Triple test?

lozzi

Reaction score
I have been offered a triple test and i need to have it this week so ive only got tomorrow or friday to take it now.

what is everyones opinion on it?

if my result comes back high risk i wudnt have the amnio so is it even worth having the blood test?

Hiya Lozzi

Well I felt exactly how you do about the triple test - I knew I wouldn't have an amnio or such invasive test if any of my results came back as high risk - But decided that if there was something possibly "wrong" with my baby I would have the tests as a forewarning so I could prepare myself for all possible outcomes. - As blood tests aren't invasive I went ahead and luckily I was low risk on all counts.
Obviously the decision is ultimately a personal one for every woman, but I went ahead and felt relieved once the results came back - However what you may have to consider is how you would feel if the results come back high risk for anything - This could make the rest of your pregnancy stressful, when your baby will more than likely be born perfectly healthy!

goodluck1.gif
goodluck1.gif
goodluck1.gif
with whatever you decide.

i had mine 2 weeks ago... im glad it came back low risk with a 1 in 26000 chance of baby devloping downs or open neural something

but they way i was looking on it is what if it comes back sayin 1 in 5 or 1 in 500000000 its still a 1 possibillity, i dont think it wud make any difference, wudnt tehy be able to tell me on my 20 week scan if something is wrong anyway?

lozzijane said:
but they way i was looking on it is what if it comes back sayin 1 in 5 or 1 in 500000000 its still a 1 possibillity, i dont think it wud make any difference, wudnt tehy be able to tell me on my 20 week scan if something is wrong anyway?

well yeah... but it gives u an idea to get urself prepared for whatever the outcome

are u scared babes?

I did'nt have it, we decided that it was'nt worth the stress

a friend of mine had it with her 3rd child a few years ago & she got a high reading, then had to go all through the stress of waiting for an amnio, by then she was about 18 wks, the amnio was clear & she had a healthy baby boy.
with her 4th child she didn't have it done coz of the stress of before.

they don't do the triple tests here now coz they had a lot of false readings.

follow your heart & gut instinct hun.xx

Is a triple test like a nuchal scan then?? I had a nuchal scan for downs and other disorders at 11 weeks, my result was 1 in 4000 for downs (low risk) and 1 in 30,0000 for another disorder which was good.

Sounds like you have already made your mind up Lozzi????

hey, ive decided not to go for it, becoz even if there is something wrong with the results i wont have the amnio and i defo wont be having any an abortion if something came back.

there is always the one in whateva number, and ive haerd a lot that these tests arent accurate anyway.

so im not having it :)

thanks for your advice ladies x

I have one booked in for Monday but my friend who is a midwife too was amazed - she said it should only be for women over 40 or if you have any history or family history of problems. She also mentioned that there are a lot of false readings.
I'm in two minds whether to go but they did say I'll also be scanned at the same time so it may be worth it for that alone - not sure I can resist having another glimpse of babs!!

Heather

so glad you bought this up lozzi cos i was told about it on my booking in appointment and i don't know what to do about it either. i too thought it was only offered to mums above a certain age. my oh says to not go for it but im in two minds but like you say i've heard they get a lot of false readings. i though the tricky decisions only started once the baby was born :wall:

I had the triple test done after my 12 week scan and was shocked beyond belief when I got a recall for an increased risk result on the downs test (see some of my earlier posts!!) I'm only 30. We decided to go ahead with the amnio, not knowing what we would do if our fears were confirmed, but thankfully all was well and our little girl checked out perfectly.
Lozzijane, I totally understand the decision you have come to, we went through two weeks of hell waiting for the result of the amnio, and I wouldn't wish it on anyone, it's true that the triple test is not very accurate and if you know that it would make no difference to the way your pregnancy goes, then I would say you have made the right decision not to have one. Good luck hun.

I guess the results even when high (1 in 250) are still retty low risk. We had the triple test, and if we were given a high risk I think DF would have wanted the amnio, but I wouldn't. I will have it again, but I wouldn't abort, it's more for DF's peace of mind (even though we could still end up with the 1 in a million chance of having a poorly baby). It is a toughie :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back