TFA'S

lainey

Reaction score
Was at the Fertility Clinic today, Basically a check up and lecture type of appointment along with a health check.

However I felt I should share some of the information I was told today, as 1 subject in particular I never even knew about.

My doc was asking about my diet, and infact he was quite pleased with it!!! But he still gave me a lecture as he said some of the items I was having as 1 a week treats... were actually causing me harm.

I dont know if you have heard of Trans-Fatty-Acids (TFA'S), they have hit the headlines recently. However it has now been scientifically proven that there is a link with TFA's and infertility. Which explains why over the last 2 decades there have been more infertility cases reported than ever before.

Many foods contain TFA's and they come under different names, "hydrogenated" is a common give a way.

However if a woman has more than 1/2 a tea spoon of TFA's a day they are twice as likely to become infertile.

At the moment scientists are still trying to find the exact problem TFA's cause but TFA's Cause Heart Disease and stop the ovaries working properly by the same blocking method as Heart Disease.

My Doctor advised me while TTC I should AVOID ALL foods containing TFA's.

I have compiled a little list of common foods we all indulge in as treats....

Microwaved Popcorn
Donuts (1 Donut contains exactly 1/2 a spoon of TFA'S!!!!
Certain Margarines
Fast Food OUtlet Fries (Due to the types of Vegetable Oils they are using)
Microwavable Meals
Foods using Hyrogenated Vegetable Oils -
ALot of canned foods using oil as a preservative.

THE SCIENCE BIT :rotfl:
Before the invention of trans fatty acids, we cooked food with lard, palm oil or butter etc which are high in saturated fat. Researchers found that saturated fat increases Bad cholesterol which may increase the risk of heart disease . manufacturers started to use the healthier vegetable oils in their food production. As liquid vegetable oils are not stable to heat and can go rancid easily, scientists began to "hydrogenate" liquid oils so that they can withstand better in food production process and provide a better shelf life. As a result of hydrogenation, trans fatty acids are formed.

Freaked me out a bit, as even though I changed my diet over a year and a half ago when i started TTC, I do treat myself to a mcdonalds every few weeks, or things like cakes with a cup of tea.

i eat alot of micro meals :oops: special when huby on lates and its ust me to cook for :oops:

Dont worry i eat prob one a week too... ....

But my downfall is i have about 1 cake every 2nd-3rd day :oops:

ooooo.....how interesting, looks like i gonna have to sort through my cupboards!!

Thats really interesting :D I guess I'll have to pass on the donuts :(

:shock: Wow that's very interesting. I'm gonna be checking the labels of everything even more now.

I ate 2 donuts today :shock:

Great information...I am going to go and read some more!!

Blimey! :shock:

Im gonna have to do a serious check and rethink of my diet :wall:

Thanks for sharing that info, its really helpful :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111