Swimming

zo75

Reaction score
Hello ladies, I was wondering if someone could help with this one. I have been trying to stay as fit as possible throughout my pregnancy and have carried on swimming as much as I always did (apart from when the exshaustion strikes!). I usually swim about 2ks all front crawl twice a week. I'm now 15 weeks and last night when started swimming it felt like it was pulling a bit across my tummy. Does anyone know if a particular stroke is recommended when swimming?

thanks in advance

zx

I had this too and wondered what it was. I must admit I just used it as an excuse to give up the exercise and sit on my arse all day!!

Sorry I can't help more...

Well I am only at the beginning stages, so I am pretty clueless about the 2nd trimester, but when I have been going swimming I have been quite twingy in the stomach for the rest of the evening. I only do breast stroke, but even that seems to be working my tummy muscles and me and the DH have put the twinging sensations down to the muscles settling down afterwards.

I did panic the first time though, as I thought I had harmed the baby.

We are told that swimming is 100% safe but I haven't read anywhere about how fast you can swim and what strokes you are allowed which is irritating so I am just doing a slow steady breaststroke until I hear any different.

I too am a bit of a fitness fanatic, so I like to find out as much about exercising in pregnancy as I can.

i heard that all strokes are safe, but its better just to do which one is more comfortable, you will probably find front crawl very difficult as you start growing, i know for sure i cant do it, well to be honest i feel like im just sinking now lol

good luck with the pregnancies ladies

Hi z,

I'm 15 weeks also and have recently started swimming to try and stay fit! I've found breast stroke the most comfortable and easy, I also like to do front crawl, but it feels like I'm really stretching my belly, and I ached quite a bit after, so stuck to breast stroke :)

I asked my midwife about this and she said it's perfectly safe to swim and also the best exercise to do, especially when we get bigger!

I hope this helps!

Emma
xx

thanks for all yoru replies ladies. Went for another big swim yesterday and tummy felt fine this time. I guess I'll just have to play it by ear and if it's uncomfortable I'll switch to a different stroke.

zx

hi, i go to aqaunatal everyweek and ive found that my stomach doesnt hurt anymore when it streches (everyday kinda stretches u get all through pregnancy) and i think this is because i stretch my stomach out while swimming because u cant over strech or starin ur muscles (generally!) in water. i get a long float thingy called a woggle and wrap it round me and lay on my stomach and just let my legs n bum float anad i can feel it pullin all the muscles in my tum but it feels nice coz i cant generally do that at any other time. see if there is a local aqaunatal in ur area i would strongly reccomend it. and for those of u from the uk find out if there is a surestart in ur area they will take u for free!! :D

When is it okie to start doing aquanate classes? I really want to start doing them but at 10 or 11 weeks is it worth it? Should I wait till I am in the second trimester?

im goin this morning to i'll ask the instructor for you! we have some women in our class who arent pregnant too but they have had babies and its really helped them get back into shape. its a good social thing to coz i dont get out much to meet other mums or mums to be. have you looked to see if there is a surestart in your area? that way you wont have to pay to go. i'll post later and let you know about when is a safe time to start xxx

Hi Sasha did u find out for me hun? I'm still quite tiered but I thought it would be nice gentle exercise? Maybe??? LOl I don't know what it entils! Wouldn't be planning on starting till I was roughly 13 or 14 weeks.

What's surestart? Isn't that just for younger mums?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back