• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Weaning - how much?

SmallPurpleCat

Reaction score
We've started weaning Isla as advised by the paediatrician. Just doing baby rice at the minute which she seems to like!

Just wondering how much to give her each day? So far we've given her a few teaspoons after her milk. Is that the best time to give it?

Also, is anyone else giving fruit and veg purees at this age?

Just feeling overwhelmed with all the varying advice!

Hi there,

Ella has cows milk protein allergy too so we weaned from 4 months. We started off with a small pot of baby rice between her 2nd to last and last bottle. After a week of that I bought some Ella's kitchen puree and gave her about a 3rd of a pack every morning between her first and second bottle.

Now at 7 months she has the following routine:

7am - Bottle or Porridge with fruit puree
9am - whichever of the above she didn't have
11.30am - bottle
2pm -Organix jar or Ellas Kitchen (containing meat) with juice
4pm - juice and a rusk or some more porridge and puree or another snack of some kind.
6pm - bottle, bath, bottle
7pm - bed

Hope that helps. x

Just start very slowly probably at a spoonful, maybe 2 to start with and then just build it up. Id say go with your baby and take note of whether they turn away ect :) Once shes ok with one feed a day, then move it up to 2. I found the middle of the day best as this was when she was in the best mood and nice and relaxed but once she had 2 feeds a day I would give her some in the morning and some in the evening. Good luck! Its fab once theyre older and loving their food!

Thanks for the replies.

I think I'll do a week of just baby rice once a day and then start introducing fruit & veg purees after that.

It's so exciting!

glad to hear the weaning is going well! how's Isla with her milk now? x

We started weaning Ollie 2 weeks ago and he loves it although his reflux is still bad even with the food.
We started with baby rice for the first 3 days then mixed it with puree'd veg or fruit then a mix of both...I steamed batches of fruit and veg, blended til smooth and set them in ice cube trays which I then turned out into freezer bags and labelled them ready to take out a few cubes each day.
Today was as follows:

7am 5oz Milk
9.30am 2tsp heinz oat and apple muesli made with warm water
12pm 6oz milk (little sick on this one)
3.30pm 6oz milk
5.45pm 2 cubes sweet potato & 1 cube carrot followed by 2 cubes apple (threw up most of the apple)
7.30pm 5oz milk

We dropped the Gaviscon in his milk and have been using a thickener called Carobel which seems to be a little better at keeping the milk down although it now resembles McDonalds milkshake Lol

We started weaning Ollie 2 weeks ago and he loves it although his reflux is still bad even with the food.
We started with baby rice for the first 3 days then mixed it with puree'd veg or fruit then a mix of both...I steamed batches of fruit and veg, blended til smooth and set them in ice cube trays which I then turned out into freezer bags and labelled them ready to take out a few cubes each day.
Today was as follows:

7am 5oz Milk
9.30am 2tsp heinz oat and apple muesli made with warm water
12pm 6oz milk (little sick on this one)
3.30pm 6oz milk
5.45pm 2 cubes sweet potato & 1 cube carrot followed by 2 cubes apple (threw up most of the apple)
7.30pm 5oz milk

We dropped the Gaviscon in his milk and have been using a thickener called Carobel which seems to be a little better at keeping the milk down although it now resembles McDonalds milkshake Lol

Sounds like a good routine. Are you still mixing baby rice with the fruit and veg purees?

Hope his reflux improves.

glad to hear the weaning is going well! how's Isla with her milk now? x

Well, she's picking up again now. Last week she had a cold and then a stomach bug - all in one week! So her eating wasn't great.

She's totally on formula now. Doing between 16-20oz a day. She seems to be getting on much better with the Dr. Brown's bottles.

Haven't had her weighed for 3 weeks. She was ill last week and we've decided it's pointless taking her this week as she probably hasn't gained due to being ill, so we're going to wait until next week.

If were giving fruit for breakfast then we mix it with the rice to make it bulkier and to make sure he's getting enough milk as he is a poor drinker although still gaining weight, drinks on average 23oz milk a day and only just taking upto 6oz at a feed.
Seeing Paed Doc on Thursday about his meds as I dont think they are helping at the moment, seem to have gone completely backwards at the moment and vomits like a fountain on some feeds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Salata Sara
Back