the cold, advice needed

JoAnn&Aimee

Reaction score
Ewan and I both had the cold badly last week and I feared Aimee would catch it. As we are starting to get over it it appears that Aimee has it now. Her nose is slightly blocked, she is making 'snorting' noises when lying down. Her temperature is normal, she is feeding well. I phoned my doctors last night and they just advised that I gently wipe the mucus out her nose and put a thin layer of vaseline around her nose to prevent it getting sore.

I've done all this but I can't help feeling I should be doing more for her. I know I can't give her anything like calpol as she is still too young for it but surely there must be something else I can do to soothe her. I was up all night with her last night and whenever she went to sleep in my arms the second I put her in her basket she'd 'snort' and wake up crying again. :( It is actually breaking my heart to see her this way.

Any advice you can give would be very much appreciated!

It's hard because she is so young. All you can do is make sure she is drinking plenty and keep her proped up. As long as she is taking half her usual feeds, not dehydrated or has a temp, then she will be just fine. We used a nasal aspiriator (sp) :oops: when our wee man had his first cold at about he same age.

My DS has a terrible cold just now so I know how you are feeling. :hug: :hug: :hug:

You can give some drops called "normal saline nasal drops" which act as a decongestant, and these are suitable from birth. Available from pharmacies.
You could also try raising the head end of the cot/moses basket and that can help your LO breathe easier too.

Get well soon Aimee :hug:

Galen snorted a lot in the first few weeks. His wasn't a cold though. Just the normal snorting babies do when so small. Use to wake me in the night with them :lol: Might be that she is doing this and its not actually a cold?

LO had a cold when she was 8 weeks just after her injections. There was very little she could have, but when she had her bath, I filled the basin with hot water with some drops of eucalyptus oil in to make the bathroom steamy, and I think this helped.
MV aso recommended tickling the end of her nose with cotton wool to make her sneeze to clear her nose.

OopsyDaisy said:
You can give some drops called "normal saline nasal drops" which act as a decongestant, and these are suitable from birth. Available from pharmacies.
You could also try raising the head end of the cot/moses basket and that can help your LO breathe easier too.

Get well soon Aimee :hug:

oooooh, you read my mind.

OopsyDaisy said:
You can give some drops called "normal saline nasal drops"
I had the same problem with Calum last week, he didnt have temp or anything else wrong but was just snorting and it didnt seem that nice, i used these drops and it works fab.

Jollypops said:
OopsyDaisy said:
You can give some drops called "normal saline nasal drops"
I had the same problem with Calum last week, he didnt have temp or anything else wrong but was just snorting and it didnt seem that nice, i used these drops and it works fab.

I tried the nasal drops and they've worked. She was struggling to breath last night and within minutes of putting the drops in she was breathing much easier. She is doing much better now but still a bit choked up. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back