Things to get before / after birth

TommyMonkey

Reaction score
I'm trying to get together a list of things we'll need before and after the baby is born.
We've got a moses basket and plan on getting a cotbed. Do you think we should get this before the baby comes or can it wait?

Thanks in advance
Gemma x

you neec your moses basket in advance as you dont know when the babys guna turn up but the cot can wait till there grown out of moses basket.
Hope that helps and saves you some money for a bit longer.

you will need ya moses basket before baby comes and then ya can get cot when babys out grown moses basket .

/\ what they said!

also, i think pram/car seat/travelsystem is a must. and a supply of clothes/nappies etc.

My husbands family are really excited (first grandchaild niece/nephew) and have very kindly offered to but us some essentials. They have asked for a list of what we want (I know - I'm really lucky). As they live a long way away and we've also decided not to find out the sex I'm trying to give some extra info on the list (such as whether it would be needed before or after the baby is born). I know Paul's mum and dad will visit us straight away so they could bring down the cotbed and put it up whilst we're getting to know the baby.

This is what we've got so far:
Cotbed bumper set (cream)
Moses basket & stand
Moses basket mattress
Moses basket fitted sheets X 2 - cream
Travel system - pushchair, carseat, changing bag, footmuff, raincover
Sleeping bag
Travelcot
Plus my mum's knitted a really beautiful shawl/blanket

The list I've 'yet to get' is (not expecting to get all this as gifts - just trying to give them a choice - we'll get whatever is left):
Cotbed before or after birth
Cotbed mattress before or after birth
Cotbed fitted sheets before or after birth
Cotbed flat sheets before or after birth
Cotbed blankets before or after birth
Moses basket flat sheets before birth
Moses basket blankets before birth
Six sleepsuits/long sleeved suits before birth
Six vests/ short sleeved suits before birth
Two cardigans/ jackets before birth
Shawl or snow suit before birth
Hat, mittens and bootees before birth
Changing mat before birth
Nappies before birth
Self sterlising bottle before birth
Nursing bra and breast pads (won't put this on the list!!)
Loads of bibs
Loads of towels/ flannels/ muslin squares (for bathing and dribbles!)
Loads of kitchen roll and cotton wool pads
Brush and comb
Baby monitor
Nappy wrapper
Breast pump - after birth (not sure yet whether I want electric or hand)
Bath set (top and tail, bath) before birth
Bathing stuff - flannels, towels, cuddlerobes - before birth
Bouncy chair - before or after birth
Sling before or after birth
Baby carrier before or after birth

Sorry for massive post - thanks - Gemma xx

personally wouldn't bother with top and tail set...mine was a gift and it has breast pads stored in it.

My LO grew out of his moses basket at 7 weeks so it may not be long afterwards you need the cotbed

I'd say fitted sheets are the best both for moses basket and cotbed. Mine have saved a lot of late night swearing during the inevitable bed changing episodes :wink:

And I'd agree with the top and tail thing. Could never understand it, use one bowl and just wash their face FIRST surely :think:

I would just make sure that before the birth you have

Bibs
Sleepsuits
Vests
Hat
Mittens
Nappies
Nappy bags
Cotton wool
Moses basket with stand and sheets
Blankets
All in one coat(if it will be cold)
Bouncy Chair
Breast pads(I found Boots slim individually wrapped pads to be the best)
Meternity pads
Baby monitors(the BT Digital ones are great and cheaper on e bay)
Baby nail scissors
Baby shampoo
Nappy cream
Pram
Car seat
Breast pump with bottles( I had the Avent manual which was good)
Dummies (They are good to have just incase)
Thermometer(I have a grobag egg)
Towels
Nursing bras(get measured a couple of weeks before your due date)
Tops that give easy access to your boobs

I would also advise getting a grobag as this way your baby can't kick the covers off overnight and can't go underneath the covers. They can be used from about 7-10lbs I think. I bought two new ones from e bay for about a tenner each but if you do get one make sure you get the correct tog for your room temp. The link to the official grobag website is below for information on them.

www.bumpto3.co.uk

I personally wouldn't get a top and tail bowl just use a normal bowl and wash face first then bum. I also wouldn't buy a baby bath I would just buy a bath support that goes in the normal bath(like in the link below. At first you could even bath the baby in the sink.

http://www.mothercare.com/gp/product/B0 ... 1&mcb=core

When Jake was born most people bought me outfits as I hadn't bought any before because I didn't know tha baby's sex. I also had baby shop vouchers as a present which was fab as I love shopping and I especially love shopping without having to spend my own money.

Two things come to mind as things we didn't get before the birth which we now couldn't live without are a changing bag and baby carrier/sling :)

Have fun buying all your LO's bits and bobs :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
candigrams
Back