Thinking about a kitten..

Ive got a cat and he's soo good I love him

About the scratching thing, as long as they have somethin to scratch on like a scratchin post your furniature should be safe

Also, when my cat was a kitten, we trained him to go outside to the toilet so we dont have a litter tray

He's really good company when your in alone, but like you said really independant so don't have to worry about doing much for him except openin a tin of food and the door for him :lol:

I want another kitten

I've had cats a few years now. But kittens are more recent. One of my cats had her first litter of kittens when i was about 18 weeks pregnant.
I kept them ones. Unfortunately they have just been rehomed but due to our financial circumstances. They were so easy to litter train as i started as soon as they were mobile.
All cats have their own personality. Not all attack you. None of mine ever did. I think it's more when they're young and playful.
They never messed anywhere in the house other than the litter tray (except the odd accident whilst litter training)

While pregnant touching any form of cat poop or wee is a big no no. But i doubt you would anyway, pregnant or not. I just wore latex gloves while cleaning the litter tray.

Smell is more down to regularity of cleaning. If they can go outside, ditch the tray altogether.
Just be careful with baby things. Before baby was born they had a habit of sleeping in the moses basket. They were kicked out instantly and i wouldn't let them in the room with her til she was out of the basket. And they were banned from bedrooms anyway. (More to me not liking sharing my room with them than anything else)
Looking after a kitten whilst pregnant isn't easy, but once you get the hang of it, it's nice. Tilly had 3 in her first litter and i used to sit on the settee at night with all 3 on my bump!

She went on to have her second litter when Angel was 2 weeks old. By 4 weeks i was bottle feeding them due to her rejecting them.

Now she has just had her 3rd litter. So i have a free one available if you want one :wink: :lol:

Anything else i can help you with i will try my hardest.

I was about to point you in the direction of LisaJ's topic!

I've never had experience with cats - I have a 3 year old bichon frise who is gorgeous, I'd trust him with anything. When my stepdads grandsons come to visit, he gets ragged and rode and generally pestered, but he's never snapped at all.

Saying that, if it were cat or dog, I'd say cat, only because they're so much more independant and will go out on their own accord!

Is it a bad idea to get one now? I did want a puppy but DH said no so i've given up on that and thought about a cat instead because they are more independant, not to mention smaller and you don't need to take them for a walk twice a day.

cats are still alot of work. yes they are more independant but they also need to be looked after, groomed regulalry especially if you have a long haired breed, daily cleaning out of a litter tray.Kittens are very demanding, need lots of company and play.

The thing is my grans cats make her house STINK! I've been into a few peoples houses where this is the case too, but on the other hand you wouldn't know DH's parents had cats and can't smell a thing! Do they usually pee everywhere?

Not if they are properly litter trained. cats are very clean animals and need a clean litter tray. I don't think my house smells of cats and I have 4.

Scratching... Is there anyway to make them not use my sofa and tables as scratch posts? And attack your ankles - i tend to hear my gran scream whilst on the phone beacuse one has got her.

scratching posts are handy to have. If they go to the sofa to scratch I throw my keys down on the floor which startles them and they associate the noise with scratching the furniture. None of mine have ever attacked my ankles.

Also, whats the deal with this toxoplasmosis thing from cat poop?

regular worming and good personal hygience minimises any risks of this

Are cats generally good with children? And what about when the baby arrives, is it going to have an attack of 'lets pee everywhere to get attention'?
mine have all accepted the girls. Cally and Beans are best of friends. TBH I would perhaps get one when the baby has arrived and you are all settled as you are due soon and it is a big upheaval for a cat.

Cats are great pets, i've had them all my life while growing up and soon after i got my first house we got 2 kittens.

Kittens can be hard work while they have to stay inside and are young and CRAZY! Most kittens are pretty mental for a while, i have found that having 2 helps as they played alot with each other and also keep each other company when we are out. Kittens do need quite a bit of looking after while young but as cats they are sooo easy, just feeding and cuddling required! However our cats are outdoor cats and so they do toilet outside so no litter tray to contend with anymore, house cats are more demanding I think. Our cats are really short haired too so don't need any grooming at all, some will require regular brushing if very fluffy and will also leave hair all around the house!

Smell wise they shouldn't make the house smell at all. Kittens/house cats will require a litter tray indoors which can be a bit smelly when they use it but if you clear it out regularly there shouldn't be a lingering cat smell in the house. My cats have never wee'd/poo'd inside once they started going outdoors. If pregnant try to avoid doing this yourself to avoid the toxoplasmosis risk but otherwise use gloves. If careful i don't think there is a big risk.

Ours are 2 and a bit now and obviously a lot calmer although still like to have play time, running around like mental things and they like to wrestle with us - amazing though how you know they are playing because they could probably do some real damage if they wanted but they are gentle as anything and keep their claws back. I wouldn't worry about them with kids in the slightest, if anything they would run away from kiddies if they got too much as they seem to have a sense that kids don't have the boundaries that adults do and run and hide! Thats my cats though, some cats i have met have been nasty. I'm no expert but i think cats who grow up in loving homes tend to be fine. You will probably get the odd scratch though especially when kittens as they do have sharp claws and are just playing. Just make sure you tell them NO loudly if they bite or scratch when they shouldnt, the loud change in tone usually stops them in their tracks, our cats definitely know that a loud NO means they have been naughty.

I wouldn't get any pet lightly but compared to dogs cats are an easier option in terms of care and they are great company and can be lots of fun too!

Cats are fab pets, i have 3 and we live together in harmony and they are no bother.

I have two cats as of a couple of days ago and they are indoor cats so use a litter tray. I am planning to get the female neutered then both will be introduce to the great outdoors but for now I have to wear rubber gloves to do their litter tray as I'm pregnant. So far I find them to be great pets :D

Personally I wouldn't get a cat right now but it's personal choice. Pregnant women areadvised against cleaning cat litter tray incase you contract toxoplsmosis but as I understand it you could also get it through a cat scratch. I'vehad a few cats over the years and they're not really a dog substitute, I'd def recommend if you do get a cat to get a male and haveit neutered to prevent spraying and territorial behaviour. Male cats are far more affectionate in my experience.

I desperately want a puppy but know it's not realistic right now, poor thing would be totally neglected for a while when bambino arrives but we have a housebunny now instead (the low maintenance alternative) which is brilliant. No worries about it sleeping in cot or scratching baby etc and really cheap to keep.

Good luck whatever you decide

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back