What have they done to my baby :-(

Fingers crossed

Reaction score
Maybe I'm over reacting but I went upstairs earlier I came back down and OH was giving Jess a bottle of water, I wouldn't have minded so much but I knew there wasn't even a sterilized bottle. From what I can see in the kitchen he used one that was in the microwave sterilizer but hadn't been sterilized in over a week and the container wasn't even shut properly. I didn't say anything to him cos his mum was there, she is down visiting for a couple of days. It gets worse. MIL was sitting holding Jess on the sofa and I saw her dummy on the floor, I was going to go and pick it up when I could get past OH, he was playing on the Wii, then I saw her picking the dummy up. The next time I'd looked round she had put the dummy in Jess's mouth :shock:, my carpet hasn't even been hoovered for a few days and it looks like it, I have a hairy, smelly, incontinent dog too and the floor was filthy, I felt myself welling up and had to go out the room :cry: . I know I should've said something, but I was too shocked. Me and OH was going to go out for a couple of hours this evening whilst his mum babysat, but I made an excuse to stay in. I'm probably worse about it cos I used to have a 'thing' about germs when I was younger, I was always telling my family to wash their hands, and I'm always making sure the work tops and chopping boards are cleaned with sterilizing fluid before I prepare food. I just feel so sad and let down that they would even consider giving her dirty stuff :( :(

That's awful! I've not cleaned my kitchen floor in ages, I wouldn't put something in my own mouth after dropping it at the moment... although I expect your carpet isn't as bad as mine!

I'm behind you with this!

Aww hun I dont blame you, I would have felt the same. :hug:

You need to tell your OH how strongly you feel about it so he can support you even if he thinks you are being neurotic, youre her Mum and she is still so tiny, so what you say goes, not what his Mum thinks is OK. You dont need the extra stress! Or get him on the back of the hoover for you! :lol:

if my OH or MIL did either of those things they would quickly know how I feel! No harm will have come to her but that's not the point - mummy rules I'm afraid and your MIL has to learn..... :hug:

ps. she wouldn't have meant any harm but we all have different views on bringing up children and if you don't make this clear now it will get worse I'm afraid. good luck.xxx

I'd have been the same. I feel obsessed with making sure people and things around Luke are clean and sterile. I'd have felt upset too.

I don't know if this will help, but the general rule of things dropping on the floor and being put back in LO's mouth is that as long as it didn't come in contact with something wet on the floor its OK, because she will already have been well exposed to all the germs on your floor, doggy germs included :hug:

When water is involved it can grow quite nasty bacteria which can lead to upset tummys and the like and so as long as its a dry surface it should be fine :hug: That's why if you give your LO a bottle, formula or water etc you should take it off them after an hour and give them fresh.

However, if you are outside its generally better not to put the item back in LO's mouth but at home I really wouldn't worry about the germ issue and I think maybe you should bring it up with your OH? I'm sure neither him nor your MIL intended on upsetting you, and if you mention things now it will save you upset in the future months :hug: Very best wishes :hug:

Id have been upset too as your daughter is so young, i think you better explain to your mil how you do things. And dont feel bad for it, she sghould reapect that its your baby.

Your not being silly at all and even without your history its just common sense not to do stuff like that !!! Just let them know youd rather they were a bit more careful in future with LO ! :) :hug:

:hug: I completely understand hun, you are right to be upset about it.

Im a bit neurotic about germs as everyone around me always seems to be ill all the time and we're always getting loads of colds and sinus congestion. I was also annoyed when my MIL, FIL and the very junkie looking BIL came to see LO when he was born and they had just literally come off a plane, and were all poking him everywhere and touching his mouth and I was absolutely livid. :twisted: Do these people not think at all???? Anyway, at home I don't have a carpet, (its not a thing to have in this hot country) but I do sweep and mop floor regularly as the dog can bring mud and crap in from the garden, and I simply wipe over all the surfaces once a day with dettol wipes. If I was you I would explain the danger of germs to your OH and hope that next time something happens he can put his mother right. Then you have to let it go and forget it otherwise you'll eat yourself up inside with worry. :hug:

Redshoes said:
I don't know if this will help, but the general rule of things dropping on the floor and being put back in LO's mouth is that as long as it didn't come in contact with something wet on the floor its OK, because she will already have been well exposed to all the germs on your floor, doggy germs included :hug:

When water is involved it can grow quite nasty bacteria which can lead to upset tummys and the like and so as long as its a dry surface it should be fine :hug: That's why if you give your LO a bottle, formula or water etc you should take it off them after an hour and give them fresh.

However, if you are outside its generally better not to put the item back in LO's mouth but at home I really wouldn't worry about the germ issue and I think maybe you should bring it up with your OH? I'm sure neither him nor your MIL intended on upsetting you, and if you mention things now it will save you upset in the future months :hug: Very best wishes :hug:
That's good to know. Thanks evryone for your support. I nearly got revenge yesterday, I was making bacon butties for brekkie (not for me cos I'm veggie) and I very nearly wiped her bacon on my kitchen floor which is considerably dirtier than my carpet :lol: but I just couldn't bring myself to do it

My LO dropped her dummy on the floor in the pub the other day when we were having dinner and my freind said just put it in your mouth and give it back to her! WTF?? How many people have had their dirty shoes on the pub floor I wouldn't want to put it in my mouth and like that will kill the germs! More worrying is that she is a nursery nurse!

I also have a thing about germs and am obsessive about hand washing and cleaning the surfaces.

sass said:
My LO dropped her dummy on the floor in the pub the other day when we were having dinner and my freind said just put it in your mouth and give it back to her! WTF?? How many people have had their dirty shoes on the pub floor I wouldn't want to put it in my mouth and like that will kill the germs! More worrying is that she is a nursery nurse!

I also have a thing about germs and am obsessive about hand washing and cleaning the surfaces.

This is something I do if it's dropped onto the chair, or the bedding or something at home. I think that's fine, but never somewhere like a pub floor! YUCK! Just take a spare dummy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JenniferU
Back