Tummy bug - made me think....

Beatlesfan

Reaction score
OH and I have had a bad tummy bug for the last 24 hours.... :puke: :( We were both up using the loo in turns last night until 4 am ish. Today we have both had headaches and achey feeling all day and needed to sleep. We have taken it in turns to look after Imogen (poor thing has not had much quality attention and hasn't been out all day... but thank goodness she is happy to play with toys for a while alone, and watch Baby Einstien for a bit). Luckily we are both on hols at mo so we have both been around for Imogen and haven't had to worry about work etc. We don't have anyone local who could have had Imogen at short notice. If I had spoken to my mum last night she might have been able to take today off but it all happened in the night.

Well, it made me think about lots of things...

1. How do women cope when they are ill and have LO to look after and OH is at work/single parent?
2. As above but with more than one LO
3. As 2. but pregnant also????!!!! :think:
4. Being sick and feeling sh*t reminded me of my pregnancy and I am not sure we can go through that again with Lo to look after. OH and I were talking the other night about having another and we agreed that we're not ruling it out but certainly not for time being. I was so ill in pregnancy that OH pretty much did EVERYTHING.. I think Icooked about 6 meals in all the time I was pregnant and did very little housework.

Anyway, not expecting any replies, I just had to air my concerns and share my admiration for mums who cope by themselves with LO/s. x

a bit different because i'm single and live with my mum, and she helped me in the first few months.
but she became ill a few months ago and was bound to the bed/settee all day, and suddenly i had all this housework that i never knew existed, plus looking after my mum/leah/stepdad etc.
My stepdad works most days so is not around to help so much.
but i was getting up in the morning, feeding/bathing/dressing leah, then washing/cleaning/ironing and thten making tea for me and my stepdad and doing all the shopping, getting myself ready, plus entertaining leah.
i admit it was physically draining, i was exhausted.
so.... anyway, i feel sorry for anyone who does become ill like you have because if i did while i was doing all that i don't know how i would have coped!

It is very hard when Brian is away offshore and I am ill... Thankfully Arianna is at the age that she plays away herslef, but then every 10mins she shouts "Mammy" and has to show me something exciting with her toy :)

I have one day, when I had a stinking migrane taken her in bed with me and put Cinderella on the DVD player in the bedroom and she has watched it while I lay with my eys closed

Yeah i dunno how people manage who don't have support at home or nearby. I am a single parent but i live with my mum and dad. I had a stinker of a migraine today and luckily my dad came to the rescue to have the little one whenhe got home from work.
I would be stuck without my family but then when i got pregnant i was promised support,which made the decision to keep the baby easier.

My oh works in the day and the only way i will get someone to look after Hop[e is if i cant get out of bed for being so ill, otherwise i just grin a nd bear it :)

My Mum's motto was always "you can't get ill when you're a Mum" :lol: I always used to think when I was little - Wow, so having kids makes you stop getting ill?

I realise now she meant just to grin and bear it!

I hope I'm able to do the same because once I'm on my own with Evie (living alone with her), I really hope I cope!! x

I had that bug a few weeks ago and I felt so ill. I was lucky as my DH was on his days off, so he helped me out a great deal but Istill had to do the bathing and feeding. xxx

My older sister is a single mum of 3. She does really well. Sometimes dad goes and gives her a hand.

When my OH works i just have to grin and bear it.

I got really sick when Tia was young... I was on my own at the time and the doctor wanted to admit me to hospital to be tube fed... Problem was there was absolutely no one who would look after Tia at the time, and I was told that social services would have to be called.. Well I chose not to go to hospital but struggled on at home until my mum could get a flight over to the UK. But it was hard... :( Its another one of the reasons I moved to Spain so I had my mum close encase I needed her...

I have 2 kids, they are 4 & 6 so can keep themselves busy for a while, but not for long!! I am pregnant with my 3rd, & have been so sick, Ive nearly ended up in hosp twice. Hubby does as much as he can but he works & we have no family near by. I guess you just get on & cope as much as possible. My sister is a single Mum of 5 kids & I dont know how she does it, luckily she does live close to our parents so gets a lot of support from them.

I am not a single mum but most days I feel like it. The hubby does work very hard in the summer months, when I am on hols from school. It's just us over here no other family so when we get visitors it's good. I too take my hat off to all mums who do it for themselves 24/7 :cheer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back