Wearing sling pain

Geordie&Bairn

Reaction score
Am i the only one who finds the weight of thier child to heavy in the sling??
I know some of you wear toddlers so findng after half an hour Coliers weight of 14lb to much am i a weakling
I used to love carrying in my sling now its kills me shoulder and hurts my back
ANd yes my postures is correct and hes in the sling correctly well the same as he used to be
So why dose it hurt so much even James feels the weight and pressure after a while of carrying Collier :think:

help :pray:
i dont want to stop using it as its easier to get about with then a pushchair for short journeys

sarah xxx

I find Angel hurts my shoulder after a short time too. I just nipped to Asda and carried her round in the sling but after a few minutes i find it quite painful too.
But other times i'm ok. I was in town 2 hours the other day and was fine. I must've positioned her better. She's only about 13.5 lb.

What kind of sling are you using Sarah?
I had a 'modern' type chicco one at first and i had such a sore neck/shoulders, i then bought a mei tai sling from Babyhawk and it was immediately so much more comfy :clap: i carry him alot to get him to have naps in the day and get no pain despite being teeny tiny (5ft). The only drawback of the mei tai is that he can't face forward on my front now he has head control and is more interested in the world, but i'm going to look for a stretchy wrap sling now as i've heard great things about them on here and they can do loads of positions.
:hug:

Evie is still quite diddy but I have tried a sling and found it too heavy for me. I use the mei tai all the time now- I don't really know why I bother with a bloody pram!

Mines the red and black freedom sling i bought it of one of the pf girls

I have to admit i like the look of mai tia but the price puts me right of i havnt found a site that sells them at a resoanle rpice even on ebay they seem expensve :(

im a skin flint i know :lol:

How much did yours cost as i must be looking in the wrong place

Join the yahoo group UKbabywearingSWAP. It's pretty much a group for selling and buying carriers. Also rumplebums. Buying second hand will be cheaper. I like woven wraps - Lisa is reallly inexpensive :D

I love carrying ryan sround in the sling to as we live right next to places like sainsburys, dunelm, homebase, currys etc so i take him in the sling as its easier but i have a front carrier and he was killing my back!! I would get home and be basically ripping it off me as fast as i could!! But i bought a babasling yesterday so hoping i will find that better.

I agree with you tbh Ive got a freedom sling and I cant get on with it at all, i get really achy and it doesnt feel right! So if anyone wants it let me know lol maybe you will have more luck with it.

Would it interest you that I have a return listed on my site? Its never been used and its on at £30 inc delivery a bit cheaper than my new ones as one side is cotton drill instead of silk, or make me an offer!!!

xxx

I tried to walk around the docks (is that how you spell it :think: ) with Tally a few weeks back and my back was killing me afterwards!! It hurts cos i'm silly and dont swap shoulders each time i carry her.

Mines a baba sling and i can carry her usually for a while without it hurting and she can be on my back or forward facing etc. My back hurts a lot anyway from sitting wrongly when feeding her and stuff

I find that my shoulder used to hurt if lil miss was in the cradle hold of the sling but once she started being worn on the front or on the hip she was a lot easier to carry..

Saying that shes near 20lbs now and occasionally I'll get pain if I carry her for a long time. But mainly when shes being a nosy parker and leaning every which way to reach things or have a look at the floor. Once I correct her positioning its much easier... But I know what you mean by the pain... I think its quite common, and your sling has to be "just so" in order to minimise it... Its why its actually one of the more difficult methods of baby wearing.. The mei tais and wraps are better as they support the weight on both shoulders and are central, but they are a pain the booby feed in. Its also easier to wear them on your back tbh... dunno why that is..

In general though if you have pain its because the sling isn't correctly positioned and you either need to reposition it or get a different type of sling that supports the weight more evenly.. Its why I have a wrap and a mei tai... I have a pre existing neck/back/shoulder problems... inherited and from when an ex threw me down some concrete stairs. And on days when my back is bad, I change to the mei tai or wrap ...

kalia said:
Join the yahoo group UKbabywearingSWAP. It's pretty much a group for selling and buying carriers. Also rumplebums. Buying second hand will be cheaper. I like woven wraps - Lisa is reallly inexpensive :D

im worth a lot of money il have you know :shakehead: :rotfl: yeah i would suggest you asking the mums what they find comfy. freedom slings are ok for newborn but they get very impractical as the baby grows. you want something that is going to last that can see you through every stage. just like maria im pretty bias, ive only used ring slings, pouch slings and wrap slings and the wrap comes out on top every time. i love the look on the maitai, they are cute and come in stunning designs and marias are soooper sexeh.. and i love the comfyness of my wrap slings, i guess your gonna ahve to ask mummies their ideas :D good luck whatever you decide.xx

I don't use a pram at all and carry everywhere. Lately it's felt like I need someting more than slings/pouches and a baby bjorn front carrier - so I went and got myself a 'Yamo' (sort of mei tai thingy with buckles). It only arrived today but I wore it for about an hour and LOVE IT, most of her weight is on my hips so I don't feel it at all on my back and neck.

I was going to put her on my back to make things easier but TBH I don't need to now so I'll get her company for another month or so.

BTW - I had a couple of slings that no matter how carefully I placed them they just didn't seem to be comfy, it's worth shopping around sometimes.

maria1976 said:
I agree with you tbh Ive got a freedom sling and I cant get on with it at all, i get really achy and it doesnt feel right! So if anyone wants it let me know lol maybe you will have more luck with it.

Would it interest you that I have a return listed on my site? Its never been used and its on at £30 inc delivery a bit cheaper than my new ones as one side is cotton drill instead of silk, or make me an offer!!!

xxx

:think: :oops: £30 dont like spending money we do have a baby carrier and even in that he feels heavy after a while
need to know its going to be worth sorry i just havnt got much money

the skulls are not to my taste James would love it though his sort of thing
I love the physcadelic print mind its will cost more

I really want one as it will help me get out and about for longer with no pain
:think: :think:
Ill think about it and get back to you

Geordie&Bairn said:
maria1976 said:

xxx

:think: :oops: £30 dont like spending money we do have a baby carrier and even in that he feels heavy after a while
need to know its going to be worth sorry i just havnt got much money

the skulls are not to my taste James would love it though his sort of thing
I love the physcadelic print mind its will cost more

I really want one as it will help me get out and about for longer with no pain
:think: :think:
Ill think about it and get back to you

From my (limited) experience it is worth paying a bit more for a good sling (and Maria's are good slings). A good fitting sling that is well made will enable you to carry your baby for longer periods more comfortably. They do still feel "heavy" i that you know you are carrying them but it just feels easier (hard to describe). Cally is 18lbs and I easily carry her for a few hours even with back problems (though she should be going on my back soon but I would miss her on my front). Slings can be pricey but research and ask around, I have never regretted any ofmy purchases. look on www.babywearer.com and there was a yahoo group someone posted a link to, you will find pre-loved slings for a good price. And the best thing is a good sling holds it value well so you can sell it on and get the majority of your money back.

Thanks everyone i going to get a wrap thay look more comfy and seem to ditrabute the weight of the child more by the look of them
Im excited :cheer: about it now stuff the money im spending it on something improtant and after my horrible experience with a evil bus driver the other day i want to get back to wearing agian. Mind there no where to put you shopping on a sling/wrap
And where do you put the baby when your at the dentists :think: :lol:

I love wearing Collier he can look around but still be close to me and i can get on a bus without any hassle :D :D

sarah xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waqas432
Back