired.

Just out of interest, who said that they were going to wean because they are tired as I cant see who u you mean? :?[/quote:eek:s535xn8]

i didnt say anyone was..mayb i shoulda worded it clearer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back