Time away from your child/ren

Sherlock

Reaction score
I've done lots of thinking on this. Excuse longish post, but anyone who reads my rambles knows they do get to the point eventually :lol: :roll:

My experiences as a nanny these past 15 or so years have shown me that having some time away from your children can be a positive thing. I've cared for many children whose parents went away for a couple of nights, a weekend away and so on. Others whose fathers were away for longer periods of time and whose mothers then also had to work or go away for up to a couple of weeks at a time. Some parents have left me to care for their children for 3-4 weeks while they went on their annual winter sun holiday.

All of the children coped really well with being left with someone they knew and had a good bond with. Yes, on the longer trips the children missed their parents, but were surprisingly upbeat and happy and not overly upset at not seeing their parents for a few weeks. I had ways of coping if they ever got a bit upset or wanted/needed to talk to Mummy and Daddy. They also had days with grandparents and so on to break up the time. Most of these children had been left in the care of others like this since they were babies. The only problem I ever had with a child was in a family where the parents had never left them overnight until the youngest was 3. It was the girl aged 5 going on 6 who had the real problem with them then going away. She then caused her younger sister to become upset. But after the initial upset, they adjusted and I cared for them a number of times for up to 3 nights at a time.

Now, for myself I want to be able to do the same. Not have a nanny and go away but to be able to leave our LO in the care of my parents or good friends who are very excited at our having a baby and looking forward to an overnight babysit and so on eventually.

Hubby and I don't go away on holidays as such, we prefer long weekends and things like that. We'd leave LO here at home so they are in their own environment to start off with, and work up from one night away, say to go see a show in London, to a weekend.

I hope to be able to do this from when LO is about 6 months old. I plan on letting my mother and a couple of other people care for LO during the day also, at least for a few hours so a) LO can get used to others caring for him/her and b) so I can have time away for myself. We also plan to use a good babysitter so we can have evenings out from time to time. I don't plan on doing that until LO is at least 6 months old. Until then my mother has offered to babysit if she comes up to stay overnight.

I know this sort of thing is not for everyone and that some won't want to leave their child in the care of others. I think that my experiences as a nanny have shown me its possible and I have seen many ways of going about it, so have a fairly strong idea in my mind of how I hope to go about it all.

I don't mean I am going to abandon our child every month or anything like that, but a few nights out, a few weekends away and once they turn a year old, maybe start one weekend a month going to visit grandparents for a weekend so even if we don't go away, we have time to ourselves. I feel very strongly that I want to give time to our child but that my husband and I will need time for ourselves also, so hope to find a good balance that works for us. My belief is that if we start this early enough, while still a baby, before it could become a possible issue or problem, LO will be used to it and content when we go away.

I should add my mother was a single working career mum (she and my father separated when I was a baby) and growing up I was also used to her not being there overnight or for a couple of nights a week. Maybe that is why I am more comfortable with this sort of thing than someone else might be.

Have any of you Mums-to-be given this sort of thing much thought? If any? And if so, why do you feel its important for you either way? Are you like me and hoping for some time alone with your partner/friends etc or are you wanting to remain (with partner if there is one) your childs sole carer in that first year (and beyond I guess)?

Thoughts are welcome :)

i wont be leaving my son with anyone unless i really have to,
from a young age (13) my sister left me to look after her son and when she had her second son and i was 16 she would leave him with me while she went out clubbing just weeks after his birth.
its our wedding aniversary on may 31st and we would like to go out for a meal but im worried about leaving my son with anyone even if its just for a few hours,
most people around me with children leave them with anyone who will look after them all night sometimes while they go out living it up i hate it when people have children then dump them on anyone and everyone,
i just dont see the point of having children if your not going to look after them yourselfs, fair enough if you go back to work that cant be helped but not just if you want to go out drinking all weekend everyweek or things like that.
sorry turned into a bit of a rant!!
manda xx

I think it's down to the individual and how they feel about it. I've left James with his grandparents for a maximum of 3 days before when OH and I have gone to a wedding down south, and overnight when we've wanted a night out. I only started doing this once he got to 2 or 3.

I personally wouldn't want to leave him any longer. I miss him too much. I know if I went on holiday without him I wouldn't enjoy it cos I'd miss him too much. I'd much rather take him with me and be limited in what I can do.
Before I know it he'll he grown up and left home so I'd rather make the most of family holidays whilst I can. Once he's an adult I'll have years to please myself.

Some friends of ours left their 6 month old and 5 year old to go to Mexico for a fortnight. The kids were fine as far as I know.
I couldn't even consider doing that myself! It doesn't feel right for me

ETA: I will be putting baby in nursery from 9 months old part-time so I can return to work, but that is more having to for financial reasons than wanting to. I returned to work when james was 6 months old too

i wouldnt leave mine, i have left Hannah with my neice when we have gone out but would never go on holiday without them, i think thats what u should get out of the way before you have kids and then do again when the grow up (which they do far to quickly), all this if you leave them they are more confident is a load of rubbish, Kieron was never left and he is very confident but at the end of the day its each to thier own

manda224 said:
fair enough if you go back to work that cant be helped but not just if you want to go out drinking all weekend everyweek or things like that.
sorry turned into a bit of a rant!!
manda xx

I can understand your POV :) And don't worry, not seen as a rant. I know of some people who are as you have described. That is not what I was meaning though. I think its a shame if parents do that sort of thing every weekend and so on.

I'm not talking about going out clubbing it evey weekend or anything though. I've not been to a nightclub in over a decade. I don't do pubs either. We are stay at home types :roll: My hope is for responsible parenting and leaving our child with people we trust on occasion. Be it for a meal out every now and again to a weekend away. But not planning on it being a regular thing, just as a treat for us parents to have some time alone. I want to ensure that my husband and I don't lose sight of ourselves and our relationship and that it will need time and effort. And sometimes that can only happen with a bit of alone time. I personally don't feel that 24/7 care of my child for years until older is necessarily healthy for either of us. I want them to have experiences of visiting other people and people coming to us to care for them from time to time. I hope it will work for us but appreciate its not for everyone.

I'm always interested to read and hear what others feel on this hence me asking. Its good to be able to read differing POV on it all :) Helps me consider some things I may have missed.

muppetmummy said:
I personally wouldn't want to leave him any longer. I miss him too much. I know if I went on holiday without him I wouldn't enjoy it cos I'd miss him too much. I'd much rather take him with me and be limited in what I can do.

I'd not want to go away on holiday for any length of time. But I do like the possibility of a weekend away from time to time.

Hubby and I don't do holidays anyways. We really are not beach people etc. Camping is more us :lol: If we do weekend breaks chances are often we will want to take LO with us. But from time to time we hope for some alone time also. We plan on taking a 6 month - year break to Australia some time before LO reaches school age. So we can spend time with the family over there and LO can get to know them better. Also so we can travel round Australia as a family and see more of it than just the area OH comes from.

I have been fortunate enough in that after I had Jamie I didn't have to return to work, I know others are not so lucky and do have to make other arrangements. The result of not working is that Jamie has been with me constantly since he was born. I can count on one hand the amount of times he has been away from me over night, the longest being 3 days when I went away with hubby at the begining of the year, it was supposed to be so I could relax but I fretted the whole time I was away even though I knew Jamie was in good hands (my parents) I didn't like being away from him.

I have no trouble going out for the night with hubby and having Jamie or the new baby babysat by my mam, but don't think I would like to leave them overnight.

I do think that it makes it a bit harder to leave them the later you wait to do it, if it is something you plan to do then you should do it from an early age, but for what we do I am safe in the knowledge that Jamie is happy to be left with nana and granda.

What I don't agree with is people who think it is their god given right to be able to leave their children with grandparents no matter what. I know several people like this and it really bugs me. The way I see it is that grandparents should be able to enjoy their grandchildren and not have them thrust upon them, at the end of the day they have done their child rearing.

I say do what you and those around you feel comfortable with, it is entirely an individual thing.

Honestly, you all need some time alone with your partners :D

I thought, ah this will be fine, but when you're used to going out whenever you want without having to think about things like childcare, you're relationship will become very different and you'll pass by a few weeks and feel like you are going stir crazy and living separate lives and co-habiting as opposed to having a relationship.

OH's mum comes down every 6 weeks and we have a night out for 2 hours. This just about gets us by but now Ryan is old enough not to *need* us, ie as he is only breastfed once a day now, we are planning on trying to make something more regular like a night away each month or at least a meal out each month.

Honestly, you will go stirfry if you can't have those couple of hours space every so often. We wished we could do it more often but we just don't have any family around here to help us out, and we aren't comfortable with the idea of childminders/babysitters that we don't know.

I agree completely with the idea of getting out for a meal etc every week or every couple of weeks, but feel differently about weekends away/holidays etc. We did those things before we had children and understand now that things are different and we either go on holidays or weekends which cater for children or we don't go.

I wont be leaving my LO for any length of time other than the odd night out but then it wont be for overnight, just for a few hours while we have a meal or something. He'll be coming on any holidays or weekends away we have too. I mean thats what Im having him for, to be part of our family and that means doing things together be it holidays or whatever. Id miss him too much and doubt Id enjoy myself tbh if I had a weekend away without him. Me and OH will find ways to have quality time together :D

Because I am a Guide and Brownie leader who enjoys taking children away for weekends and weeks, I can really see the value in getting kids used to sleeping away from their parents occasonally. When babe is very little, I'll take it with me to camps, but when he gets mobile it will be too much hard work to look after him and 20 other children so he'll stay with his dad or grandparents.

Many times I have been at a camp with a child who can't sleep because it's their first night away from home and they are homesick. When they finally get the confidence to sleep and realise what a good time they are having then it's great to see.

With my baby, I am more than happy for it to stay with my dad and step-mum or a weekend or my mum, I'd be less happy if it was not a member of the family until babe was at least 4 or 5, but sleep overs and stuff are a great way of the kids having a new experience and the parents having a bit of a break.

We have left my son with my mum to go on holiday twice now and it was fine both times. My son loved having time with his nanny and we loved having a bit of space of our own. I trust my mum 100% with my son and they adore each other. I missed him like mad and I couldn't wait to see him but he didn't even really notice we were gone! He was full of smiles and cuddles when we got back and he loved every minute of being with my mum. I think if you're happy and you trust someone enough then it's fine but it's totally a personal choice. Apart from that we have never really left my son apart from the odd couple of hours here and there but that's it. He's going to start staying at my mum's soon overnight once in a while so he is used to it again for when the baby arrives cos chances are he'll need to stay with her for at least a night. I think every couple should have a few hours out or a break just to be a couple again. We fall easily into the work, cook, clean, eat, sleep motions everyday and I think it's nice to remember why you fell in love with the person you're with even just to have a chat. I read in the paper that the average couple gets 15 mins each day to talk or have sex and then it's time to sleep again, how bad is that?

Totally get your point - however I can't be apart from DD :oops:
She's 2 and I haven't left her for more than 3 1/2 hours (meal out with hubby) But she is very confident - not at all clingy to me so it really does depend on the child.

I honestly never thought before having her that I would be a clingy parent but I'm awful :oops: will only leave DD with either my best friend or parents and even then I fret a little. Thankfully DD hasn't picked up on my uselessness!!

I'm the same with the clingyness though, I would never leave my ds with anyone except my mum. My brother and sister in law have 2 children together and they are amazing parents but I still don't know if I could leave my ds with them, it's silly really!

I'd leave Paris as she's at an age where she likes to stay with grandma/auntie but as for leaving my boy NO WAY :lol:

hello
I have family nearby who I would trust to babysit for a couple of hours and a devoted sister who is gay and may never have her own child who has asked about taking the baby on holiday with her and partner, I'm not sure of the whole holiday thing but I was a clingy child and found leaving home for uni really hard so I like the idea of my child being a bit more independent but not at the risk of putting people (grandparents etc)out and feeling homesick.

I think it all depends on circumstances and personal choice.

I think me and OH will need some quality time and his parents will be more than happy to give us a couple of hours off as they are very excited about the baby.

At the moment I can't see myself leaving the baby with anyone apart from OH for the first year. I have waited a long time for this baby and I have given up my wonderful job to raise this child. I want to be there as much as possible, I didn't have this child to fit into my life, I made a very conscious decision to devote my life to raising a happy child.
Both my parents worked constantly and I was passed from carer to carer. Some were ok, but some were very unhappy experiences. My parents were very focussed on money and forgot about their family in the process - we could have managed without flash cars and holidays etc.
My sister and I had most material possessions we could ask for, but now we have terrible relationships with our parents. :(
It has made me more determined to sod the material things in life (very hard for a woman used to 10 years of DINKY-dom, designer handbags and makeup!!) and focus on my child.
Having said all this…I am also a pragmatist and I realise that I may feel differently after a few months of having a child at home all day alone. I am not going to lock myself into any situation. I may want to leave my child for an evening with a friend whilst OH and I have some time alone. But I only have about 2 people nearby that I trust enough to respect the way we want to raise our child. My in-laws thinks we are too hippy (they think breastfeeding is unnecessary and that it is cruel to deny kids sweets and chocolate on a daily basis :roll: ) they would be feeding my 6 month old Sunny Delight and chips! :rotfl: It is going to take a lot for me to be able to trust them to respect our wishes. If that happens, I will be happy to leave the child with them for a few hours.
Can’t imagine I’d be ready to do overnight for a little while though.

BTW: I am not criticising people who have to work, today's housing is very very expensive and many simply have to, including my dear sister. I just get annoyed with people, like my old boss, who stick their kids in nursery from 8-6, 5 days a week so that they can afford their stupidly big house, designer gear, car and 2 holidays abroad. There has to be more to life?

I agree Happybunny, I wanted to stay at home with Jamie and I wouldn't change any of it at all. It does get lonely and dare I say it a bit boring sometimes but he definitely has felt the benefit from having me here. I also understand because of the cost of the most basic of things that there are many households were both parents have to work, as I said I have been very fortunate. When I do go back to work though it will be part time as my hubby works such long hours I would like one of us to be home for the children. I do know not everyone has this luxury.

I totally agree with having some time out and will be trying to get used to nights out as soon as I can (maybe a couple of months after baby is born). I have a sister and good friends nearby who I would totally trust to babysit. I also used to babysit when I was young for others and it is totally normal.I think it is healthy for you and baby.

I also think that not doing that can have a worse affect on your child - they will depend too much on it always be you caring for them. Another reason is that I think it might be that you become too emotionally dependent on always being around your baby which isnt healthy for you.

I have observed friends who have young children and the ones who go out every couple of weeks or more for a night out are actually brilliant parents and babies very happy. The ones who have left it for ages without doing so have become more anxious and the kids are clingy and nervous.

I think the odd weekend away would be ok when kid is older but generally I would want to go away as a family with the kids.

I will be going back to work after 6 months because I am looking at the long term plan of my and my children's happiness, not just the apparent short-term gain of being at home all day with baby. You dont love your kid any less, you actually can be a really postive role model for them. I always think what are they learning from you and the impact your life is having on the world?

There's my rant as well guys!!!

Happybunny said:
BTW: I am not criticising people who have to work, today's housing is very very expensive and many simply have to, including my dear sister. I just get annoyed with people, like my old boss, who stick their kids in nursery from 8-6, 5 days a week so that they can afford their stupidly big house, designer gear, car and 2 holidays abroad. There has to be more to life?

So many parents do have to return to work once maternity leave is up, or even before. Being a stay at home mum with a working partner almost seems like a bit of a luxury these days :? . Needs must means parents have no choice often enough. However, scaling down a lifestyle can also mean more quality time with family. I think it depends on the family and circumstances as you say.

I plan on being at home pretty much full time till school age. Although I have said to OH I'd like to do something for a few hours a week once my maternity leave is up just so as to have somewhere else to go that does not involve children. Be it working in a local shop to a yard full of horses, something different will be nice. OH works from home a lot so is happy to care for LO when I work. But I don't plan on doing more than 16 hours a week maximum. However, if needs must then I shall have to work a bit more, but hopefully it won't come to that. We lead a very low key lifestyle already and can't get any more low key if we tried :lol: so its not that I am giving up masses or changing my life dramatically to have a child.

I've looked after children for many years now and its been full on. I know whats ahead of me with my own child. Having my own at this point in my life I am ready for them, but I also still hope to maintain some semblence of 'me' while growing as a person with my child and with my partner. I value a bit of me/us time and don't view it as being selfish for myself, but that it will be better for me/us in the longer term as a couple. I don't want to be swallowed up by being only a Mum. I have other parts of me I still hope to be able to embrace from time to time. To deny or ignore them would do no one any good.

It may not always be easy, but I shall work with my partner to find a good balance for us and our LO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JenniferU
Back