Sweep worked for me - have had my baby

Bagpuss17

Reaction score
Well I had a sweep on Friday and it worked a treat. I had backache and felt discomfort low down in the pelvic area in the afternoon. Mid evening I noticed tightenings in the same area, low down in my pelvis but they weren't that much stronger than Braxton Hicks. However, they were coming every 10 minutes and got stronger through the night.

Then at 5am on Saturday they suddenly came at every 5/6 minutes. I had a bath and paracetamol but ended up phoning the labour ward as they were getting very painful. They advised me to get ready slowly and get down there. Got my tens machine on which was OK to an extent but they were still painful.

I still wasn't sure at this point whether it was just the sweep disturbing things and that things would tail off. They put me on the trace monitor for a bit but decided after a short while they would need to do an internal to know for sure whether I was in established labour or not.

At first she said, things are much the same as yesterday, you're only 1 cm!!!! The news I was dreading. But, I then had a contraction whilst she was still doing the examination, she stopped after I shouted at her - oops but as soon as it had passed she said let me have another feel. She said felt my cervix completely change at the start of the contraction, turns out I was 5cm! Hurrah. I had a shot of diamorphine and I used the gas and air, both worked a treat for me. I was able to relax and bear the pain much more.

The contractions kept on coming thick and fast though. DH was such a rock and made sure that I breathed deeply through each contraction. 2 hours later my waters popped, baby had done a poo but I was ready to push immediately so they were OK with that.

That's when the saga started. My contractions got weaker and baby kept going back up the birth canal. I ended up pushing for 2.5 hours, had to have another episiotome (had one with first baby) and ended up with 2 midwives and 2 doctors getting me into all kinds of positions to get baby out. What a sight. Had to have a ventouse but in a rather bizarre fashion as babys head had already crowned but between the doctor pulling and me pushing we finally got baby out. So bizarre, by the time it came to the pushing stage I wasn't in any pain. You're just waiting for the next contraction to get baby out.

It's a.....................................

GIRL!

Was so sure we were having another boy, we both had to look twice. I was looking for a willy :D

She was born at 11.47 am yesterday morning, after a quick labour just a shame the pushing took so long. I just can't seem to stretch enough to get my babies out even though they were both small.

She weighs 6lb 110z and we've called her Georgia Cerys. Her big brother is very smitten indeed with her.

We had a night in hospital last night so that they could observe Georgia as her temp was a bit low and with their being meconium in my waters. We got a room to ourselves so we were able to get some rest and I had lovely bonding time with her.

We're home now, totally in love with my gorgeous new daughter. Looking forward to being a family of four :D and doing lots of pink shopping! :D

Congratulations Bagpuss! :cheer:Enjoy shopping for all things pink! So glad we didn't go for a second scan now and are still team green, adds that little extra excitement for meeting LO!

Sarah x

Thanks girls and yes, I have to say finding out the sex of our baby ourselves was just the icing on the cake. There's nothing like it. You don't get any other surprises like that in life.

Just make sure the midwives know not to tell you the sex.

I kept staring at her lady bits for ages in disbelief. I felt the same with both pregnancies, in fact less nausea with Georgia, most people I talk to suffer more MS with girls. I carried the same way as well too and the 3D scan pics looked just like my son so in my mind I was convinced I was having a boy. Just goes to show.

Awww huge congratulations to you!!!! So glad the sweep worked for you. Lovely name by the way. Looking forward to seeing pics!

xx

Congratulations on your little girl Bagpuss :cheer: :hug:

I love the name and yay for pink shopping :D

Well done on the birth :cheer:

Congratulations hun and welcome to the world Georgia :D

Xxx

Massive congratulations! :dance: I think there are a few pink things in the shops which i havent bought yet...better be quick! :rotfl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back