Water from a sports bottle?

ASD123456

Reaction score
Hello,

I am having a few problems getting Rudy to drink water from a beaker or cup. I've tried three different beakers inclding the basic TT freeflow one, the amedius (sp?) and a boots own first beaker thingy. None work. I've also tried the TT beaker just as a cup and that is no use either.

Lats night I was drinking water from a sports bottle, one of those things where you pull the spout up and the water flows through when you tip it up. I gave some to Rudy and he seemed to like drinking water from that.

Do you think this is an ok way for him to take water? I am reluctant top give him water from a milk bottle as I would rather him not associate drinks with the bottle, just milk. One more question, he is 6 days off 6 months do you think it is ok just to give him tap water instead of boiled and cooled? Boiled water has a horrible taste :puke:

you can get beakers like a sports bottle for babies in cheap £1 shops ive seen them so i dont see the harm in it hun whatever you can get him to drink out of,
as for tap water Thomas has had it since about 4 months as i got fed up with boiling the water and letting it cool down :oops:
xx

Tommee Tippee actually do a few like that now, hang on I'll find you the link.

http://www.tommeetippee.co.uk/product/quick_quencher_12m_/

I assume they do it in colours other than pink?!

The other thing you could try is a straw... or straw type bottle, which is what I have just purchased for Phoebe. She now drinks 4-5oz of water a day. I have also switched her milk to them (now she is only on 2 bottles a day).

Its the second one from the left, yellow one. They sell them in Tescos, def do them in boy colours! Might be worth a look?
http://www.tommeetippee.co.uk/product/tip_it_up_drinking_kit_girls_/

Oh and don't worry that they say from 12 months... On the instructions it says straws are fine from 6 months.

As for the boiled water, I know they recommend doing it for a year. I probably will, as we have hit 9 months practically and I'm still boiling it.

:hug: :hug:

Well, I've been sharing my sport bottle with LO for a while as like you it seems to be the only way to get her to drink any water. She's been suffering from a pretty bad (and painful) constipation so I am doing anything I can do get her to drink fluids! I doubt it's necessary but I actually use Milton to sterilise the bottle, and particularly the top :)

I think they just like to copy us. Like LO likes to brush her teeth with electric toothbrush as she has seen me use one for a long time. I just got her a soft head and let her bite it and only briefly use the actual electric brushing. She loves it!

My LO drinks bottled water like the rest of us. Some people possibly have something against that too :?

I'd not use a sports bottle personally. They are not great for teeth anyways and as his are coming through I'd be very wary. Also if he starts drinking from that then it may be harder to get him to move to cup or beaker later on. Just the things that crossed my mind is all.

Is he breastfeeding? If so he'll be getting hydration from that.

And also taking to drinking from a feeder or cup won't just happen overnight. Its taken Galen over 2 months to get to grips with something he likes to use and even now he won't drink lots, just a few sips each time. We tried feeder cups, open topped ones with handles and in the end he now drinks from ours :lol: He much prefers open cups and no handles and holds the cup with us helping and sips away. As he gets older he'll become more capable and won't need our help. I'd say he doesn't take more than 50ml a day of water atm. We keep offering and he takes it but its small sips and not many. I'm not worrying about it though.

Also we have put a feeder cup in his treasure box of goodies for him to play with outside of meals etc. Hoping that he'll get the hang of it if no one is sat right there waiting for him to drink. He keeps picking it up, putting the spout in his mouth and so on and I am sure one day soon he'll glug. Might be worth doing something like that.

I don't boil water for Galen now he is past 6 months. We are on a private water supply here from a spring so the water is very different from tap water anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back