Tens machine..

abcd1234

Reaction score
Is it meant to feel like your being electrocuted??? :shock:

Mine just arrived so i was playing around, bought it off ebay so gotta be sure it works, put them on my wrist (as per diagram for wrist pain) turned it on and felt like being electrocutted!!! I'm tempted to try it on my back later lol see how that feels!!

I wonder if it'll help with my new back pain, agh well i know it'll get good usage cos my dad can use it on his back too, didnt realise just how much you can use it for!!!

I don't know exactly. I've read up on them. Its meant to detract from the contractions each time so I guess it'd have to be noticeable.

Is your one for other things than labour also? I wasn't aware they labour ones could be used elsewhere on the body (not enough pads or something).

Some are not meant to be used in pregnancy or labour is the thing. There are special labour ones. Must go see if they are designed for use outside of labour also. Might be worth getting on if that is the case :think:

it's got a section on use in labour as well and it's from blooming marvelous, its got 4 pads on it, and the lady i bought it off used it in labour.

I didnt realise it could be used for other things either, but at least this way it can get some proper usage rather then just being used once by me then put bk on ebay.

I haven't got one but I don't think you are supposed to use them if you're not in labour! :?

abcd1234 said:
I wonder if it'll help with my new back pain, agh well i know it'll get good usage cos my dad can use it on his back too, didnt realise just how much you can use it for!!!

My reading tells me you should not use it on back pain before a certain time when PG

Can I use the TENS machine for backache?

You can use the TENS machine for back ache once you have reached 37 weeks in your pregnancy. Before this time you must check with your midwife.

No idea why, but might be best to check with MW first. I've not heard of anyone using one outside of labour in pregnancy tbh, but maybe some ladies here have done so and can shed some light for you.

agh thats ok, tbh my back hasnt really been playing up much, looks like my dads got it all to himself for a while then lol.

Im glad you looked that up, i had wondered if the "electrocution" might not be ok for her

Initial question: Are there any cardiological contraindications to using a TENS machine for pain? In particular, can patients with atrial fibrillation, and patients with pacemakers, use them safely?

Answer:
eMedicine has a chapter on Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation [1], this reports the following contraindications:

“ - TENS should not be used in patients with a pacemaker (especially of the demand type).
- TENS should not be used during pregnancy because it may induce premature labor.
- TENS should not be applied over the carotid sinuses due to the risk of acute hypotension through a vasovagal reflex.
- TENS should not be placed over the anterior neck because of possible laryngospasm due to laryngeal muscle contraction.
- The electrodes should not be placed in an area of sensory impairment (eg, in cases of nerve lesions, neuropathies), where the possibility of burns exists.
- A TENS unit should be used cautiously in patients with a spinal cord stimulator or intrathecal pump.”

inforabumpyride said:
Initial question: Are there any cardiological contraindications to using a TENS machine for pain? In particular, can patients with atrial fibrillation, and patients with pacemakers, use them safely?

Answer:
eMedicine has a chapter on Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation [1], this reports the following contraindications:

- TENS should not be used during pregnancy because it may induce premature labor.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

OK that'll do it for me then.

lol yeah my mates just looked it up too and come back sayin the same thing! I'm eager to meet her but not that eager so i'll stay away from the tens for now!!

I'll have to find another guinea pig to use it on

You shouldn't be trying it yet.

You can try it on your arm to see what it's like briefly after 37 weeks but you can't actively use it for anything until labour - I want to use mine because of severe hip and pelvis pain but have been told a resounding no by the midwife :(

It is great that you can use them for other things. The ones that are suitable for other things are not suitable for labour so we get 2 for the price of 1 :D

Mine is variable and the instructions say that you should only have it on enough to feel it a little and turn it up bit by bit as it gets less effective.

At an antenatal class they said it acts in the same way that rubbing a sore bit does - when you bash your arm for example. But with electricity instead of pressure.

I've heard that the best thing about the TENs is that pressing the button distracts you from the pain of the contraction! :lol: :lol:

It should be ok, i only had it on for litterally a second, it scared the crap outta me so much!! I think i turned it up a little high!!

It's good to know i can use it after though, not great you gotta wait though especailly if your in pain!

inforabumpyride said:
I've heard that the best thing about the TENs is that pressing the button distracts you from the pain of the contraction! :lol: :lol:

I'll try anything!!! I'd like to do it as naturally as possible so me and rasberry leaf tea are going to become friends, along with the massage, and i'll be trying my tens too!! Knowing me i'll end up with an epi still but at least i'll have tried!!

Also the reading the instructions, working out how to get the batteries in and how to switch it on gives you something to occupy you in early labour :lol: took me ages to work out how to use mine :lol: - only used it with the first as didnt get time in subsequent labours. I had prom and a slow labour at 37 weeks which finally needed boosting with a drip. For the first 24 hours I used my Tens until I got to about 4cm adn was taken to the delivery suite for extra pain relief - it then became apparent that I had turned my tens up so high I was needing gas and air for the pain the tens was giving me rather than the contraction :lol: (gas and air does tend to make you a bit confused :lol:) so the MW took the tens away from me and I coped a lot better for a while.

My midwife told me you could practice using the tens machine when you get back pain from about 37 weeks onwards.
I haven't tried mine yet, should do really cos there's been several occassions where I've had backache and it might have helped.

Does anyone know if it's easy to put the pads on your back yourself? Or do you really need someone else to help?
The one I've got I borrowed from the midwife, I think it's quite an old one. The instructions look quite complicated!

I think the pads look like they'd be a lot easier to place with help - you'd twist to put them on and then they'd be at odd angles and possibly in the wrong place.

Something I noticed on my instructions: apparently the pads can dry up during prolonged use, which presumably makes them fall off or something. It says if they get dry to switch it off, unplug the wires, put a little water on then reattach wires and switch on. I've passed responsibility for remembering about this to OH as I'll have other things on my mind :rotfl:

I tried mine at 37 weeks and it definitely didn't bring on labour! The boots one actually recommends that you try it out beforehand because it's an odd sensation, a bit like an over-powered vibrator stuck to your back in 4 places! Be careful to turn it up gradually and start at the absolute lowest setting because the sensation is a bit much if not built up gradually.

I think you really do need someone to put the pads on for you because you have to be quite precise about where you put them - I had one pad too close to the shoulder blade at one point and it gave me a sore back.

As for it taking away the pain, well, it's like Sherlock says. It serves as more of a distraction and I found it didn't help me at all when things came on thick and fast. The last thing on my mind was which setting my TENS machine should be on! I do think it helped in early labour, though.

[quote="daftscotslass" it's an odd sensation, a bit like an over-powered vibrator stuck to your back in 4 places! [/quote]

:rotfl: :rotfl:

muppetmummy said:
My midwife told me you could practice using the tens machine when you get back pain from about 37 weeks onwards.
I haven't tried mine yet, should do really cos there's been several occassions where I've had backache and it might have helped.

Does anyone know if it's easy to put the pads on your back yourself? Or do you really need someone else to help?
The one I've got I borrowed from the midwife, I think it's quite an old one. The instructions look quite complicated!

I'd think you might need some help as they have to be in a certain place.

Also if you use them now make sure the pads will still be decent for when you need them in labour. Most seem to be able to be used a few times at least before replacing.

On the not using one yet thing - at my antenatal day class the midwives went round and put one on each lady there so we could feel what it was like!!! So it can't be that dangerous (though obviously it was on our arms and only for a minute or so)

xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back