• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

tied to mother's apron strings

Xena

Reaction score
Alex is obsessed with me. If I put him down for even a minute, he cries and screams as though he's being murdered.
Even if DH takes him it doesn't help. Literally the only time he doesn't bawl is if he's on my knee/in my arms, or sitting on the bed with me right next to him. He's also ok if we're out and he's in his pram or car seat but that's all.

So I have to cook with him in one arm
I have to take him to the loo with me
It's frigging ridiculous.

I'v tried leaving him to just cry - it doesn't help, he screams and screams and screams.

A few days ago I left him with DH for an hour whilst I went to tesco, and he screamed for the entire hour. He screamed so much he made himself violently sick.

help! What the heck do I do?

sling! alice had days like this, and she lived on my back! even now she has times where she just wants to cuddle, so i pop her on my back. means i could get things done.

Well I kinda want him to stop being so clingy. A sling probably would mean I could get things done, but I want him to learn that it's okay to be with other people and that he doesn't need only me 24/7.
I'm not sure a sling would teach him that really.

Cheers for the suggestion though hun.

apart from distraction, or just letting him scream it out, i don't know what else to suggest. sorry hun :)

I knew before I even opened this thread you would be talking about your boy. I sympathise, Joe is the same. Its hard to make dinner with a 19 month old clampled to your thigh.

I can only think its a stage. Joe isnt as bad just now, he has his moments but nothing compared to about 6 months ago. I thought I was going to go nuts.

I think all you can do just now is go with it and reassure him, bascially do what your doing. I know what you mean about wanting him to b his own personal and not so clingy but it will come. Joe will go to people that previously he would have screamed at.

:hug:

I'm worried though because I'm meant to be going back to uni when he's 13 months old. God knows what will happen then if he's still as clingy as he is now.

You have my sympathy. My little boy is the same at the moment. This has been going on for about 3 weeks. He literally wants to be carried or played with every second of the day and if I am not looking at him and making eye contact he starts whining or crying, bites me to get attention or just hangs on to my clothes, follows me into the loo etc. It just started suddenly. I guess this is the 'attachment' phase that psychologists talk about so much... :roll:

Check out the Baby Whisperer site - I am sure they deal with this in detail and I can recall something about building the LO's confidence and teaching them to feel safe when you leave them etc.

I have got lots of advice from the Baby Whisperer and really like the way she thinks.

http://www.babywhisperer.com/smf/

Isaac was like that when he was younger, and sometimes now and again too, I too sympathize :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: It could be seperation anxiety though, this link may help;

http://www.babycentre.co.uk/baby/develo ... ependence/

I do know my OH, best friend and his Grandma have tried to watch Isaac in the past but when he's in that mood he too will just scream and cry and only stop when back with me, but he has branched out to OH now too, though OH's been home and spending more time with him. Can your OH spend more time with him possibly? Maybe start by just leaving the room for a couple of minutes, then re-enter and make a fuss of him for being good for Daddy? It would just give you 5mins here and there.

Really hope it eases for you soon, having a P with LO on your knee is rubbish I know :shock: Very very best wishes :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

It does seem to be more a boy preference thing too :think:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clark Gracen
Back