Swine Flu Jab?

tania

Reaction score
Hi all

Just wondering if anyone has had the swine flu vaccination? They are recommending that I have it, but am in 2 minds. What do you all think?

T x

Hi guys, I had it but only because I was travelling long haul during my second trimester and planes are a breeding ground for viruses! My midwife said she wouldn't have it if it was her but I decided to follow the official line and neither bubs or I suffered any adverse effects. That said, as the pandemic is now over you have to think seriously now about whether you need it x

It's not been mentioned to me. Not sure what I would do if it was recommended though.

I asked my midwife about this at my 25 weeks appointment and she said it probably wouldn't be the swine flu jab but I'd be offered the normal flu jab by my doctors surgery. I haven't heard from them yet though.

I've got my 28 week appointment this week so will ask this midwife (it's a different one every time!) about the flu jab.

I have heard bad things about this years flu jab - making you ill etc.

Really don't know what to do!

They keep telling me they are expecting another epidemic of swine flu when winter comes, but I definitely don't want to have injections un-necessarily. Wonder if they are just scare mongering?? So hard to know whats best!

Kiwi I had the swine flu jab when I was around 8 weeks pregnant. I felt I should get it as I was at uni and lived in london...deffinatly higher risk I thought. Me and LO are fine and I didnt feel any side effects ect. I think if you feel you need it and are at a higher risk, could be worth getting for peace of mind :)

It's a tough one. I too was told they are expecting another pandemic of it. I am asthmatic so fall into a higher risk category. Just don't want to do anything that's gonna harm bubs but then i look at women who last year caught the swine flu while pregnant and ended up seriously ill. You just don't know what to do for the best.

swine flu is just another strain of the flu virus so i would have it if you would have the normal flu jab only because the risk of swine flu to the baby can have worse effects xx

I have been wondering about this for weeks as I work with the general public. I really dont know what to do for best. No doc or midwife have mentioned it to me. I also dont have the same midwife everytime its always a diff one I for some reason expected to have one that I got to know all the way through. x

It's not been mentioned to me, but I don't think I'd get it. We're pretty sure hubby had swine flu a while back and I didn't catch it sharing a bed with him, and also the side effects can be pretty nasty.

Kiwi I had the swine flu jab when I was around 8 weeks pregnant. I felt I should get it as I was at uni and lived in london...deffinatly higher risk I thought. Me and LO are fine and I didnt feel any side effects ect. I think if you feel you need it and are at a higher risk, could be worth getting for peace of mind :)

same here i had it early pregnancy during the first epidemic and i now have a normal baby...10 fingers 10 toes n all that!:lol:

Tania, I always thought I wouldn't get it BUT after talking to my dr and midwife, I thinks its good to get especially if you are due in the winter. They told me that the swine flu puts alot of strain on your lungs and heart which are already strained with pregnancy.

So it really can be a serious risk to you and the baby. It wasn't even that sore either, I don't know why I dreaded it so much! Pregnant women are at a higher risk of suffering from it so I think its worth while.

Last edited:
I had swine flu in the winter and was really ill so if vaccine is offered il take it. I always have the normal flu jab cos I had childhood asthma and worked in a residential home...wen I was pg wiv my youngest my gp gave me the jab,he'd been researching the benefits of the jab and ha said the benefits far outweigh the risks xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back