• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Straining???

Roo3

Reaction score
Sorry, it's me again! All I seem to do at the moment is ask questions in here!

Jake is normally quite a good sleeper at night time and normally sleeps for 3-4 hours between feeds at night. We are bottle feeding him Aptamil.

The past couple of nights, he has gone down to sleep relatively easily and slept for his normal length but after I've fed him he starts straining and making grunting noises. I normally hold him till he's dropped off to sleep then pop him back in his crib but then he spends the next few hours alternating between grunting, straining and sleeping. It's the same when OH gets up to do the next feed too.

He's so noisy it's making it near impossible to sleep in between feeds. I don't think he's trying to do a poo as he only normally does 1 a day and thats in the mornings.

I just don't understand why he's doing it and what I can do to help him stop doing it so we all get a better nights sleep.

Thanks!

Charley used to do that. I thought it was wind so used to get him back out his cot to wind him again then put him back down but he'd carry on grunting. I don't know what it was but he grew out of it x x

my lo was on aptamil after i stopped bf and he got REALLLY constipated and used to grunt all the time, it got so bad that he used to scream with pain. does it sound like your lo is in pain or is he ok?? we we're in italy at the time and they prescribed us a "pareta",..... i dont know how u say in english.. like liquid in a tube that you squeeze up his bum (horrible horrible i hated it) and that made him poo. as soon as we moved to the uk i changed his formula and he poos like a trooper now! maybe cooled boiled water inbetween feeds could help him?? oh and we used to massage his belly in the bath which he liked and helped ease the constipation. good luck hun xx

I dont think hes in pain so hopefully he doesnt have the same as your LO. We try burping him again and again but a lot of the time he doesnt pass any wind. Hope its something he'll grow out of quickly. HV is coming tomorrow so i'll ask her about it then.

Hey,,,
This is exactly what my Lo used to do.
Oh my god it was all night grunting, groaning, straining, but he used to vomit after feeds as-well!! It was so loud i had to put him in his own room at around six weeks old, as i could just not sleep with all the racquet going on!!!
I spoke to the hv and drs on numerous occasions but i didnt get any answers, well the only answer i got was the fact that he was premature and its normal for all the noise with premmies. Was your little one premature??
I eventually took him of his prescription milk and went onto apamil, and since then the vomiting has stopped the noises did eventually stop but looking back i think he just grow out of all the noises!!!
I posted a similar question to this in the prem baby section a while ago.
Im not sure this is much help, but i know exactly where you are coming from, and all i can say is that it does eventually stop chick xxxxx

Thanks Don-Don.
No, Jake was born at 40+1 so I guess that rules that theory out!! I'll talk to my HV about it tomorrow if it carries on tonight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clark Gracen
Back