• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Suddenly so scared. Sorry, a bit random

widowwadman

Reaction score
I just made the mistake to google childcare cost. I once had started a thread asking about it on here too, but my brain seems to have just put it all into a far away corner as it likes to do with worrysome stuff.

I'm getting worried. Really worried. How on earth are we ever going to be able to afford this? I know it's a bit late to realise this now. We decided to "see what happens" when it came to conceiving, telling ourselves that there's never a right time and other people manage, too, etc. but I feel a sudden bout of total existential angst. I know we earn too much to qualify for income support and I really wouldn't want that anyway, but doing the maths properly really really scares me. My boss and the HR director who I haven't had the chance to discuss arrangements with properly told me not to worry and I will be looked after. But I know that the only other woman in the group who had a child only got statutiory stuff so I can't expect anything more. I doubt it'll be overly clever or successful to ask for a payrise at the very moment (even though I think I would have a case from a workload etc point of view) so there's not much I can do.

I don't have any regrets or want this child any less, but I really could do with being less scared.

Hiya!
Yes childcare is really expensive I'm worried now that I will have 2 to pay for eeek!

You should check if you would qualify for the childcare element of tax credits this covers up to 85% of the cost but is income based and I think the threshold is too low! You can check if you qualify for any of the tax credits using the online form at

http://www.taxcredits.inlandrevenue.gov ... ehold.aspx

I get childcare vouchers through my employer, which is a scheme any employer can sign up to. Basically you sacrifice a set amount of your wage each pay day (up to £240ish per month) and in exchange receive this amount in electronic vouchers that you transfer to your childcare provider online - a bit like online banking. The way it works is that the amount you sacrifice you do not pay national insurance or tax on - it saves me approx £1000 per year! It somehow benefits your employer too but I can't remember how! :? It's a government run scheme and does not cost you or your employer anything check out;

http://www.childcarevouchers.co.uk/Pages/Default.aspx

I know it's a worry! I wish I could afford to stay at home but I wouldn't be able to afford to live! grrrrrrr!!! xx

Yep im in a similar money worrying place as you at the moment. Im in a 1 bed house so baby hasnt even got its own nursery, i have a high risk of my crohns flaring after pregnancy which may mean working is even more of an issue. My partner isnt on a great wage in comparisson to lots of people but is actually working so doesnt get the hand outs and all in all we will be skint.

In my opinion the system sucks.. If you are a couple and trying to bring up a family as a couple then you get very little help. If i went down the same lines as some people do and said we werent together i would be far better off.. im probably too honest for my own good but that will never change.

However, saying that you have to think that there are people out there who are worse off.. we realised we have a roof over our heads, we have a bit of space in our room for baby and we have the support of our family and friends that im sure wont let us go hungry. We will also be great parents to our little one and give it the love it needs.

Throw away the calculater and take each day as it comes. If you have a mortgage remember you maybe able to take a break and add it onto the end if things get too hard.. I very much doubt anyone out there will let you become homeless.

Claire x

Yeah I will be able to take a 6 month mortgage break which is great I don't know what I would do if I could have that!

Thats my back up plan if we cant pay the bills.. im sure we will all be fine.. i always think of how my parents lived (back in the old days) they had no heating, no tv, no holidays and really did struggle! Obviously things have changed since then (thank god) but its made me realise that certain things have got to be sacrificed.. my OH now has to get the bus to work (an hour ride away).. lol.. hes loving that one but its gonna save us money!

Claire x

Yeah you're so right Claire, my Mum always says it was real treat if they had £3 left to put petrol in the car and go for a drive out somewhere there are so many things we could cut down on really; sky TV, 2 cars, 2 mobiles and a house phone, broadband.....they never had all that!

I guess you're all right. We did a lot of maths during the night and we'll manage somehow. Others do. Don't think it'll be easy, but hey. Material things aren't that important.

Thanks for all your input.

YOu are right, material things dont matter one bit. As long as you have just enough to pay the bills, feed yourself and your LO, the rest will have to just work around it. Trust me, its taken me a while to realise this as i so wanted a nice new house with a nursery but hey.. you cant have everything! YOu never know, one day we may all win the lottery!

Claire x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnastasiaKh
Back