What time is bedtime??

Mrsstuart01

Reaction score
Finlay is 6 weeks old tomorrow and I'm cureby struggling to get him to go to bed before 11.30, sometimes it will be 12.30 or 1. He seems to have a really awake period late at night. I sort of had it in my head he should be going to bed no later than 8. Is this unrealistic? Is he too young fir that? He has his bath around 7 then gets fed and a story and I start trying to put him down, occasionally he'll cat nap but no longer than about half an hour, then ge gets up and is wide awake. He is bf just now but I'm starting to wonder if I gave h some formula before bed if he'd go down easier.
Am I being unrealistic? Is this normal in a baby so young? I'm not expecting him to sleep through or anything just sleep in longer blocks from earlier on in the evening.
How old are your babies and what tine is bedtime? Xx

AJ always went to bed around the same time as us at that age. Anytime between 11/12 after his last bottle, we'd head to bed.
As he got older he started settling earlier and eventually settled at a 7pm bedtime by himself. But that was months down the line.

Harry is 11 weeks now and he still only goes down at 9.30 doesn't matter what time we try and put him down he won't sleep properly, just nap

I wouldn't worry about it he's still very young and I def wouldn't give him formula on the basis to try and get him to sleep longer- there's no proof it does make them sleep for longer

I wasn't thinking the formula would get him to sleep longer, more that maybe he's up because he's looking for more milk and I don't have it (like last night!) xx

G was exactly the same at that age. She gradually brought it forward,
Although is still a bit of a night owl.

What makes you think you don't have enough milk - introducing formula
Will cause your supply to drop. Bits hard, but trust your body to produce enough - its very very rare that it doesn't

Xxx

On my iPhone - so cant see tickers :(

I don't think I'm producing enough because there are night's he's feeding and feeding and I've tried to hand express to check if he's getting anything and there's nothing left and he's still wanting more!! Xx

Grace slept through from 4 weeks but she's still going to bed when we do, she had her last feed at like 9:30 depending when she wakes in morning and will nap in evening n the minute we take her to bed she's wide awake, unless we feed her in our bed and she goes straight into her bed. Soon we're gonna feed then put straight to bed but 6 weeks is still very young, honestly it's normal. I didn't have enough milk for grace, I pumped n pumped n got 30 ml most times, my body wouldn't produce but grace only wanted the breast n not bottle, in special care they finally got her to take bottle a bit but formula did make her sleep better but I think it was only because my milk supply was so Low. Try pumping, but remeber breast milk is better for the baby and filling even if it is a little they don't need so much breast milk x

It's a bit early for babies to know the difference between night and day, my lo went to bed at 9 ish if we were lucky, some nights it was 4am :( and woke every 2-3 hours until about 10 weeks. Bedtime now is 7pm latest, last bottle at 6.40pm. Hth

The milk is always there hun as it constantly replenishes- even when I express with my electric pump I can think its all gone but Harry will still feed from the same boob xx

I wasn't thinking the formula would get him to sleep longer, more that maybe he's up because he's looking for more milk and I don't have it (like last night!) xx

You will produce as much milk as your baby needs, don't worry - when your breasts settle, they don't 'feel' full, so even if you think here isn't any, baby will still get what they need :)

Last edited:
were anytime between 10 n 12 depending on feeds xx

Ruby goes to bed between 7.00 and 7.30 , when she was your LO age she would go down between 11.00 and 12.00. She gradually brought her bedtime forward on her own xxxx

That's great thanks ladies! Think I'll stop stressing that he's up too late and enjoy time with him and oh when he comes in from work xx

Trust your body hun. The only way you know if LO isn't getting enough is by getting them weighed. I used to have the same worries but LO is probably just upping your milk supply.

Oh and at that age, my LO was going to bed between 10.30-12 lol. You could try putting him down earlier then feeding before you go to bed?

I wouldnt stress hun- Like others have said LO went to bed late on (between 10 and 12 I think Ethan was) for quite a while. He brought it forward gradually on his own and now goes to bed between 7 and 8 usually. Like u say, just enjoy the time together xxx

Lewis used to go to bed around 11-12, it's only this last month or so he's gradually brought it down to around 9pm on his own. I don't think it's important to change their routines early on unless they're too ridiculous. I quite enjoyed the lay ins during the school holidays too!

Aila has always settled around ten or half ten & she is 7 weeks old. The other night she slept solid from 7pm i woke her at 10 for a bottle she took it went back asleep until 2am and was awake nearly constantly after that. Ive found if she stays awake during that period (7-10) which she usually does she will sleep bettter. So now i give her a bath around nine, let her kick about for a while on the bed then wrap her up and bottle time then bed and she usually sleeps until 5 or 6 am has a bottle then back down until 9. This however has only started recently so im terrified ive just jinxed it :) xxx

At 4-6 weeks babies have a growth spurt and feeding at night is what they do to up the supply.
My lo was the same at that age.
The difference was that i didnt have enough milk but i knew it because he wasnt gaining enough weight

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Roman has his last feed about 11-11.30pm (depends when his last feed is due but normally around that time everynight) and sleeps till 5-5.30am, have a bottle and sleep 3hours. long may it last x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back