The GTT from HELL!

mags

Reaction score
Went for my GTT this morning at King George's Hospital, Ilford. Of course no one would give me a seat on the bus, so I had to stand all the way (20 min. ride) as the usually double decker bus decided to be a single decker today-- packed with college kids, just to add a nice touch to my day from hell. Get there at 9am and am told to pick a number and the nurse will call me in for my first blood test of the day. So I'm sitting there for about 10 mins, and the wicked witch calls me in and I sit down. She literally barks at me 'Where's your slip?! I need your slip.' And I'm like 'What slip?' --No one told me ANYTHING about handing her a bloody slip, so I start leafing through my folder of notes, trying to find the f-ing thing and She yells 'I can't do anything with THAT, I need the slip. OH, GIVE IT HERE..!' and she proceeds to rip it out of my hand! She finally finds my blood work chart and says loudly, for the benefit of the other nurse 'She's got the slip, but she wants ME to take it out of her folder!' :evil: So, then she sticks me three times as she couldn't get any blood out (no wonder, I was so tense!) and now my arm is every shade of purple you can imagine! She then gives me two cups of sugar water to drink (foul!) and I sipped it slowly as I didn't want to be sick (having fasted for 12 hrs) and she kept asking me in a nasty tone 'YOU DONE YET?' :x My instructions were then to sit in the baking hot and very crowded waiting room for 2 hours in straight backed chairs. WhenI had my DD in 2004, I was living in York and during my GTT I got a nice 'day room' to sit around in with reclining chairs, and a tv set! ANYWAY, I had to get some fresh air and I literally had to run out the door as I knew I was going to be sick! Up it came. They wouldn't let me drink again as the tests wouldn't be accurate, apparently. So I got sent home and was told I get to repeat this lovely episode next Wednesday! :roll: Is it even necessary?! The whole experience (the tension, the stuffiness in that place, etc) made me more ill than I've ever felt in pregnancy so far. :puke: I'm writing a letter to the hospital to complain about that bitch too.

Thanks for listening, ladies... :hug:

awww sounded awful
i have mine on 22nd october :(
:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

sounds blooming terrible.

I haven't been told if I'm having one or not. And I'm not sure I'll be asking either! :shhh:

I think i might have punched her really hard on the nose lmao thats one way to extract blood! :twisted: silly woman, dont blame you for making a complaint she sounds like a right battleaxe!

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

poppy160 said:
:oops: What's a GTT?? It sounds scary..
glucose tolerance test
its to test for gestational diabetes :(

I haven't been informed of that..I think my BMI is 24..I don't blame Mags for wanting to complain about that mean nurse, if it were me I would have cried! :(

I had it at 12 weeks, which was just fab cos it coincided nicely with my severe morning sickness, so I literally retched the whole way in the car, on the 7 am drive to the hospital as my stomach was so horribly empty! I also did the 2 hour waiting (mostly in the toilet retching away as poor worried hubby patted my face with damp cloths.). I was knackered and thought I was dying. I never want to repeat that whole experience again for as long as I live, it was worse than when I caught salmonella food poisoning! :cry: :cry:

write and complain- she sounds like a right wench :evil:

what a horrible experience for you hon :hug: you should definitely complain! i hope it goes a damn sight better next week xx

:hug: Thanks for your replies, girls. It was awful, and I just don't understand why they can't do a regular prick of the finger test to check my blood sugar. Can someone enlighten me?

why did i read this post , this is what im worried about tomorrow and ive got nooone to come with me :cry: and if i have a night like last night im not even going bother !

really scared now :cry:

Awww you poor thing :shock: I dont blame you for writing a complaint letter! I would do the same, id also print off a second copy and give it straight to her or reception to pass directly to her, then she can crap herself in the meantime as to what may come of it :twisted: Cheeky cow. Im so moody at the moment i could take anyone on! Honestly i diddnt realise i had so much back bone until now during pregnancy, im usually the quite one and would cry at anything but the last 3 weeks or so i seem to have more balls than my OH :rotfl:

Hope your arm gets back to normal.

Tiggy xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back