Stressing about dates

bethanyann

Reaction score
So since my scan, I've spent a HUGE amount of time stressing about my dates. There is literally just ONE date that our baby could have been concieved. We were both unwell that month, and hub was working away so there is absolutely no chance that I ovulated late or anything, because we didn't have sex from night baby was conceived until weeks after I found out I was pregnant. By my dates I'm 13weeks tomo, but my scan said I am 11+1weeks today. I asked the doctor about it and he said sperm can only survive 24 hours - so at most I could be 1 day out. But he refused to change my dates and said there is no way that I am any further on than the 10+6 I was dated at, at the scan. I'm sooooooo confused, and so worried because 1. According to their dates I'm still in high risk period for two weeks 2. At the end of the pregnancy, I don't want to go really over my due date. I've worked out my dates from conception so many times today, and every time it confirms I'm 13weeks tomo. Urgh. Has anyone else had this happen? Am I being stupid to be so worried?

They only give a date based on the average length of the average baby at an average age. So my guess would be that you're right about your dates (obv), and you just have an ickle baby in there that hasn't had a growth spurt just yet. Maybe by the time you have your 20 week, all the medical professionals might agree with you?
Other than that, I dunno :)
Can see why you'd be stressed though, I would be too xxx

I can understand you stressing , sorry you have to do a few more days of the 12 week bit.

Well you know your dates and so you can just be prepared to go into labour from 38 weeks onwards, and if those are you dates, then baby cannot be 4 weeks over due without coming out x

according to my old gyne sperms can live for 4 or 5 days depending on there conditon and it can take a few days for egg to travel an implant see what happens at your next scan and try not to worry easy said i know babys come when they are ready

Hi Hun don't worry I have 4 friends who have had exactly the same thing happen. I was met my midwife the other day and asked her about this very thing. She basically said that new legislation came in about august last year and how 'amazingly highly technical and how well trained sonographers are means that these machines and people could never ever be wrong' she then added basically the NHS have spent so much money on this they have to be seen to have unquestionable faith in dating scans. She said she sees so many women who have literally done the deed once that month so know exactly when conceived yet she has to go by scan dates for her job, but her personal opinion is that it's rubbish. Isn't it bizarre since they've stopped taking the womens own dates so many babies are being born 41+ ?

Thanks so much everyone, I feel a little bit better about it all now. It's so frustraiting that they only go by the scan dates, I'm sure they are usually brilliant - but it seems stupid that they stick to it SO much. Never mind, like some of you said - bub will come when s/he's ready, and it's less than a week til i'm 12weeks by their dates too, so could be worse! Fingers crossed that 20 week scan will line up with my dates more!!!! :) xxx

I said to the doctor that there was only one night to that it could have happened but he assured me that sperm can live from 7 - 9 days in a healthy womb!! so it could have happened after that one night!!

also the baby will come when it wants to come and scans are not that spot on (in my experiance0 my daughter was born 6 weeks early and weighed a healthy 6lbs, but whn I had a scan on the Monday cause the docter was concerned I was so small the scan showed she was only 4lbs and she was born on the wed at 6lbs, so dont worry to much xx

Ah bless they are all different in so many ways. My son was 7 weeks prem and only just 3lb. They come when they are ready weighing whatever they feel like lol. My friend gave birth to a 12lb 4oz whopper and he was 2.5 weeks early! xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back