what if you dont return to work??????

BeckyJ

Reaction score
if after your maternity leave you decide not to return to work do you have to pay any maternity pay back to your employer?

is there any sites that state this?

someone at work is not returning and my employer was on about them having to pay money back? i said i didnt think you would but i said id have a look (because id like to know for myself)

any help would be great thanks

It totally depends on our company maternity policy, yes if you get just SMP, your employer claims that back from the government anyway so they won't be out of pocket.
However, if they enhance the SMP a lot, or have a separate maternity pay policy, they can make you pay it back. My mate went back to work for like 2 months just so her employer couldn't do this LOL

In my company you get full pay, so most of it smp then the rest made up to your full wage, if i don't go back I have to pay it back. But I can just go back for a week and then hand my notice in and there is nada they can do about it :lol:

you normally have to return for 4 weeks (or the equivalent if you work part time), one way round this is to save annual leave and take this immediatly AFTER your mat leave, that is then classed as returning to work, or apply for a career break and leave you options open, though if you didnt return after a career break SOME employers may still ask for the mat leave back!!!!!!

I work for the NHS and their policy is if you don't return you have to pay all the money back. What you can do is return for 3 months then hand your notice in. Every employer is different, check with your HR

My employers offer enhanced pay (10 extra weeks at 90%) which doesn't have to be paid back if you don't return, yippee. But companies do vary.

My company only gave me the bare minimum which was the SMP so I owed them nothing!

check what you have recieved and what you owe....

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itsa1231
Back