**Update**I haven't been to the loo for...

Makes me feel silly for worrying about going 4 days without :blush:
I have had colonic irrigation done before and it didn't hurt one bit it's a weird feeling cos you aren't in control of the flow :oooo: but very refreshing. I'm presuming an enema is similar to that - good luck x

I'm afraid I'm suffering with constipation too hun.
I went to the toilet this morning at 4/5am after not going for about 5/6 days.
I didn't feel hungry either because I was so full with all that food! But today I'm feeling much better and I'm feeling hungry again.

I hope the doctors can prescribe something and sort things out for you.
The joy's of pregnancy eh?! xxx

Thanks girls. I hope that she offers me one, i'm so uncomfortable. God Sarah, i didn't even think about it not working! What would happen if it didn't work then? xxx

I was given this stuff they called gun powder, you drink it and can only take it in hospital, not sure they can give it to you pregnant. I hadn't been for a month though and got to point where I couldn't keep food down so was really quite poorly at the time. That stuff did work though whatever it was!

:wave: how'd it go at the docs? Hope they were able to help. I can't imagine passing a day where I don't poo, therefore I can only assume that it must be so uncomfortable for you, let alone dangerous. Hope you're ok. x

My bro-in law had to have a camera up his bum and I bought him something called a 'fleet enema' from Boots, over the counter. Its just a bottle of liquid that you squirt up yourself at home and then you can go to the toilet in the privacy of your own bathroom and it was really cheap. Hope you get sorted soon hun xxxx

I do barium enema's for my job and I've never had a patient thank me LOL. In order to prepare their bowels they use picolax which is a hardcore prescription only laxative. Not sure about using it when pregnant tho but the Dr may prescribe something like that. How if gets sorted soon

[/QUOTE]

I was given this stuff they called gun powder, you drink it and can only take it in hospital[/QUOTE]

The name says it all :lol:

Hi ladies,

I'm afraid there's nothing much to write home about unfortunately! The doc was pretty hopeless. I asked for an enema and she just said "I wouldn't give you one when pregnant", me being the idiot that i am just said "oh ok then"!!! Even though i have researched it and found out they are safe, i didn't even open my mouth to dispute it with her! I always do that, i'm like a nodding dog at these appointments and then i'm really angry with myself when i come out!

Anyway, she has given me more senna and lactulose - even though i told her that i'm already taking them and that they are not helping - and she gave me movicol. She said to take all three at the same time and that combined they should get things moving.

I spoke to the pharmacist afterwards and asked him about enemas during pregnancy, he said they're safe but that he thinks i should try to take the prescribed meds first and then failing that to get an enema. So, i'm going to give it a couple of days and if there are no results i'm just going to go and buy one myself!

Doctors can be so annoying though, she could of just sorted an enema for me and i would have some relief from this discomfort, but no i have to wait until all of these combined laxatives start working - or should i say if they start working!

xxxx

Last edited:
Really hope you 'go' soon. I find green tea helps me sometimes and exercise seems to help too, guess you've tried most things though!

Thanks Sarah. I haven't had green tea for a while, coffee normally helps me but i've only been having decaff tea and coffee since being pregnant. Might get some caffinated, a strong one might do me some good! xx

Hey did you try the melon? I only ask because i had a slice of water melon for breakfast today and went about 2 hours later! Was thrilled, its going on my daily menu from now on!

Hey Starfish, yeah i did. I ate half of it in one go but unfortunately it didn't help. Think i'm just a bit too bunged up. I've still got some in the fridge, gona have some now actually :)

Oh god I had to have Picolax before I had a sigmoidoscopy - I went within 15 mins of taking the first dose!! It a hospital prescribed laxative - I wouldn't of thought they would give you that durin pregnancy though - it also made me vomit on the second dose!! Yuck!

The problem is with some of these things they give you they do tend to bung you up for a few more days before they start to work. My friend was given an enema in early labour to help things along as she was very bunged up. They were going to give me on too as they thought it would kick start labour, I was that bad she tried to do a sweep and could feel that my rectum was in her words 'fully loaded'!!! I was mortified! Luckily after a couple of days of Senakot and lots of trying I finally went!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back