Vitamin K

laetitia85

Reaction score
Did you choose to give your baby vitamin K at the birth or not?
I don't see any problems with it so I think i will.

but I was just wondering - if it is so good for babies, why are we given the choice to do it or not? :think: why don't they automatically give it to every baby? is there something they're not telling us about vitamin K? :think:

If they dont have the injection i think it has to administered orally in 2 doses. I figured the injection was way easier

i wrote a brith plan and i said i want my baby to have it, right after she was born.

i don't really know why your given the choice, maybe it's because your baby is new and you don't your baby to be given things soon after s/he is born. i don't know, it's just nice to have that choice there too maybe.

i think they have to have it ,,u just hose how (by inj or orally)

stupid ppl od'ed my daughter..lol

gave her two doses by 'accident' :x

Vit K helps blood clotting and babies aren't born with lots of it apparently. You can choose between injection or orally. If you have it orally it comes in 2 doses over a period of a few months. They used to give the injection but research found that it was linked to something or other...so they started giving it orally...then other research said that it was a load of rubbish and wasn't linked to anything. So you get the option now.

yes melissa had it
laetitia85 said:
if it is so good for babies, why are we given the choice to do it or not? :think: why don't they automatically give it to every baby? is there something they're not telling us about vitamin K? :think:
no i think its just optional coz its probably against human rights or something 2 force an injection? i dont kno tho! :? :lol:

Erin had it by injection as she had o have a canula in her hand anyway, so they did everything together, poor scrap....

The heel prick test is not nice to go through. I found that hard, tbh.

yea its an injection when babys born :)

only if u breast feeding.

heelprick test i was crying but trying to hide my tears :) just seeing my poor baby in tears :(

got the 8week injections on the 16th oct lucky me lol more tears for her :( calpol is my friend :)

You can choose either drops or injection, I breastfed both mine and the first had drops but second had jab (MW bullied us into it).

I et them inject both my children as I figurede it was less distressing for them.

Isaac had the oral doses. Babies are born with low levels of VitK, and so this injection was introduced to counteract that, though why babies are born with low levels isn't known, and as all babies have that level, is it not normal? So that's why it's a questionable injection/oral dose. The VitK can be a lifesaving decision for some babies though, so its not a light decision to take.
This article is excellent for helping you decide whether or not to have your LO have the VitK, very best wishes :hug:
Clicky

Mice_Elf said:
Erin had it by injection as she had o have a canula in her hand anyway, so they did everything together, poor scrap....

The heel prick test is not nice to go through. I found that hard, tbh.

I hated the heel prick test too :( My poor little baby had low blood sugar so was constantly having his heel pricked, it looked like a lil red pin cushion. He also had a canula, aww our poor babys!

Dan had the injection. The way is was explained to us was that it was easier on the baby and if the tablets made him sick they would have to start the course again. TBH I wish I had researched it more beforehand as by the time I was asked I was too busy throwing up to give it enough thought.

Thea had the injection.
I didnt see the heel prick as we were in hospital so her daddy went with her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back