Student midwives

x-kirsty-x

Reaction score
When I was in hospital yesterday they asked me if I wanted to volunteer for when the students do their exams on Friday.

I have to answer their questions then let them feel my bump and I get a tenner :cheer:

One of the students had a practice yesterday and felt my bump, she was so nervous bless her.

I really admire people who train to be midwives, it must be such a rewarding job :)

well the tenner is always nice.

I always let the student m/wives in the have always been really keen and intrested.

My friends sister is just at the end of her first year of training and everytime I see her i let her examine me.

Ive always thought that being a midwife would be a really rewarding job, I had a student at one of my antenatals and she was just as good as the qualified midwife that was with her.

x-kirsty-x said:
When I was in hospital yesterday they asked me if I wanted to volunteer for when the students do their exams on Friday.

I have to answer their questions then let them feel my bump and I get a tenner :cheer:

One of the students had a practice yesterday and felt my bump, she was so nervous bless her.

I really admire people who train to be midwives, it must be such a rewarding job :)

oh hunni i had one.. and it was not nice, she was pleasant but didn't really ask me any questions... she then felt my bump and couldn't feel my baby :wall: and when she used the Doppler was not using it right :wall: even those i could hear her heart beat

if i get one again i'm saying i don't think so :lol:

neeko_1 said:
[quote="x-kirsty-x":1rxb9n7o]When I was in hospital yesterday they asked me if I wanted to volunteer for when the students do their exams on Friday.

oh hunni i had one.. and it was not nice, she was pleasant but didn't really ask me any questions... she then felt my bump and couldn't feel my baby :wall: and when she used the Doppler was not using it right :wall: even those i could hear her heart beat

if i get one again i'm saying i don't think so :lol:[/quote:1rxb9n7o]

Aww hun, unfortunately to learn they have to practice on real women so theres always gonna be times when they get it wrong. Half the time they're probably just really nervous.

I dont mind them being there as long as they're supervised :)

a student midwife delivered my 1st, she was a bit nervous but she did fine bless her

i'll definately welcome students. when my girl friend had her baby last year her midwife told her that the student who was there had been planning to give it up, but after it she'd found it refreshing and changed her mind. i thought that was sweet i'd feel rather good if LO and i helped someone stick at their ambition!

yeah atudent midwife delivered hope and she was amazing :D

There's a student MW who works with my MW and I've said I'd be happy to have her at our homebirth, think it will be nice for her to see how we birth our son, and anything to help more MW get home birth experience, not to mention hypnobirthing experience :cheer:

I agree that student mw's should be welcomed...my friend is a mw and she had to learn from somewhere - she found most people embraced the fact that she was learning.

Also a good point to remember is that they will be accompanied by one of the best mw's, as they will be still officially under training.

Just want to say thanks Kirsty! I am a student midwife and if it weren't for people like you we would never learn, we are always supervised and are taught that if we are not sure of anything to ask. It can be really nerve racking being a student but the more practice we have the better we will be able to look after women in the future :)

Aww Ellie that's lovely...good luck with your studies, I hope to train after having my baby (well when he's settled at school so maybe 5 or so years from now...hope I'm not too old by then!).

Our hospital is a university training hospital so they always have students around and ask if you mind.

I never mind. I mean how are these people meant to learn.

They are always supervised anyway and we can't complain about crap lack of care if we don't volunteer to let people learn.

Thats why i took part in the study i am doing about nutrition and pregancy and stuff. Its all about research and it all helps.

As i happens i got to have 4 scans with them so i happy. But i did it years ago before i even thought about getting pregnant, lol!

Laura
xxx

I had a student mw with me when I had my first - she stayed with me even when the shifts changed (my OH was in the FAlklands so she became my birthing partner) It was the first time she had internally examined anyone and she did ok - It helped me to know I wasn't the only one there who didn;t really know what was going on and I didn't feel stupid asking questions as I figured she would be learning too!
Poor lass spent a lot of time rubbing my back and pouring me water but I couldn't have done it with out her!!

If anyone ever has a baby at West Suffolk Hospital in Bury St. Edmunds and the student MW is a Fiona Kerry - you're in good hands!! :)
Wish I hadn't moved away from the area so quick due to hubby's job to be able to say Thanks to her!!

Hi,

I gave birth to a baby girl on the 20th March this year and she was delivered by a student midwive. I couldn't have asked for a better delivery and the student was very good and talked me through the labour and delivery. The delivery was quick and stress free. I had an epidural and she told me to push and when to hold back so I only had a small tear which was good considering Lily was 8lb 11oz :shock: .

I wouldn't be put off having a student at the birth if I get the chance again.

Bye for now,
Sally

I had a student midwife present at the birth of my ds2. He was born at home, and the mw in charge said that the student could go home at the end of her shift or stay to see it through. She stayed, and she was lovely. She had already said that she had a night out planned, but was willing to give it up because that was her first birth!!

She didn't examine me at all (but then neither did the mw), she did listen to the heartbeat a couple of times, and she even guessed the correct time he would be born - 10pm. We all thought he would arrive hours earlier, but he was a bit stubborn.

Anyway, I didn't think it was a problem at all. It was lovely to be able to help someone achieve their career aim. I'd definitely say yes if I was asked again.

Heather x

Nicola said:
Aww Ellie that's lovely...good luck with your studies, I hope to train after having my baby (well when he's settled at school so maybe 5 or so years from now...hope I'm not too old by then!).
Youre never too old!!

It's lovely to hear so many poitive stories, I know sometimes people have an image of students being a massive group of people in white coats, but it's not normally like that!!!

When I was in hosp before christmas. I actually preferred the student m/w's looking after me. Things weren't so routine for them and they had more time than the m/w's .They also were a wealth of information.

Its now on my Birthplan Student midwives welcome.

Hi

I would let one examine me ect. I dont have a mw but i would feel the same with a doctor. When i was pregnant with Kiara i had two student nurses watch evereything and also examine me ect .
Katrina

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshatflare
Back