What did you buy and haven't used???

BabyMagic

Reaction score
So tell me is there anything you bought while pregnant or after LO was born and haven't used so far?

I only used my breast pump once, and haven't used it since. I haven't used the bottles at all or containers where to store them. LO loves the booby!!!

I also haven't used the second sling I bought.

kellysomer said:
talc and half the clothes he got given. :rotfl:

True!!! We were given soooo many clothes and just couldn't wear them all (not to mention that some of them weren't my taste :oops: ).

Laracromps - I am so with you. I couldn't be bothered with disposables... I use biodegradable at times, but LOs bum doesn't seem to like them as much so can only use them for a short time (definitely NOT at night)

Pampers. Ended up giving them away to a friend who's just had a baby. Don't get on with run of the mill disposables.
Top and tail bowl
Loads of clothes
2.5 tog 0-6 month Grobag - and I knew I was having a late spring/summer baby, duh!
Johnson's wipes - the first one I used made her bum come out in a rash so they haven't seen the light of day since.
Breast pump. Never produced anything so expressing wasn't much use!

talc,baby clothes,baby box,baby bath,bouncy chair think thats it :oops:

Gosh, loads!

Breat Pump
Bottles
Dummies
Baby Bath
Top & Tail bowl
Disposable bibs
Clothes (I had things like summer dresses bought in 0-3 months and I had a winter baby!)
Loads of cot bedding...she is never in the bloody cot!

I could go on!

We've actually used everything we bought (other than a few items of clothing in the early days but then we never over bought in that department anyways).

I was pretty frugal with baby things. I made sure I didn't buy tons of toys and gadgets as I knew most of them would go unused. We also knew we would not get much in the way of gifts or clothes for LO so were able to buy only what we wanted, not what other people thought we might want.

Big things we got and used

TummyTub (most days)
Bouncer (been good since 8-9 weeks old)
Breast pump, bought after 5 weeks of BF'ing (I expressed a fair bit on and off but don't atm)
Baby carrier - OH uses this :)
Moses basket and fitted sheets
Sleeping bags in 1 and 2.5 tog. LO used the 2.5 tog in the early days and is back in it now its cooler. Great buy.

As for the rest, things like bibs I never planned on using till older so have a few waiting to see action when we get onto weaning. Never got things like a steriliser, top and tail bowl, toiletries. We were given some baby toiletries and I promptly gave them away to another mum to be.

There really isn't anything we got we've not used. I think it paid us to really look carefully at how we live and what we wanted for our baby and how to achieve it with the least fuss and expense.

*Loads of clothes that he grew out of too quickly.
*Napper wrapper that is still sat brand new in his room!
*Baby box (the big bottles don't fit in them :roll:)
*Baby Bath (we used for a few weeks then it was easier just to use the bath!)
*Muslin Cloths. We just used bibs.
*Baby Carrier. A sling is so much more comfortable :D
*Hooded baby towels. They are cute but only fit for about a year and then you have to buy 'normal' sized towels!

Oh yes, LO doesn't use her dummies either. She refuses them even though her grandma bought about six different types when trying to convince her to have one :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

I already have about 15 bibs (all presents) but as I am keen to try BLW I think the bibs with sleeves may prove worthwhile. I don't understand why so many bibs are SOOOOO tiny. They are pretty yes, but don't look very practical.

Well done Sherlock for being frugal. Tbh I've been the same. I just wonder how long people will keep showering presents :think: ? It doesn't possibly help that LO is the only baby in both families. I have warned relatives though that as she gets older they are not allowed to bring a toy every time as I want her to appreciate people and NOT what they bring.

Oh yes, and I forgot to say that LO still hasn't worn any of the beautiful gold jewellery she has been given by OHs relatives (gold is big in Indian culture) - nor have I (I don't wear that much jewellery) :oops: I have been told that it would be good to pierce LOs ears when she is a baby so that it wouldn't hurt as much... :talkhand: :talkhand: :talkhand: No thanks. I want her to ask for it...

-baby carrier (he hated feeling 'stuffy' and enclosed)
-snowsuits (have three totally un-used, given as gifts !)
-tiny baby clothing (bought these as I had signs of labour since wk 27...but with hospital treatment and rest we got up to week 38 and a whopping 8 lbs 5!)

here is my list!!

baby bath-used twice
lots of clothes bought for us- but i managed to change most of them to bigger sizes , can take anything back if still got tags on. preffered sleepsuits for first 2 months really.
talc
muslins
swing-used for 2 months but should have bought a bouncer really
tried and tested loads of different bottles and teats, ended up using Avent with Mam Teat!
microwavable steriliser- prefer cold water one
fleece blanket from mothercare-too hot even in winter
xx

Top and tail bowl
And lots and lots of summer clothes my MIL bought him, the weather here has been awful. lots of them are neutral so will use them for the next one when it comes along!
Bumbo - James just didn't like it and kept trying to escape!

as Cally was my second we had a fair amount of stuff from Seren. Though if I had bought them for Cally the thing I would not have used is a buggy - she has been in one once for about half an hour and thats it. Also the bumbo - Seren loved it, Cally hates it, prefers to sit by herself with cushions for support.

Minxie - I was also given two snowsuits and LO was born in spring!!!!

:oops: Am I the only one using the top and tail bowl? I actually find it quite useful for LOs morning wash (I put water in one of the compartments and used cotton in another. I only use cotton once so that don't dirty the water being used - waste of cotton I know)...

Top & tail
Bottles
Sterilizer
Cot
Loads of Clothes
Baby shoes
Toys
Snowsuit

Muslins
Breast pump
Clothes (especially sleeping suits) & shoes
Maya ring sling (Louis seems to prefer the Hotslings pouch and the Babyhawk mei-tai... and the Baby Bjorn now that he can face forward)

I think i've used everything except for my ring sling - Fi hates it!

i couldn't live without my muslins!
we have TONS of bibs which we don't use often at the moment but i have used them and will when we wean!

Things i bought but don't use..

2 slings 1 ring 1 wrap
cot bought a organic natrual matress toq! :roll:
cloth nappies.. mainly because of drying time
breast pump, bottles, dummy and sterliser.

Thats about £600 wasted! :wall:

I use my top and tail bowl Babymagic at every nappy change.. still using water and cottonwool. :)

I've also been fairly frugal when it comes to buying baby stuff - mostly due to lack of space. There's probably only a couple of things I've bought that I haven't used - a foam bath support (am still using the bathroom sink for baths and by the time LO is big enough to graduate to 'the big bath' she probably won't need it) and the sleeping/gro bags - so far it's been too hot to use them and have only been swaddeling her in a muslin - but will hopefully get some use out of them once the weather starts cooling down and before she's too big for them - lucky she's on the small side!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waqas432
Back