To puree or not to puree!!

nefisher

Reaction score
I've been giving Poppy pureed fruit/porridge for breakfast and pureed veg for lunch for the last couple of months. I'm going to start giving her meat, pasta etc, but do I need to still stick them in a blender and puree them? Also, I give her about 2 dessert spoon full of food in the morning and at lunch, should I do the same for dinner or do you think she should be having more food?

I would puree the meat personally, maybe just break up the pasta a bit, not puree, its depends if your LO likes lumps or not? Sometimes the texture can be off putting, so that's why most baby food is pureed to get LO's used to taste first, rather than texture.

You know your little girl and I'm sure whichever you decide you'll both have fun trying new flavours :hug: Let us know how it goes, and have you introduced her to finger foods? Carrot and cucumber sticks, pieces of mango or melon? That will help her learn to 'negotiate' lumps, and be prepared for some 'gagging', all babies have a natural gag reflex but it can be a little intense to see first time, very best wishes, wish I could help but all I know is what I have done with Isaac :hug:

I haven't tried finger foods, I'm a bit scared of choking but I suppose I'm going to have to do it at some point as it may be embarassing when she is 18!!! Sorry if I sound dumb, but do you chop the skin off of the cucumber and just give a little bit of cooked carrot?

We all have to learn, nothing dumb about asking :hug: :hug: :hug: I'm only just starting out myself, Isaac's not overly keen on food stuffs, but he enjoys playing with it, which I see as all good as he becomes familiar with food, textures etc
Boiled carrot sticks are better, and cucumber strips as they come, with skin, it gives a sturdiness to it so they can hold it, just like mango and melon, the fleshy bits they'll chew off and eat are easily broke down in their gummy mouths :lol:
You can buy food holders if you're worried about choking, they are made by Munchkin;
http://www.toysrus.co.uk/Product.aspx/B ... kin/390275
Also you can buy crisp like hand foods and biscuits from many stores, Organix make some like big wotsits but they're carrot flavour, they go down well with Isaac :lol:

Have fun!! You'll both be just fine :hug: :hug: :hug:

i do tend to blend meat for Dylan or mash things up finely..Hienz do mini pasta which i have boguth for D but seems easier...
i started by giving D rusks and rice cakes .he now tired little bits off our plate.

RE amount you are feeding..if your LO is gaining weight and not seeming hungry then she is fine as she is..i always treid to remember nutritionally they don't need anything but milk till they are 6 months this helped me relax about feeding

It is a good idea to cintinue to puree for a bit longer, as baby doesnt have teeth, and will therefore not get much goodness out of things and might choke trying to swallow whole. Everybody has their own way, but what I have done with my two older ones and am doing with LO is this: puree food, veggie and meat, and always leave something as fingerfood. So, if you are doing chicken with veggies, for instance, leave a piece of chicken breast for baby to chew on while you are spoon feeding the puree. I find it is a good way of introducing new textures without worrying about how much gets eaten at the actual meal, baby is getting most of the nutrition out of the puree. It also means that baby is actively participating in "feeding himself" from an early age!
As far as quantities it varies from babe to babe. I, like you have been introducing purees for a couple of months and Ani (six months on twenty ninth december) is eating about one hundred grammes veg at lunch and similoar amount fruit at tea. The rest of her meals are stil breastmilk and cereal at breakfast with one eighty cc milk

Hope this helps

:hug: :hug:

Lisa

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27