Water babies

abcd1234

Reaction score
Anyone done this?? We start on the 17th, TBH it's as much for me as for Tally, i want her to have fun with mummy in water and be confident but i'm also looking forward to actually meeting other mums with babies around the same age as Tally. I only know 2 people with babies, one hates me has done since primary school, not sure why though :think: the other used to be my best friend until she got with her partner who hits and strangles her :( , she's due around now and since they got back together i cant get hold of her.

Dave thinks it's a waste of money, but tbh i keep asking him if we can go swimming and he keeps making plans to play with his car instead, we can only go on a saturday as a family and i've heard good things about these organized classes.

I might look in to another group called puddle ducks for her next course as aparently they teach them to flost and things without the use of armbands

I think you will have a lovely time... Can't comment myself... but in the summer, lil miss went swimming every week and LOVED it.. considering she hated the bath at the time. :lol:

Bee is doing water babies classes with Finlay just now so she'd be the one to ask.

We looooooove swimming, she hates it when we have to leave even though she's almost prune like by the time she's out :lol:

We do this and I've enquired about teaching it too :D

Finlay loves it! Its not really about swimming normally - its more to do woth underwater so it won't be like the other class you mentioned. My only negative thing would be the big class sizes but I have to say that this week and last I haven't noticed this as much as we have done loads!

I feel daft taking him when I am a swimming teacher but my qualification doesn't cover the baby swimming and I need the additional training which I am going to do!

The lessons are fab! We get loads done and Finlay is picking it up so quickly! He's wanting to throw himself in the pool already and we've only been there 3 weeks! We did an underwater swim the 1st week, the instructor did this one. Then the 2nd week we did 2 where you do one and the instructor does the other and today we did 2 and we did them both. Its really good fun apart from the nursery rhymes they make you sing :lol: Finlay looks at me like a nutter.

Well worth the money and I can't wait to do my training :D

Edit: Meant to say that you would be better sticking with the Waterbabies for the year then looking into new classes. The babies don't have any aids at all in these classes so by the time they are older you would be able to take them to a different class and they will be fine :D I hate aids anyway :lol: The other class you mention will probably do things that you have already done in Waterbabies but if its a pay and go class then take her along if you think she would benefit but TBH you do everything in Waterbabies. Last week we did some stuff on their backs and today we did blowing bubbles :D These are all things I teach my 3/4 year olds :D

Any more questions just ask! If I haven't killed you with information overload!

We do Water Babies, have completed the first course and am now on the second intermediate one. it is fantastic! The babies love it, its an amazing experience for both you and LO, we have done loads of underwater swims and now we both swim underwater together. its amazing to see your baby swimming underwater. Worth every penny, you'll love it.

can you just take a baby swimming or should you only go to arranged classes?

gymbabeliz said:
can you just take a baby swimming or should you only go to arranged classes?

You can take a baby swimming whenever you want, we've taken Tally twice, both times she was very little, and she loved it, we just let her splash around and float with us. She didn't seem to bothered by getting her face wet either. When they're little they can only stay in hte water a certain amount of time, i cant recall what though, and it has to be a certain temperature.

Oh and Bee, i was wondering, is it usual for babies not to weat swimming costumes to the classes? We've got a silly lycra nappy for which she has to wear and a swim nappy, i was going to put her costume on over the top just for extra warmth really but i get the feeling most people dont do that.

Oh and i dont know what your classes are like but ours say i have to bring a changing mat, is that like a full on big changing mat like you use at home? cos it says i have to change her on the floor :think: if so, how inconvenient is that!!!

Bee, could you tell me the names of the other companies that do the swimming? We don't have waterbabies and so far I haven't found anything else other than the council and the uni, but the uni class is filled.

melissa goes swimming every week and she LOVES it. its brilliant that she is so confident in water already. i cant remember not being able to swim, i could swim almost as soon as i could walk and i want the same for her. i cant imagine little boat trips on holidays are any fun for people who cant swim and it must be terrifying to take ur kids on them knowing they cant swim. u know, just in case anything happens... its an asset being able to swim. so i'm really glad millie is already at it. i dont take her anymore since i went bakc to work but my dad takes her every monday/tuesday, he tells me she is coming on leaps and bounds now, is not afraid of being left without arm-bands briefly so her head drops under (of course he grabs her quickly and lifts her above!) in fact she likes to dip her face under the water (and she does this in the bath roo iv seen it myself!) and she is learning how it feels to be in water unassisted (without floats)
of course this is all done in the baby-pool, and has only just started these little tricks, she definately wasnt dunked etc before she was 12 months old and could walk! but yeah, BIG UP WATER BABIES!!!

I take my son to waterbabies, he is on the toddler sessions now and is about to start his second toddler term next week. He loves it!! Still not so keen on going under water but he doesnt complain as much now.

I would highly recommend it :D

abcd1234 said:
Oh and Bee, i was wondering, is it usual for babies not to weat swimming costumes to the classes? We've got a silly lycra nappy for which she has to wear and a swim nappy, i was going to put her costume on over the top just for extra warmth really but i get the feeling most people dont do that.

Oh and i dont know what your classes are like but ours say i have to bring a changing mat, is that like a full on big changing mat like you use at home? cos it says i have to change her on the floor :think: if so, how inconvenient is that!!!

Hiya

Finlay wears his dispoasble, the stupid waterbabies one (its tight already) and the a Konfidence babywarma suit :D Our instructor brings some bodywarmer suits with her so yours might. Most people put on of them on but her swimsuit would do the same. I would put a suit on as it gets cold, esp the 1st class where you don't do much as the instructor is getting to know the babies :D

Changing mat - I got a neoprene one from Mothercare. Its advertised as a swimming changing mat and it rolls up. I would recommend bringing one as the changing rooms get soaked, esp if you are the last class like we are. You are supposed to change them on the floor incase they roll of the seats. Plus you should take the changing mat to poolside with a spare nappy incase your LO needs a nappy change. We've been told to changed the baby on poolside but I find the changing roooms are warmer :D

moss said:
Bee, could you tell me the names of the other companies that do the swimming? We don't have waterbabies and so far I haven't found anything else other than the council and the uni, but the uni class is filled.

Hiya

I don't think there are any other companies. I can't find any :( I know the company I work for don't do it as they have no qualified instructors and I was talking to the female from Waterbabies and they desparately need instructors. I'd stick Jacob's name on the uni one rather than the council one ;)

theres a group here called puddle ducks that do baby swimming, i'm not sure its the same as water babies but i've heard some very good reviews of it

abcd1234 said:
theres a group here called puddle ducks that do baby swimming, i'm not sure its the same as water babies but i've heard some very good reviews of it

It might not be the underwater swimming. Most local councils do parent and child classes that aren't based on underwater swimming. Still a good class to do - anything confidence based is :D

Swimbabes are based in England not up here in Scotland :( I think Waterbabies are the only place that do up here too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itsa1231
Back