vacations without the children?

trixipaws

Reaction score
we were all gonna go stay at my uncle's flat in ibiza this year (me, boyf, milliepops and the babysitters a.k.a. my parents :lol: ) but the timing has clashed with my sister's graduation so we're not going.

my boyf and i arent too bothered, as milliepops is still tiny anyway she might enjoy it more when she's 2, but also- we've never been away together as a couple (only with friends with us). we always fancied reykjavik and couple other places its something we both thought we'd do before we started a family, but sometimes babies come along earlier than u plan them and before u get around to doing some pre-baby-coupley stuff. aaaaanyway im going on a bit now lol! we thinkin we'd like to go away together this year before milliepops starts asking us for other things to spend our money on, or little brothers or sisters are born, or whatever!

sorry to woffle on, basically just wanna kno the longest time u been away without ur kids, and how old were they at the time? and obviously, how'd it go? it'd only be a week or 10 days or somet, would she remember us?!?

i have never been away from my kids. the only time kieron has spent away from me is 2 school trips

Not a Mum's perspective but a nanny's. Hopefully it helps :)

I've nannied for no end of families over the years and many of them went away on holiday for a week, sometimes two in baby's first year. Their LO's did just fine being cared for either by me the whole time, or a couple went to stay with grandparents instead and had me as back up also during the days. I've cared for children as young as 8 months to 12 years old while parents went away for a holiday or short break and it was never a problem for the child as they knew who I was and were used to me.

I know of plenty of Mum's who have to work away for periods of time also and whose children are left in the care of someone else for short periods of time.

I don't think there is any problem in having a bit of time away. It's what you feel happy doing tbh. And as for LO not remembering you, I'm sure she will. If you get her used to overnight away a few times, maybe a weekend with grandparents, a week away won't be such a strange thing for her when the time comes.

Just go with what you feel comfortable with. Talk it over with your parents and if they are happy to try an overnight and a weekend or two then :) If it goes well, then relax a bit and think about a holiday for later on.

We have at least a weekend away each year without DS - sometimes 4 days. He's happy at his Nan's and we get to do adult things that he would be bored with - generally we go on a city break.

My mum and dad used to leave my little sister at home when the rest of us went away until she was about 4 - we had just started holidaying abroad and they felt the hot weather was too much for her. They took the other 4 of us, but she spent a week at her nan's getting spoilt rotten.

We were all used to staying with family early on, and DS was the same, he happily spent time staying with grandparents when he was little so it was no big thing. It also gives us a chance to relax together and we always come back loved up :oops:

Most I've been away from Isaac is about 4'ish hrs and only because my car broke down, I can't even comprehend a night away yet, let alone a holiday :shock: I'm sure he'd be fine, but I'd maybe not so fine :lol: If you're ready, go for it, but make sure you ENJOY YOURSELF :cheer: :hug: :cheer:

i have never been on holiday without her but she has been on holiday with my parents without me :( and i hated it, i wouldnt do it again, it was the longest 7 days of my life. she wasnt bothered tho lol

xxxxx

I went away for a week when Harrison was 18 months, went on a girly 18-30 holiday, and when i got back he was all smiles for me but loved being spoilt to death by my mum and dad.

I've only been away from James for more than 1 night twice. Once when he was 3, I had to travel to a job interview and was away for 2 nights (OH looked after him), and another time for 2 nights when he was 4. OH and I went down south for a friends wedding (The in laws looked after him).

I personally am not sure I like the idea of going on holiday without him, I think I'd feel a bit guilty. I think it's down to personal choice at the end of the day.
I know a couple who went to Mexico for a fortnight and left their then 6 month old and 6 year old with their parents. As far as I'm aware the kids weren't bothered by it and thought of staying with their grandparents as a kind of holiday

When me and dh got married in Gibraltar, Aaron stayed at home for 10 days with my mum. He was 7 months old and he was fine. I was so worried he wouldn't remember us but as soon as we walked through the door he beamed so he knew who we were.

We just got back from Gibraltar last wednesday where we went for a week whilst Aaron stayed with my mum and he was brilliant. He loved his time with nanny and we spoke everyday on the phone. He was glad to see us but he didn't even seem bothered that we weren't there which upset me a bit :lol: but he had a great time and so did we!

As long as you leave them with someone you trust 100% then it's fine. I wouldn't have done it if my mum hadn't said she'd have Aaron because I don't trust anyone else enough to look after him for a night let alone a week.

longest I've ever been away from Lydia is 4 nights. She stayed with OH's mam because we were packing to move house and she was getting in the way. BUT we visited her after 2 nights because it was killing us not seeing her.

That was unbearably hard. I couldn't do it again for so long whilst she's little. Alex has never been away from me for more than 4 hours.

I couldn't ever go on holiday without my kids. I'd feel so mean. I'd feel like I was off enjoying myself and they were stuck in the UK. Plus I'd miss them too much.

I do know people that go abroad without their kids though, but I couldn't myself.

I've been away from Paris a few times, mainly a week a year (she has autism so it's kinda respite) had a fortnight away in 2005 as well. She was fine with it at Grandmas, all she cared about what the presents :rotfl: :rotfl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back