Washing baby's clothes ...?

Loulabelle

Reaction score
One of my pregnancy books says I should wash everything before the baby arrives and never put the baby in new things unless they've been washed. Just wondering whether this is necessary or not and what the reasons for this are? Is it just to make them softer or is there some other reason? Is this what everyone is doing? xx

I washed everything. They say to do this because of all the other people that have probs touched the clothes, and therefore added bacteria to the clothes. Plus wen if it's packaged the clothes may hve some toxins/glues on it from the machines and what not. You don't have to wash everything, but it's prob best.

Remember to use non-bio products.x

I didn't wash any of Charley's clothes before he was born and he's got really sensitive skin so I wish I did now!!

I did a wash a while ago and my step-sister has just given me a load of her daughters old clothes so had another one on today. Apart from all the above reasons, I want my babies clothes to smell like our home not a shop or my step-sister lol!

I washed all of baby stuff that we have so far - think that was actually the only bit of nesting instinct I've had, felt like I had to get it all clean and put away. Unfortunately never got the same urge to scrub the rest of the house - was hoping I would have it all gleaming! :0)

I prefer the freshly washed smell to the 'new' smell clothes have. Plus I've found washing makes them softer, as some new clothes can be very starchy. Also you never know how long they've been sat out on a rack or how many hands have touched them.

I washed all of DS' clothes and ironed them ready for him. I nested big time. I also made sure that I used the Non-Bio fairy fabric conditioner so it didnt irritate his skin. xx

i'm going to start washing bumps clothes this week..left it a bit late i know as i'm 36wks now, but i've only just ordered him a chest of drawer unit to put them all in. :)

Am washing for all the above mentioned reasons xx

does it matter if they are air dryed or tumble dryed!??

I'm planning on washing everything but still no furniture to store them yet.

Not sure about the tumble dryer question. I just gave my tumble dryer away so they'll be air dried.

x

So far I've washed everything that I'm taking to the hospital and some bedding. I'm planning on doing loads of washing over the next couple of days. However, I'm not washing her big winter full length coat and I'm not sure about socks and scratch mittens. I'm worried the machine will eat them and I'll end up with odd socks etc before she's even here! Is everyone else washing mittens and socks? What about coats?

I think there is a difference between tumble drying & air drying...

tumble dryer makes everything much softer (altho might be due to me living in a very hard water area, we do have a water softener, but its a case of making sure hubby remembers to top up the salt! ;))

Also as asthma runs through the family I like to tumble dry bedding (although have to say I dont always)....it's amazing how much fluff/lint comes out into the filter.

So far I've washed everything that I'm taking to the hospital and some bedding. I'm planning on doing loads of washing over the next couple of days. However, I'm not washing her big winter full length coat and I'm not sure about socks and scratch mittens. I'm worried the machine will eat them and I'll end up with odd socks etc before she's even here! Is everyone else washing mittens and socks? What about coats?

If I were you I would wash them cos they are still touching babies skin and the mitts will go in their mouth. Even a quick handwash in the non-bio stuff

If I were you I would wash them cos they are still touching babies skin and the mitts will go in their mouth. Even a quick handwash in the non-bio stuff

I think I'll put them inns pillow case to try and keep them together. I hadn't thought about them putting them in their mouths - how cute. I can't wait!

u can get little net baskets to put their little bits in to stop them getting lost in the wash... :/ not sure where u get em from tho.

When is the best time to wash all the clothes, how long in advance? xx

i suppose it depends when ur lil ones room will be ready. dont want to have to wash and then sort out room as defeats the object of it all. Im doing mine when im about 35w but thats only cos i havent got my flat yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JenniferU
Back