unbelieveably scared and embarassed about labour

Mrs P

Reaction score
Hello,
Is it just me or did anyone else dread labour like it was the end of the world :(

Im 25 weeks and im having nightmares (when i manage to get some sleep!) about everything, waters breaking, pain, doctors and midwifes looking "down there", ok just the WHOLE process!

My BBs started slightly leaking last weekend with a clear substance and it made me cry! I was so embarassed i couldnt tell my husband :(

Am i being silly, i just cant seem to get to grips!

Amy :oops: :oops:

your not silly at all i went through the same thing with my 1st i kept begging the midwifes for a elective c section wasnt allowed one though by the time labour actually started i was just so happy i was meeting my lo soon i didnt care about people looking down there and i even managed with no drugs at all gas and air made me really sick and i was toooo scared of needles for anything else its natural to worry about it but when the time comes you will be fine

Dont feel silly, at the end of the day it is a very screy experience especially if you havent been through it before, and you always get 'helpfull' family and friends regail you with horror stories.

The way I see it with regards to the whole pain thing, is your talking about 1 day one day of it then its all over. And then you will have your baby in your arms. I know your scred but try to think of it in a positive way, this is the truly amazing thing that the female body can do, your OH will be in awe of you, and dispite any pain it wil be a very exciting and memerable experience for all of you.

Also about your changing body, you are not alone in feeling freeked out about it all. You feel like you have no control over your body and everything is weird. But take heart in the fact we all feel like this, your midwife has seen it all before so there is nothing to be embarrased about. Just take heart that once its all over you can take some time to have a pamper and get your body back!

Hope this helps to reasure you!

Hiya
Like the others have said, it's totally normal to feel this way...even the nightmares are normal, don't worry.

It sounds really silly, but the only way I can describe it is, when you have the baby in your arms it's all so totally worth it!
I'm not gonna tell you it doesn't hurt...but it's a pain that comes with the greatest reward ever!
As far as the internals etc go...the MW does it every day and it's really not an issue for her at all...again, you just get used to it, and it only takes 10 seconds.
Just try and remember that at the end of it all you get a perfect little baby and the memory of the pain disappears really quickly!

I can't give any advice as I am so scared it has been advised I have an elective section but I thought I'd let you know an inspiring story!

My DH has a work friend who was also terrified and considered a section. Anyway she had some niggling pains for about 4 days and eventually went to the hospital where she was 5cm dilated and had her baby within the hour with no drugs or stitches! That was last week.

Evadel was also very anxious and was booked for an elective section and ended up having a quick and easy natural labour so perhaps the more scared you are, the worst your expectations and reality becomes much more bearable :hug:

I would advise you to chat to your midwife about the anxiety though. I was also (and still do) have nightmares about childbirth and its not nice when its effecting your life. I must say I am jealous of your leaky boobs though, it means your body is laready preparing you for breastfeeding, keep squeezing to no avail and am really wanting to breastfeed so am hoping they will leak soon :lol:

I spent years feeling like this. I don't know if turning 30 had anything to do with it but when we decided that we were ready to start a family I no longer felt this fear.

I tell you something, you may not believe me but when you go into labour you'll amaze yourself. You just get on with things and you do have the option of pain relief.

It's a cliche but so true, once the baby is born the pain disappears. It's amazing.

Talk to your hubby about it and friends/family. Being pregnant is so special it would be a great shame if it's over shadowed by how your feeling at the moment.

Im glad you started this thread Mrs P because its nice to hear such reassurance.

I get very nervous somedays, like you I lie awake at night thinking about the 'unknown.' To be honest I think thats why its so scary, because we havent experienced it and we just dont know what to expect.

When im in labour im going to get OH to remind me constantly that through every contraction we are closer to meeting our little boy. And hopefully that will spur me on!!

I know how you feel though hun :hug:

Mrs P said:
Hello,
Is it just me or did anyone else dread labour like it was the end of the world :(

Im 25 weeks and im having nightmares (when i manage to get some sleep!) about everything, waters breaking, pain, doctors and midwifes looking "down there", ok just the WHOLE process!

My BBs started slightly leaking last weekend with a clear substance and it made me cry! I was so embarassed i couldnt tell my husband :(

Am i being silly, i just cant seem to get to grips!

Amy :oops: :oops:

no you're not silly. But i can assure you that when the time comes you will not care who is looking at your hairy mary, how many people are in the room and you will deal with the pain a lot better than you could ever imagine.

Just forget that part and try and enjoy the pregnancy for now. :hug: :hug:

I too was really scared about labour but I can assure you it's not as bad as you imagine it to be. I was worried about the mw seeing my hairy mary and so got my Dh to shave it for me :shock: but at the time I honestly didn't give it a thought. When the time comes something takes over and you deal with all the pain and when your LO is born, you really do forget all about it. Enjoy the rest of your pregnancy hun.

Xxx

no ur not silly at all hun, i was scared to death myself, i used to cry all they time about it. i had a really bad labour myself...but trust me, its all worth it when you see your littleone.... and the midwifes n docs lookin... when your in labour hun, your dignity just goes out the window and just want it over. it will be all worth it hun

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back