Your rights when pregnant and working.

Urchin

Reaction score
Work and pregnancy - your rights and benefits

All pregnant women have some basic rights to protect their health and safety and that of their unborn child during pregnancy. Other rights depend, in part, on the length of time you have been with your company.

Pregnant women who are employees have the right not to be unreasonably refused time off during their pregnancy to attend antenatal appointments with their GP or at the local hospital and to be paid for such time off. Your employer may ask for written confirmation that you are pregnant and proof of the appointment for all appointments apart from the first one. You will be able to get this from your midwife or GP at your first antenatal appointment.

Antenatal care may include antenatal or parentcraft classes if your midwife, GP or health visitor advises that these appointments are part of your antenatal care.

All pregnant women are entitled to special health and safety protection at work to ensure that their working conditions do not put them or their baby at risk. (These rights also apply if you have given birth within the last six months, or if you are breastfeeding.) If you have any concerns about your working conditions you must tell your employer that you are pregnant and ask for a risk assessment. Your employer has a duty to carry out a risk assessment and, if necessary, must take the following steps:

* Do all that is reasonable to remove or reduce the risks found and/or
* Temporarily change your working conditions or hours of work,
* If a risk remains, offer you suitable alternative work, or
* If there is no suitable alternative, suspend you on full pay for as long as is necessary to avoid the risk.

To find out more, you should contact your trade union, your personnel/human resources officer or your local Health and Safety Executive.

The Maternity Alliance also produces a useful leaflet called Health and Safety at Work: Your Rights in Pregnancy and After Childbirth.

Dismissal or unfair treatment

It is against the law for your employer to dismiss you or select you for redundancy for any reason connected with pregnancy, childbirth or maternity leave. This applies from day one. You are protected no matter how long you have worked for your employer. You also now have the right not to be treated unfairly on the grounds of pregnancy, childbirth or maternity leave. If you feel that you are being treated unfairly, you should seek advice from your trade union or local Citizens’ Advice Bureau.

My employers have no problem with me taking time to attend appointments but make me take it as holiday or work my lunch... is this right? xx

you are entitled to reasonable paid time off for antenatal care and your employers should not be making you take it as hols or work longer hours to make it up.

JayK2387 said:
My employers have no problem with me taking time to attend appointments but make me take it as holiday or work my lunch... is this right? xx

No it's not right at all! You can leave work, go to your appointment etc and get paid as usual!

:shakehead: thats terrible!

i had LOADS of time off- as i live almost 15 miles away from work they paid me for travelling time too- if i had an hour appointment they would allow me the hour with 90 minutes either side for travelling- i would get 4 hours paid for one appointment! i work for a very large company tho (big up RBS! :D ) i spose it might be harder if its a smaller company u work for they might not give u 3 hours travelling time :lol: but still, they shouldnt make u work thru lunch- thats naughty of them :evil:

I have found out that my employers are puting it down on record that I am off sick when I go to antenatel/Hospitals appointments, even if I am away for a few hours. Is this right? I am starting to worry that I may not be getting paid for these hours and how bad it is going to look in the future with references etc.

sarah82 said:
I have found out that my employers are puting it down on record that I am off sick when I go to antenatel/Hospitals appointments, even if I am away for a few hours. Is this right? I am starting to worry that I may not be getting paid for these hours and how bad it is going to look in the future with references etc.

its not right, they need to pay you as usual! Later they may started moaning you have had too much time "off sick"

hi, im feeling little concerned about telling my employer im pregnant. basically cut a long story short i worked perivously for the company for 5 years left in jan last year. my oh is a manager for the company and he got asked to move from out home city to london for 6th months and as i had worked for them for 5 yars before and only left for 6 months they gave me my job and to be fair the have treated me well but this was only going to be for 6 months and then we was going to go home but the wanted us to stay for a further year and bassically if they wanted to us to stay we had a few conditions they had to agree to one of them the give me bk my perminant contract for 39hrs a week which the agreed to. Now in the past iv seen this company screw people over and last week i had to sign a key time contract but only untill the manager had spoken to the area manger about it whhich is fine and what i expected but im thinking if they find out the mite not give me my perminante contract as my baby will be due in september which is basically the start of their most busy period what do i do if this happens where to i stand
thanks in advance xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rania89
Back