Vanessa's arrival

Alexandra84

Reaction score
Just to let everyone know that I haven't died or anything (although the lack of internet at home does feel like your arm's been chopped off!)

Our little pumpkin decided to arrive on the 24th October nine days after her due date. I'd had some contractions in the night for a few days before but they would always fade out after a few hours so I wasn't too excited yet. Then on the 23rd I started having them every 10 minutes for the whole day and getting stronger ans stroger and gradually closer together. We were at the local ASDA buying a freezer (of all things!) and when we got home things really strarted heating up with contractions every 3 minutes.

We called the labour ward but were told that on sunday afternoon there were not enought midwifes and asked to come in to the local hospital instead. I was not happy about this but my dear OH managed to get me the best room with a birth pool in it so in the end instead of a home birth I ended up having a water birth in hospital (not a bad swap to be honest).

Anyway, moving on, I was in the first stage of labour for 15h and 45 min but I can't say that it was terribly painful as such. 1g of paracetamol every 4 hours was more than enough to keep me happy for the first 10h, I even managed to nap a bit. Several things happened then, my labour slowed right down because there was a woman screaming her head off in the next room for 3h :)shock:!) and it really put me off. Ladies, if you know that you have a low pain threshold and you have a tendency to scream please PLEASE get an epidural so that you do not distress everyone else on the ward. I know it sounds harsh but there it is. I also didn't like the midwife that was monitoing me as she really didn't seem to know what she was doing and I lost all confidence in her. The consultant then came round and suggested that we try to speed things up a bit by breaking my waters (I won't agree to it next time) and then monitor the baby for 30min to check that all is still well. This seemed to distress the baby which had been doing perfectly fine until then :roll: and I ended up on the bed being monitored for 2h. It later turned out to be a combination of mild distress of the baby, which didn't like that I was laying down, and that the monitor wasn't working properly. After two hours I'd had enough and told them that if the machine is not working then I see no reason to be strapped to it and would like to get into the pool where they could monitor me however they could. The midwives changed over at this point and I got a wonderful confident lady with a student who I immediately felt happy with and who made me feel at ease.

At this point I felt that it was time to start on the gas and air as the contractions were getting quite intense (even though with the ARM my cervix had actually sprung back from 7cm to 4cm!) As soon as I got into the pool the baby's heart rate went straight back up and things really started moving again (the screams from the next room had also subsided) and after one and a half hours I finally delivered my beautiful little daughter. She gave us a bit of a scare because she was quite happy not breathing while she was still warm and attached to me but as soon as they cut the cord and gave her a good rub she pooped and started crying. That was at 1:54pm on the 24th October weighing a healthy 7lb 5 and we were discharged the same afternoon.

I can honestly say that I have never felt more exhausted in my life than I did that afternoon. It's been 3 weeks now though and we're both doing well. She's gaining lots of weight (almost 500g last time she was weighed) and I am losing it (breast feeding is really good for your figure lol). We couldn't be more happy.

All in all I had a relatively easy labour and a trouble free delivery (even though it took a while to get there). Some lessons that I learned from the experience:

1. Natal hypnotherapy does work. If I had not been able to relax by body completely between contractions I would have been too exhausted to deliver. Even in the very last half an hour it helped me to relax and stay clam and in control so I really recommend it as even if it doesn't make your labour completely pain free at least it makes it much easier to manage.

2. If you feel uncomfortable with your midwife or don't feel like you have confidence in her, ask for a different one. Straight away. You'll be doing you both a favour.

3. Go with your gut feeling. If something is not working for you or you're unhappy with your treatment or anything about how your labour is being managed/monitored/treatments being suggested, say so. They deliver heaps of babies at the hospital so you are just one of many, whereas for you this is a unique and special moment possibly one of the few times you'll be giving birth in your life. How it goes and what is done and not done, the risks for your baby, and how you feel about it really matters.

Anyway, I wish all of you who are waiting for you little bundle of joy a trouble free and easy birth :D

Last edited:
Well done you hun, brilliant birth story and congratulations xxx

Huge congrats honey - your little girl was born on the same day as my Sophia - she was born at 12:55pm :)

Congrats and loved the story. Really useful tips too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back