Wedding with a toddler

puzzle

Reaction score
Hello everyone
Not sure if i am posting in the right section so sorry if i'm not.
Basically i have a 28 month old little girl and in 2 months we have a very close friends wedding to attend. I am worried she is gonna play up and we will have to leave or something.
There will be other children there but any ideas for keeping her quiet and still as possible while the ceremony is going on?
I seem fresh out of ideas. The last time i went to a wedding i was only 19 and pre-baby so it was just turn up have to many drinks and food and go home lol.

Any tips and ideas gratefully recieved. xx

Take some things with you to amuse her. If she's been invited then I'm sure they know how toddlers can be. Sit at the end of an aisle for easy escape in the event of a meltdown. Take a new book or new toy and dont get it out until the ceremony starts. Explain before that they need to be quiet and they might actually be really interested in what's happening. :)

I agree with Merv's Mum in that you should get a new toy that is really interesting and lots going on (without noise?!) and then get it out at the last minute :)

Thanks for the suggestions girls. Any suggestions on what exactly? lol.
Don't think she would look at a book long enough unless it had lotsa flaps or something. Maybe some colouring pencils and pad? What do you all think?

I wouldnt get into colouring - travel Aqua Draws might work if she likes drawning.

You know your child better than us. Pick something you think they'd love. I suggested a book because my LO loves books - what does your toddler like?

They are at an age when they will understand when you tell them the you need them to be quiet - even if they dont listen!

Yeah my LO loves books too just not sure how long one will hold her interest long without it also being read to her.
I probably just worry too much really. Thankfull got a couple of months yet to think of the perfect things. How long does a ceremony even last usually??

Buy a little pack of books and you can always whisper. Depends on the wedding and what type of ceremony they are having. A full church service with communion/mass can be a good hour or civil service can be done in 10 mins - ask your friends.

Last edited:
Ooo good idea!! It's a church service but other than that i am not to sure, i'll have to call her later and bug her with all my annoying questions. Then i know the reception is a proper sit down 3 course meal. Oh for the simple things like a civil service and knees up down the pub or local church hall. lol

toys sweets food anything :D but if she does play up just take her out. the whole way through my wedding there was noisy kids and my mum didnt hear the vows. i didnt mind the kids but their folks should have taken them out i thought. BUT the kids at my wedding had nothing to amuse themselves with!! she should be fine if you bring her plenty to play with. dont expect her to sit still or u might be disappointed!! lol let her have run of the pew xx

I did party/activity bags for all the kids at my wedding so they werent bored at the reception. I think if you invite kids you either accept that they may make some noise or you need to do something to avoid it! I did the later and bought them bubbles and sticker books etc.

yeah MM we had bought stuff for the reception also but hadnt even considered the church. But when my LO comes along if i was in a church service i would not have my child screaming in tears through the service i would bring stuff to amuse them if that fails leave during the important part so everyone else can enjoy it :D xx

I think my flower girl was taken out at one point for being noisy! :lol: I think if it were a friends wedding ie not a close friend or relation, I'd make sure I was further back or on a side pew at the end so I could sneak out easily.

haha my flower girl was being a madame too but the giggling and all that wasnt so bad it was the tantrums and tears. but it prob saved my mum from blubbing so maybe a blessing in disguise lol xx

Thanks for all the tips girls. Not dreading it quite so much now.

youll be fine. as MM says if they dont want children there they wouldnt have asked them. lots of people dont bring kids to wedding exc. flower girl and page boy so they must expect it.. :D xx

Yeah Lisa you're right, she has a few going i believe. I know at least my daughter and her brothers boy is younger and really boisterous. So we should be ok. xx

The first and only wedding lucie went to was a nightmare, but luckily it was in a hotel and I ended up taking her, and my sisters two up to the hotel rooms quite early on. They just get so tired cos its such a long day and there is so much excitement. The three of them just ran wild for the whole day... and so by about 4pm they were tired and grumpy!

Lucie was meant to go to another wedding with me at the end of December, but I managed to get someone else to be watching her that night... i really couldn't have handled that again. I was absolutely shattered!!!!

i have been wondering the same thing! we're getting married september and my daughter will be 26/27months by then, and i imagine saying our vows with either her sitting on my hip or sitting on her potty :lol: i do think if you invite children then you kinda no they unpredictable. loving the idea of a little activity bag lisa!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back