Time off for antenatal/parenting classes

moss

Reaction score
I know women are entitled to time off for antenatal classes, but are men (paid OR unpaid)? My husband's work are giving him a little bit of a hard time (for THREE DAYS arrrgh) and they apparently "are out of employee handbooks at the moment." Convenient.

I had to search really hard for the answer to this when I was pregnant, and the answer is (I'm sorry to say) - no. My OH is a teacher and couldn't work flexibly or make the time back (an option for you?) so we ended up going to NCT antenatal classes (the ones you pay for) at the weekends so that we could both be much better prepared for my (home) birth.

Valentine Xxx

Arrgh thanks. I was afraid of that. I thought I had read otherwise somewhere, but it might have just been the employee benefits of a particular place. It's stupid that the government claim these parentcraft classes are so essential and then don't make employers let fathers out of work for a couple of hours for them! Especially since they seem to go on and on about the roll of the father...

I think a lot of the time, it will depend on how flexible your company is and many will use their discretion.

We booked weekend classes over weekday classes with the NHS but neither of us would have had probs getting time off to attend them in the week if we'd wanted to.

They don't have weekend classes here, unfortunately. My classes are Wednesdays 13.30-16.30. Convenient. The classes for the two of us are late in the evening, meaning I will be getting home from the hospital at around 10 and coming back in for 9. Fun stuff. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back