• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What did you want to be when you grew up???

soulem

Reaction score
When you were little waht did you want to be when you were grown, and are you doing that job now???

I wanted to teach drama and english from being about 8!! I MADE my junior school start up a drama club and we did loads of stuff in school and the local theatre. I passed my English and drama exams at secondary school with flying colours BUT when I applied at college they wouldn't let me do theatre studies as I couldn't sing!! So the dream went out of the window at 17.

I'm now studying for a degree with the OU and would like to be a midwife ONE DAY!!

I've never really been career orientated, I always liked the idea of being a good old fashioned housewife and mum, which explains my love now of all things vintage and my penchant for WWII cookery and home made aprons, heh!

Although, when I was little, after I had dallied with the idea of being an ice skater for about two weeks, I really wanted to be a fashion designer. I then at fifteen, decided I wanted to be a published author.

I'm now a housewife and still aspire to be a published writer.

Always wanted to be a Vet but I couldn't deal with animals dying so decided against it :lol:

I wanted to be a foreign translator, took Russian and french to A level then discovered booze and boys, etc

I now wipe bums for a living.

Poetic justice :rotfl: :rotfl:

I wanted to be a midwife too when I was younger. I went off that idea when I realised I am rubbish when people are in pain.

I wanted to be a solicitor for a good few years because I knew they earned good money. But in the end I realised it wasn't what I really wanted to do.

I have always loved kids and doing voluntary work with people with disabilities, so now I am a Special Needs Teacher and I really love it.

About to embark on a new venture though...I am planning to be a SAHM next year :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

a bus driver or check out girl :rotfl: i've done every job but these!

I wanted to be a nurse like my mam lol

I trained to be a sports physio and a holistic therapist instead. Now im a SAHM going to college online to become a counsellor for children and adolescents

I wanted to be a doctor (my mum was a nurse) but after my mother kindly informed me there's loads of people puking up everywhere and I have a severe aversion to vomiting.... so that was that dream out the window..

So I decided to go into enginnering... did really well (it was a 5 year apprenticeship)... but got tangled up with my abusive ex who hated me leaving the house and wouldn't let me go to college unless he was with me, then my life spiralled out of control with him, till he was arrested for domestic violence and I was hospitalised for several months... I missed so much of my work that I couldn't catch up....

In the meantime I met my DD's father and fell pregnant (real quick like in three months of meeting).... and just decided I couldn't keep up with my engineering...and left... Once I had DD though I went back to college and did my degree in computer programming and Business management. Would have gone on to do my masters but couldn't come up with the 3.000quid it would have cost me to do it, its rather hard for a single mum to get that kinda cash full stop... So that was that dream out the window..

I moved to Spain to be closer to my parents for child care reasons and have just sorta flitted between administration jobs for the past 6 years. Not very fullfilling really... :?

I was horse-mad when I was younger and convinced I wanted to work with horses, until I realised it would most likely involve working outside in all weathers and for not much money! :rotfl:
Went on to do a history degree and then decided I wanted to be a midwife...worked with people with learning disabilities for a while and got as far as applying to uni last year before rather ironically discovering I was pregnant. Now I think I want to be a nurse as there's so much more variety, but not sure whether this will be possible with LO and no family nearby.
:think:

annem said:

haha thought id be the only one who wanted to be a checkout operator as my dream job when i was younger haha!!!

I now do my 'dream' job....

xxx :rotfl:

I always wanted to be a dentist :puke:
My mom told me i needed to be good at Science at school to be a dentist so that went out the window, and I think I'm glad... :think: :puke:

I now am a finance assistant for the police.. for the time being until I look for a job closer to home.

Technically I'm still not grown up yet.
When i did ballet and irish dancing,I wanted to be a dancer.When I had my horse,I was all set to have a riding school
(fees at enniskillen campus cut that short fairly quickly).

Now I reckon I'll go to uni,do a history degree,and be one of those talking heads on history documentaries.

Or failing that,I quite fancy journalism

I always wanted to be a policewoman, but then at school they showed a video of an accident where the police were helping out, and the thought of blood and stuff put me off.

I'm now a computer programmer and support person.

The one thing I never wanted to do was be a checkout operator, gues what my job is? :rotfl:

well i wanted to be a seceratary, a nurse, a pathologist.

i never did any of them apart form run a residential floor of an elderly peoples home.

I am now a SAHM and going to college part time to do my english and maths (english i have now passed) and then will go on to do my midwifery.

i wanted to be a dr or a shrink???i was a strange child :lol:
im a nurse now so sort of along those lines.

i wanted to be a train driver lol

i work for a supermarket, well currently on mat leave still but am still employed by them :wink: :roll:

tattybear85 said:
annem said:

haha thought id be the only one who wanted to be a checkout operator as my dream job when i was younger haha!!!

I now do my 'dream' job....

xxx :rotfl:

:rotfl: is it as good as i dreamt it would be!!

oooh lets see.....from about 8 to leaving school I wanted to be;

A vet
A social worker
A graphic designer
An archaeologist
An architect (think I was working my way through the "arch..'s" hehe)
An airplane hostess
A writer
A muscian

I am the last 2 so thats not too bad

Then when I left school I done hairdressing for a year and got bored, then done the first year of the AAT (accounting degree thingy) and got bored, done a year of a marine biology degree, then finally my social science degree which has never really to any kind of related work atall lol

Since all that ive just been like squig, poodling between various admin jobs, but in the last 5 years have also decided at various points I want to be an approved inspector, an archaeologist again, and last year I was adamant I wanted to be a property developer.

Fickle? Me? never!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clark Gracen
Back