This is going to sound stupid.....

babyblonde

Reaction score
Ok, sit tight and prepare for brain ache.

We've now in the past 2 months had 1 chemical pregnancy and 1 m/c at 5 weeks. Might just be bad luck or might mean that the little ones are not sticking for some reason which would need sorting.

Now, (stay with me) my GP has suggested that we next time wait til a little later to test (i.e. several days after AF due rather than on the day or - slapped wrist - before :oops: ) and then take a urine sample to the GP so they can check the HCG levels. She said this would save us the pain of getting BFP if it isn't going to stay - and that if we lose another one they will look into it further.

BUT - if we test later, thus avoiding knowing that we WERE pregnant but aren't any more, how are they going to know if we've lost another one or not???????

The more I think about it, the more I get confused!!!!!

I think I read somewhere that the average sexually active woman can have loads of chemical pregnancies in their lifetime without even knowing it, 50% of fertilised eggs end in this way. AF turns up a few days late and is maybe a bit heavier than before.

Personally I would wait till AF doesn't show just to prevent disappointment hun :hug: :hug: :hug:

Fingers crossed for you x x x

Kim x x x x

Oh definitely - no way I am early testing again now, regardless of how tempting!

What I'm worried about is that if we wait til AF arrives, surely it covers up the fact that you were actually pregnant and if there is a problem with stickies that it wouldn't get picked up - AF would just keep arriving.

Don't even know if I'm making sense anymore! :doh: :doh: :think: :think:

Thats the thing hun, it doesnt mean there's a problem. 1 in 5 fertilised eggs dont manage to implant and just fall away, the woman gets AF and never even knows about it (unless she tests early) :hug: :hug:

I see what you are saying hun. I would just go with the flow for a while - only testing when AF is late and if your still not preg after say a year start worrying about things like that. :hug: :hug:

Easier said than done - I know :hug: :hug:

Kim x x x

Cool thanks girls. Perhaps that's what she meant - keep waiting until no AF unless it goes on for a long time.

Feeling very blonde this week!

Thanks! That was her when she was around two months.

Kim x x x x

hi hun!! ur bound to feel all ova the place this week (very blonde hehe)
iv found this about why you should not really test before af (i no most of us dont we r very naughty!!! i found out a week bf af due!!!)...dont no if its ne use lol.

What Is A Chemical Pregnancy?
A chemical pregnancy is the clinical term used for a very early miscarriage. In many cases, the positive pregnancy test was achieved before the woman’s period was due but a miscarrige occured before a heartbeat was able to be seen on an ultrasound.

With the ultra sensitive pregnancy tests on the market today, it is easier than ever to get a positive result 3 or 4 days before your period is due. It is wonderful for those who NEED to know, but does have it’s down side. Early testing shows chemical pregnancies which would not have been detected had the woman waited for her period to arrive.

Chemical pregnancies are unfortunately very common. 50 to 60% of first pregnancies end in miscarriage very early in pregnancy. Most occur without the woman even knowing that she was pregnant.

What Causes a Chemical Pregnancy
Most chemical pregnancies are due to chromosomal problems in the developing fetus. Other possible causes are inadequate uterine lining, uterine abnormalities both congenital or acquired like fibroids, low hormone levels, luteal phase defect or certain infections.

How can I Prevent Chemical Pregnancies
Most chemical pregnancies can not be prevented. If you have recurring chemical pregnancies, your doctor should be able to investigate and help you formulate a treatment which is best for you. Potential treatments include vitamin B6 (at least 50mg a day), progesterone cream, and baby asprin. Be sure to discuss potential treatments with your doctor.

and this lol!!!

What is a chemical pregnancy?
A very early miscarriage occurring much before the pregnancy symptoms are noticed is called a chemical pregnancy. The name "chemical" is imparted due to the fact that the only evidence of pregnancy is raised level of hCG seen in a laboratory test.

What are some important facts related to chemical pregnancy?
Occurs in the first trimester around 2-4 weeks
Loss of pregnancy is seen before the next menstrual cycle is missed
Lack of implantation of fertilized egg to the uterus
Loss of pregnancy is well before the fetal heart activity could begin
Miscarriage is interpreted to be a normal menstruation
Early pregnancy testing delivers positive results causing an illusion of pregnancy
Repeating the pregnancy test later shows negative results
Only way to diagnose is elevated levels of hCG in blood
Impossible to diagnose with an ultrasound
Increased maternal age exhibits increased risk of miscarriages
What are the causes of chemical pregnancy?
Hormonal Deficiencies, genetic problems, uterine fibroids, radiation exposure, smoking and certain drugs are some of the causes of chemical pregnancies. Uterine infections and blighted ovum may also cause early miscarriages.

What are the signs and symptoms of chemical pregnancy?
It would be really difficult to detect the signs of chemical pregnancies as normal pregnancy symptoms occur around 6 weeks at the earliest. Fatigue and nausea are early symptoms but would be known to a woman who has been pregnant before. Symptoms like abdominal pain, blood clots in menses and prolonged or heavy menstruation suggest miscarriage.

What is its impact on fertility?
Risk of future loss of pregnancy is minimal unless there is a history of recurrent miscarriages. Most women who are unaware that they encountered a chemical pregnancy experience normal pregnancies in future without gynecological help. However, few might need supervision and help with fertility experts.

What is the treatment for chemical pregnancies?
The health care consultant decides upon the treatment depending upon factors responsible for the miscarriage. Proper healthy diet, exercise and recommended vitamin supplements should take care of the nutrition part. Though chromosomal defects can be the ones very difficult to deal with, hormonal deficiencies or uterine abnormalities can be corrected with adequate treatment and surgery. The bottom line is pregnancies though unsuccessful prove beyond doubt that the woman is able to conceive. Sustaining it to the stage of clinical pregnancy where in the actual fetus is formed is achievable with the proper consultation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back