Strep B test

SarahJJ

Reaction score
Is anyone having / or had the strep B test? I didn't even know about this with my last 2 babies but that was a few years ago. Since a friend of mine mentioned it to me a few months back it has been on my mind and I asked my midwife last week and she said you buy the kit and she can do the test for me at my 37 week midwife appt check. They don't recommrd it nor do they discourage it. They just wait until you mention it. I was just wondering if anyone else has had it done or is thinking of doing so?? I've not seen any comments or postings about it.
Thanks

I was Strep B positive when i had DD and passed it on to her, ( i never knew what is was let alone whether i had it :? ) She was very poorly in SCBU for a week :cry: This time i am having a section so guess the risk is much lower, but they will probably put me on antibiotics as a precautionary measure.

Hiya sabrina, where can you buy ther kit from? I never heard of it with my last child but theres so much on it now im like you and would rather be safe then sorry. So if i can get a kit i will do so.

My friend had got one from the internet an was going to have it done but went into labour he following day so never needed it, so she has passed it onto me. I'm taking it with me when I go and see the midwife. I have looked on the net about this though, and if you google 'strep b test' UK sites theres a few sites that you can order it from. It costs 30-odd quid. I think safe than sorry is a good way to look at it, although there is no end to worrying is there!!??

Im going to get it done as id rarther me and my baby were safe rather then sorry!

I didn't have a special Strep B test done but when I had a Urine infection a month ago they did it as part of the extra analysis. They found I was Strep D (not B) positive. Strep D isn't so problematic but it is the same family of bacteria so my consultant said I'll be on anti-biotics during labour "just in case" the baby should get it.

They don't routinely check for it in my area. I guess I was just lucky it was picked up when it was. :?

They dont rourinely check for group b strrep at all according to all the pregnancy mags, i was quite shocked by that.
But mother and baby are going to campaign so everyone can have the group b strep trest done routinely and in any area.So theres news for the future :dance:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back