Taking statin during pregnancy

rdee75

Reaction score
Hi

I'm 10 weeks pregnant and have been taking atorvastatin for a number of years to lower my cholesterol. My doctor seems to have over-looked this fact even though he knew we were ttc and continued to prescribe me them. We had our first midwife apointment a few days ago and she said we ought to check all medication with the pharmacist. It has now come to my attention that statins are a big no-no during pregnancy and can cause birth defects.

I will be going to my doctor first thing tomorrow to ask why he did not bring this to my attention.

Has anyone else been in my position and what was the outcome? My husband and I are worried sick and can't help but think it is all about to go wrong.

Thanks

Welcome to Pregnancy Forum :)

I don't know much about the use of statin during pregnancy but (as I'm sure you've read) it is thought that as cholesterol is important in early development it is advisable not to take it. There have been studies done on women who have been prescribed statin during the first trimester of pregnancy though, and no evidence was found of an increased risk of fetal anomalies - it's still terrible that your doctor didn't advise you that it shouldn't be taken, but I'm sure everything will be fine. Here's a link to the study by Ofori et al. in 2007: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2048566/

:wave: Welcome to the forum. :)

I have no idea about statins and pregnancy but I didnt want to read and run.

Thanks for the reply. There's so many contradicting articles out there, I'm just so confused. I just want to get hold of my doc tomorrow and get some tests done asap to put our mind to rest.

It seems there isn't all that much information out there because of the low numbers of cases available for study - and I assume different dosages and the way in which different statin treatments work means that some are more at risk than others. While it appears that some statins are associated with increased rates of certain anomalies it still seems as if the risk is quite low. I hope everything's ok - I'd certainly demand additional scans and tests to make sure :hug:

Hi and welcome, I don'r know anything about taking statins just wanted to say hi and congrats, and hope you get the answers you need.

Thanks Ladies. Will keep you all informed as it may help someone out in a similar predicament.

Thanks. Really hope everything turns out well for you :hug:

Hi :wave: just wanted to say that I think you should make an official complaint to your surgery practice manager about the doctor. They seem to get away with far too much where negligence is concerned. I hope everything works out for you :hug:

I agree with Rosie's mum - you should make a formal complaint really. It's not good enough.

dont panic wont do you or baby any good and no point panicking!!! the doc gave me other meds which are supposedly not supposed to be taken during preg and said that a lot of the warnings are more a precaution... do bring it to gp's attention just to be sure!! hope alls ok and u get reassurance xx

Hi Ladies

I've made a complaint to the Practice - they wrote back saying they'll respond in 14 days once they've been through the records (and made a list of excuses no doubt!!).

In the meantime, I've got my first scan tomorrow. Very anxious and excited all at the same time. Other than feeling very tired I have no symptons which is also giving me sleepless nights too just in case there's something wrong.

Re. taking statin - I won't know until the 20 week scan if there's been any damage as that's when baby's organs will have developed, etc. Until then it's just a case of the waiting game.....

I am trying to saty positive as I don't want my negative emotions to go to the baby. What a challenge!

x

Hi All

I started this thread off back in January when I was 10 weeks pregnant. Just wanted to update you and hopefully help others.....

I had my little girl in August and she is now 13 weeks old and is healthy and doing really well. It seems the statins did not effect my pregnancy but still I would urge other ladies to please be cautious when taking any medication.

x

Thank you rdee75 for the update - I know this is an old thread, but I am in the same situation as you were (currently 11 weeks pregnant) and it's been good to read such a positive outcome. I hope your daughter has continued to thrive and you enjoy every minute with her! Many thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kayx94
Back