Throat infection antibiotics.... IV?

Shell99

Reaction score
Hi all

Sorry to post such a negative thread!

Yesterday afternoon I started to get a slight sore throat, I didn't think much of it until yesterday evening when the fever kicked in.

Throughout the night I had a temp between 38.6 - 38.9 but with paracetamol I could get it down to 38.1 - 38.3.

My entire body is hurting my temps through the roof n I feel freezing!

Visited GP this morning who says throat infection gave me antibiotics told me to continue with paracetamol and although I told him I could hardly swallow he assured me it was all on one side n I'm to drink often n do my best to keep temps down.

Since coming home I read a comment on the NHS website re most penicillin being safe to take during pregnancy, but this particular one said its not been confirmed its safe in pregnancy and should only be taken if strictly necessary.

I called GP to ask, he assured me he had double checked with colleagues after getting my message and had looked it up in 'the book' n there are no problems expected if taken during pregnancy etc. he reassured me n said but please try to get a couple of doses down ASAP as I am concerned re how painful and swollen that all looked....

Since then.... I've been sick :( guessing I've brought up the antibiotic. I don't know what to do. Call doc back again? What's the alternative..... IV for cpl
Days? But is that dangerous for baby?

Any advice appreciated!

Awww you poor thing.

What antibiotic is it?

I got bit by something last week and ended up with cellulitis. Dr put me on antibiotics 3 times a day. Ended up is A&E, who couldn't do much more. Then Friday went back to dr who added another antibiotic, upped the duration and also the frequency. So I'm on 2 different antibiotics, 7 times a day for 10 days. I'm a bit concerned I'm putting too much in to my body. But dr said its all fine. Still not convinced, and quite worried :-/

Awww you poor thing.

What antibiotic is it?

I got bit by something last week and ended up with cellulitis. Dr put me on antibiotics 3 times a day. Ended up is A&E, who couldn't do much more. Then Friday went back to dr who added another antibiotic, upped the duration and also the frequency. So I'm on 2 different antibiotics, 7 times a day for 10 days. I'm a bit concerned I'm putting too much in to my body. But dr said its all fine. Still not convinced, and quite worried :-/

It's called, Phenoxymethyl penicillin potassium 250 mg tablets, 4 times per day for a week.

I must add twice in the past a throat infection as took hold of me so quickly giving me septicaemia n landing me in hospital on IV antibiotics and drops etc. naturally I do tend to panic every time I get a sore throat now. However I can see the swelling on my neck already n I'm concerned I'm feeling so bad as I already have septicaemia perhaps n worrying for the baby!

That must have been a monster of an insect! 2 strains of antibiotics! I know it's hard not to worry, I keep thinking I'm putting too much into my body too but I guess the docs know what they're doing, n guess it's better than having infection flowing around our bodies!

Hope you feel better soon x

Oooo never heard of that one. I'm in amoxicillin and another one starting with F.

Haha, wish I'd seen the huge thing that bit me! Only clue was the red dot in my leg with the sting thing hanging out. Know what you mean about panicking. Last time I saw cellulitis was in my son, and it turned in to necrotising fasciitis (flesh eating disease)

Swelling neck doesn't sound good!

Sorry to tri hop but I hope I can help. the penicillin you've been given is also known as penicillin V, one of the most commonly prescribed penicillins. Its been around years and years and years! It is absolutely safe in pregnancy. It does often cause stomach upset unfortunately. This is made worse by the fact that you have to take it on an empty stomach :( Try and persevere as Pen V is excellent for throat infections but if you can't keep it down, you may need a different antibiotic xx
(Resource - I'm a hospital & community pharmacist ;) who also gets frequent tonsilitis, BOO!! )

Sorry to tri hop but I hope I can help. the penicillin you've been given is also known as penicillin V, one of the most commonly prescribed penicillins. Its been around years and years and years! It is absolutely safe in pregnancy. It does often cause stomach upset unfortunately. This is made worse by the fact that you have to take it on an empty stomach :( Try and persevere as Pen V is excellent for throat infections but if you can't keep it down, you may need a different antibiotic xx
(Resource - I'm a hospital & community pharmacist ;) who also gets frequent tonsilitis, BOO!! )

Thank you very much! It's very reassuring to hear! Well, fingers crossed.... I slept through the time I was supposed to take the next one so am running a little late, but just took it..... If I'm sick within the hour ill be taking myself off to the hospital or urgent care centre.... But my temps momentarily in the 37 range which is progress so hopefully it'll be a bit smoother this time

I had to take antivirals at the very start of my pregnancy which can be dangerous but was informed that in small doses, such as your prescription, there isn't many medications unless strong etc. that will be dangerous. I can definitely empathise with your panic though!

I had to take antivirals at the very start of my pregnancy which can be dangerous but was informed that in small doses, such as your prescription, there isn't many medications unless strong etc. that will be dangerous. I can definitely empathise with your panic though!

Thank you. It's just Sod's law, I had a cough virus before we got out BFP then I've been a little tired n exhausted with early pregnancy symptoms n now this. Hopefully ill get over this in a few days to a week n be able to just get on and enjoy my pregnancy

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back