urgent, hand foot and mouth, how to treat?

Mrs P

Reaction score
my daughter has hand foot and mouth, were giving her plenty of fluids and painkillers but what can i use to help the itchy rash?? She is so distressed with the itcing :(:(:(

Aww poor little lady. You could use some Calamine (sp?) lotion to sooth the itching. It seems to be going round quite a bit at the moment.

hi hun my friends little girl has just had this and she was admitted to hospital and put on a drip because she was dehydrated i would ring nhs direct hun :hug:

NHS Direct has a section on it here

http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/articles/ar ... icleId=165

Hand, foot and mouth disease
Treatment

There is no specific treatment for hand, foot and mouth disease. The condition usually clears up by itself after about 10 days. As it is caused by a viral infection, the disease cannot be treated with antibiotics.

You can help to ease the symptoms of hand, foot and mouth disease by:
resting,
taking plenty of fluids - water, or weak squash are ideal, or
taking paracetamol - if you, or your child, has a fever, or sore throat, then this should help relieve pain and bring down a temperature. Children's paracetamol can be used for treating your child. However, aspirin must not be given to children who under 16 years of age.

In some cases of hand, foot and mouth disease, the sores can become infected if your child scratches them. If this happens, the infection will need to be treated with antibiotics. Your GP will advise you about this.

If your child has hand, foot and mouth disease, you should keep them away from school, or playschool, until they have recovered. Remember that they will have been infectious before they had any symptoms (symptoms usually appear between 3-7 days after being infected), so they may have already passed on the infection. However, you should still inform a school, or playschool, if your child develops the disease, so that other parents can be made aware if necessary.

Thanks you guys, i did ring NHS direct 2 days running and got her 2 appointments with local care direct. She is still unwell, the rash is scabby now but she seems better in herself so its just a case of waiting till she is better as its viral and no medication will help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JenniferU
Back