TENS machine radio advert, confused!

JoAnn&Aimee

Reaction score
I've been hearing an advert on the radio for the TENS machine a lot. I was really considering buying it for when I go into labour as it has been highly reccommended but this advert has confused me. It says right at the end 'not suitable during pregnancy or labour'. :think: After hearing so much about how it was perfect for labour, why is the advert saying it isn't?

Hey, you get different types of TENS machines, i'm not sure what the difference is precisely but I know my MIL has one i thought i could borrow but it turns out its not suitable for use during labour.

I'm getting this one http://www.boots.com/shop/product_d...1067572&classificationid=1052068&slmRefer=000

with the 1000 points i figure i'm kinda saving a tenner on it!

And it's especially for labour purposes so it's definetely safe!
If you do buy one make sure to check it is labour safe!

P.S buying is probably better than hiring as hiring costs around £25!!
and you can always sell your on ebay once you've done with it!

Yup what Babybee said. There are different types of these on the market and only some are for labour.

Only use/buy the ones intended for labour purpose only. You can rent or buy :)

Thanks Babybee and Sherlock! I didn't realise there were different types. It was just as well as I probably would have bought the one unsuitable for labour! :doh:

:think: So what are the ones not suitable for labour used for?

mandspice said:
:think: So what are the ones not suitable for labour used for?

Pain relief, someone at work has leant me theirs for my back pain (I shall definitely check if it's pregnancy cuitable or not) but it has diagrams on where you should put the pads for different types of joint pain.

NickyB said:
Pain relief, someone at work has leant me theirs for my back pain (I shall definitely check if it's pregnancy cuitable or not) but it has diagrams on where you should put the pads for different types of joint pain.

This came up on 3rd tri today (IIRC it was today) and TENS machines should not be used for back pain before 37 weeks as apparently can induce labour. This was the pregnancy intended ones. Using them for back pain after 37 weeks was supposed to be ok.

Non pregnancy ones should be avoided when PG as I understand it.

Might just want to check out the 3rd tri thread on this :) And with your MW also before using one while PG.

Sherlock said:
NickyB said:

This came up on 3rd tri today (IIRC it was today) and TENS machines should not be used for back pain before 37 weeks as apparently can induce labour. This was the pregnancy intended ones. Using them for back pain after 37 weeks was supposed to be ok.

Might just want to check out the 3rd tri thread on this :) And with your MW also before using one while PG.

I love you for saying this, I knew in my gut it wouldn't be right to which is why it's still unopened. I will keep it long enough to check with my MW though. Thanks very much! :D

NickyB said:
Sherlock said:
NickyB said:

I love you for saying this, I knew in my gut it wouldn't be right to which is why it's still unopened. I will keep it long enough to check with my MW though. Thanks very much! :D

Found the thread on it here

http://www.pregnancyforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=73188

Have a read as it explains all in it somewhere :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back