What do you think of the NHS?

kirlykird said:
if you don't like it go for the other option & pay, don't use the free option & then moan about it :)

But it's not free really? We pay our taxes/NI which covers the cost of NHS. Why shouldn't we complain about it when the service is poor. When it's things that can be prevented such as cleaning and bedside manner.

Yes we do pay into a national insuraance fund but if you take into account the cost of the treatments that we use, if you look in the BNF at the drugs that we use, how much of this is actually subsidised I think that we are very well off.

Personally I have never had a problem with the bedside manner of doctors, midwives, nurses etc & when I was a child and used to stay in Bupa hospitals, I didn't find that the attitude of the nurses is any different or better to NHS nurses etc ... That's just my opinion :)

Yes and your opinion is fine cos it's based on your experience but I do think it's unfair for you to say 'don't use the free option & then moan about it' I don't think you can say something like that unless you have experienced the crap end of NHS treatment. Just my opinion tho ey.. :lol:

I have experienced the crap end of the NHS though too. What makes you think that I haven't just out of interest? :)

kirlykird said:
I don''t have a problem with the NHS.

I'm quite happy with the service that it provides and I would rather have a longer waiting list than have to pay to see my GP or pay for my health care.

yes but like i was saying in my post, long waiting lists can be fatal. as horrible as it may sound, it can give you the time to die. so if i knew i was in that situation i definately WOULD pay to save my life! :lol: but again that's nobody's fault, i put it down to overcrowding.

kirlykird said:
Personally my opinion is if you don't like it go for the other option & pay, don't use the free option & then moan about it :)

when i see the amount of money that goes into taxes i think people have every right to complain. we are paying for it indirectly (and long term it amounts to quite a significant sum) so i think it's ok to be concerned

kirlykird said:

I'm quite happy with the service that it provides and I would rather have a longer waiting list than have to pay to see my GP or pay for my health care.

I look back over my life and how the system with it's faults or without has helped my family and myself & the reconstruction of my older 2's hands could never have been done had I had to pay privately.

Yes the NHS is under strain but we are a growing nation. I wouldn't wish for private health care to replacce the NHS as so many people would go without and I believe that this would end with a higher mortality rate than we have now. Personally my opinion is if you don't like it go for the other option & pay, don't use the free option & then moan about it :)

I believe that healthcare is provided to the best means that the individuals within the NHS working system ca provide & I am grateful for it :)

I do agree with you laetitia there but I am getting more to the point of if people can afford to pay for private healthcare and are unhappy with the NHS system, why not ease the NHS burden slightly and go for the private sector if that is what they prefer anyway...

Sorry I don't feel like that completely comes across as I want it too... I just can't express myself today... :wall: If I was talking, I would have tongue tie :rotfl:

Sweetcheeks24 said:
kirlykird said:

I look back over my life and how the system with it's faults or without has helped my family and myself & the reconstruction of my older 2's hands could never have been done had I had to pay privately.

Yes the NHS is under strain but we are a growing nation. I wouldn't wish for private health care to replacce the NHS as so many people would go without and I believe that this would end with a higher mortality rate than we have now. Personally my opinion is if you don't like it go for the other option & pay, don't use the free option & then moan about it :)

I believe that healthcare is provided to the best means that the individuals within the NHS working system ca provide & I am grateful for it :)

Just because I choose to list my positive experiences doesn't mean that I haven't experienced the opposite spectrum either though does it? I just choose to be positive about what we have and have access to. I personally don't see the point myself in pointing fault at a system that can help me and my family that's all :)

i think that no matter how much money you throw at the NHS it wont be enough.
if it was privatised it would allow some competion in the market and i think offer better facilities and treatments.
personally if i suspected i had something awful i would rather pay to see a consultant the next day than have to wait 2 weeks to see an NHS one.

My mum worked as a doctor in the NHS for years. She had some terrible experiences working in it long before the 'Thatcherite' years so I don't think the Tories can solely be blamed for the state of the NHS. I think nu-Labour has done a lot of damage to it and virtually privatized it. Its not really free either as you pay through your taxes and then you often have to pay for treatment at source anyway a lot of the time. I think the people who work in it providing care tend to be lovely and dedicated. The midwives who delivered my LO were fantastic and I couldn't have been more impressed. However, my GP is crap and a lot of hospitals are shabby and falling apart, but mostly its the beauracracy, reams of unnecessary paperwork and and 'managers' that in my opinion are the ultimate cause of its demise. :(

Dinski said:
but mostly its the beauracracy, reams of unnecessary paperwork and and 'managers' that in my opinion are the ultimate cause of its demise. :(

I agree with you here Dinksi! The amount of time it takes to sit & do paperwork per shift is astonishing when you think how long it keeps you away from patient hands on care which is what I personally have the passion for :)

kirlykird said:
Dinski said:
but mostly its the beauracracy, reams of unnecessary paperwork and and 'managers' that in my opinion are the ultimate cause of its demise. :(

I agree with you here Dinksi! The amount of time it takes to sit & do paperwork per shift is astonishing when you think how long it keeps you away from patient hands on care which is what I personally have the passion for :)
i used to think that but with the suing culture we live in now its necessary.
it used to really p me off then this ridiculous complaint come in about a patients treatment and they pulled the notes on this patient and because of my documentation was so thorough and explained what happened when and why it made it alot easier to tell them to bugger off :wink:
as crap as it can be it has saved me a few times.

i work for the nhs and think it has its ups and downs, if only you could get the same standard of care whereever you live, there are so many inequalities out there and its all about managing budgets, on the whole i think the staff do there best with what rsources and time they have, but there are a few exceptions that don't seem to give a toss about patient care - so what the hell are they diong in the caring profession?

rusks said:
there are a few exceptions that don't seem to give a toss about patient care - so what the hell are they diong in the caring profession?

thank you :clap:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back