So many questions Aaaargghhh!!!

lulu

Reaction score
I'm really confused about the whole maternity pay thing, why does it have to be so complicated!!!???

Right, I currently work 23.5 hours a week and have worked for the same service for 19 months. If I continue to work for them I get statutory maternity pay and occupational maternity pay. The OMP has to be paid back if you do not return to work for at least 3 months.

I was thinking of leaving work as Im in a new role and not enjoying it so much. I requested to be moved but its been refused. I was thinking of temping but what does that make me entitled to with maternity pay?

Also, I am hoping to go to university in September/October. If I do whilst on maternity leave (even though Im not planning to return to the same job) does my maternity pay stop? What would I then be entitled to? Should I look at going on maternity leave soon to get the 6-9 months in before I start uni?

I cant seem to find the right info on the internet and really need to find this stuff out - PLEASE HELP!!! :wall: :wall: :(

that's a difficult one, personally I would think that your maternity leave entitlements would stop if you started uni whilst technically on maternity leave, I assume that Uni would be full time???
I think that the only people that will be able to properly advise you would be your personnel people, you could always think about taking your full maternity leave and then applying for a career break to start immediatly after you maternity leave ends. a career break can normally be asked for for a period of 6 months upto 5 years and is unpaid but it leaves your options open.

well the update is I have been offered an unconditional place at University from October.

I worked out (not sure if this is right) that as I dont plan to go back to work I get smp at 90% of my wage for the first 6 weeks and then £112 something, thereafter!!! - how crap is that!!!

question is now, when do I start my maternity leave!!!???

Anyone been in a similar situation???

:?

You'd be more likely to have to claim SMA not SMP if you quit your job and temp, as you won't be with any one company long enough to be entitled to maternity pay via it. You've worked enough weeks it sounds like to be entitled to claim SMA via the Jobcentre anyways. Give your local Jobcentre a call to ask about all this. They can explain more.

Quitting your job now will mean you forfeit any maternity pay via them, but you can claim it via the Jobcentre at the (lesser) standard rate. Its not ideal, but its better than nothing. I quit my job before Christmas and am not able to start my maternity pay claim till nearer the end of Feb, but thats ok by me.

And re the uni, I think your maternity pay would be stopped, but again, you would need to ask when speaking to the Jobcentre, they can advise you.

You have to work out the best time for you re when to start it. There is a legal limit to how soon you can start claiming, so work out your dates and go from there.
Its a specific matter you wanted answered and there are people at the Jobcentre who can answer it all, or at least point you in the right direction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back