Thrush.....

WILMAFLINSTONE

Reaction score
in boobs and Matilda has it in her mouth!

Shes had it for over a week now and passed it onto my boobs and hell are they sore!

Ive had medication (cream) and she is on her second lot of Nystan now and we just seem to be passing it to eachother just as it seems to be going.

Im really upset as Im scared that because Im not feeding her as much my milk will dry up but the pain inside my boobs is horrendously painfull even when trying to express with my electric pump! Im still putting her on but I can only feed her for about 10 mins each side before the pain kicks in and I have to take her off!!! Im also trying to hand express as much as I can as it doesnt hurt as much as using the pump but wondered if anyone else has had this problem and what did you do to keep your milk supply flowing and plentyfull?

I really am not haapy with the amount of formular Im having to give her when I could be feeding her myself so hope someone can help xxx

Last edited:
I cant help hun but your doing fab, I had the same with my son and it caused me to give up breast feeding as it was just too painful. And all we seemed to be doing was pass it between us. Keep it up hun it will soon dissapear just dont forget to keep applying you cream etc :D Hope your feeling better soon xxx

Thanks Beth..... Yes its horrendous pain isnt it! Ive got nipple shields which help a bit but as long as Ive got it in my boobs its getting passed to her through my milk as it just doenst seem to be completely clearing up from either of us!

But thanks for the encouragement hopefully it will go soon and I can crack on feeding her more and keep ,my milk coming lol xxx

Bumping this as really could do with some advice please??? xx

Hi wilma, I'm sorry I only just saw this!

Cahal had thrush which transferred to me when he was about 4 weeks old. We were prescribed Daktarin for his mouth and the doc suggested Canestan for me which was bloody stupid of him :roll: after speaking with the pharmacist about it he recommended that I use the Daktarin on my nipples too.

I applied the Daktarin to both Cahal and myself after every other feed (he was still only teeny so feeding lots) and inbetween I used Biofem on my nipples as well. Breast pads were changed after every feed or as soon as they became wet, and I washed carefully every night before putting on a clean bra, drying with a clean towel.

It cleared up on me before Cahal - it took about 3 days, Cahal was clear a couple of dats later but I used he Daktarin on us both for a full week. We didn't have any problems after that thank god, i remember the pain like it was yesterday!! I did find daily bathing the best relief, but Biofem was heaven in a tube!!

Hope it goes soon xxx

Ah thanks Inky....

We were given Nystatin for Matilda and 1%thrush cream the first time which I had to give her 4 times a day and apply the cream like you after every feed, change pads after every feed and again when I was leaking really bad and ive been having baths every night as its so painful to let the shower run on my boobs.... then I had to get another dose of Nystatin for M and more cream for me and shes still got a few white spots on the side of her cheeks.

My nipples look like they are about to fall off they have what looks like open cuts around them and the internal pain is awful but Im still putting her on as much as I can with a nipple shield but shes not liking that so my boobs arnt filling up half as much as they were and I fear my supply is/will dry up!

Did you get your medication from the Dr or can you buy it over the counter? Thanks again Im desperate to keep on bfeeding xxx

I got it from the doctor but I've a feeling you can get it over the counter too...

It sounds like you have it worse than I did...I can't imagine how painful feeding must be for you at the moment! Sounds like you're still doing a fab job though :)

Ahh thanks Inky.... Yeah its worse than when I had nipples like pie crusts lol but I really dont want to stop feeding so will try anything to be able to crack on feeding her..... And thank you for your positive words and encouragement xxxx

Thrush is flipping agony isn't it? Me and Maia been getting treated for the last two weeks. I had a really badly cracked nipple which wouldn't heal and burning pain in breasts between feeds. Maia's only symptom is a kind of milky looking tongue. Doc gave me fluconazole to take for 7 days which she said would cure Maia too as she would get it through breast milk - I didn't think this was right but she insisted it was. A week later I was slightly better but pain not gone, so spoke to another doc and got 7 more days supply and also nystatin for Maia. That was a week ago today and I'm still getting pains. Its awful, keeps me awake at night and getting little enough sleep as it is with Maia! Spoke to doc again today but she doesn't seem to want to do anything else since I had medication for 2 weeks. Really dunno what to do now. Want to keep bf'ing but its sooooo painful.

Ah Tania Im with you on the pain! Its horrendous! I had HV call me again tonight and she said get the tablet that youve mentioned but its a one off doze and apparently its great and starts clearing things up within hours so I rang Drs and have telephone appt tomorrow to ask for it....maybe you can try that and insist on the one off doze rather than a prolonged prescription.... I know what you mean coz I really dont want to stop feeding her.....hope your sorted soon tho as its really not nice xxxx

Did the single dose do the trick Doc not keen to give me anything else since have had the 2 weeks of it. Saying that not sure if it is thrush now causing the pain as only seems to be 1 boob now and ibuprofen helps a bit. Whatever it is wish it would bog off!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Currish
Back