Storing and heating milk, breast and formula

keelie_b

Reaction score
hiya, im a bit confused about the whole issue and have LOADS of questions as always. thanks everyone for always having time to advise me.
we give Dylan a formula top up at night so my questions are aimed at both breast milk and formula milk.

Storing:
how long can milk be stored in the fridge?
how long can it be stored in the freezer?
How long can it be stored in the fridge before being moved to the freezer?

Heating (i know microwaving is not recomended)
Whats the best way to heat a bottle?
If we give Dylan a bottle of say 4oz (breast milk or formula) and he only drink half can we re-heat it and give it to him later?
If so what sort of timescale have we got to do this?
How would i defrost a frozen bottle? We have a bottle warmer can it just be done in there and heated at the same time?

Think thats all thanks everyone xx

Storing:

how long can milk be stored in the fridge? 24 hours - a few days, depending on what you read

how long can it be stored in the freezer? Depending on what you read, either one month or three months

How long can it be stored in the fridge before being moved to the freezer? See above :) but then when you defrost you should use straight away. Better to express, allow to cool and freeze straight away to allow yourself leeway at the other end.

Whats the best way to heat a bottle? Warm it up in some boilied water. Good shake before giving it to LO to make sure its even throughout.

If we give Dylan a bottle of say 4oz (breast milk or formula) and he only drink half can we re-heat it and give it to him later? No

If so what sort of timescale have we got to do this? Once you've warmed up milk (especially breastmilk) you need to give it within an hour then. After that throw it away.

How would i defrost a frozen bottle? We have a bottle warmer can it just be done in there and heated at the same time? You don't freeze bottles. I freeze my milk in special breastmilk storage bags. I defrost them depending on the need. If I know when I'll use it I take it out well in advance and allow to defrost overnight in the fridge or for a few hours at room temp. If in a hurry then I take it out and defrost in a bit of warm water. The last thing is not ideal and I only do so occasionally.

Its advised to allow to defrost naturally where possible as defrosting with heat takes out/destroys some of the <insert correct terminology here> is taken out doing this. Enzymes. Is that the word :think:

I did have a good PDF on breastmilk and storage etc. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Sorry I dont know what the recommendations are for formula but I can certainly help on the breast milk.

Heres an excellent guide on storing breastmilk

http://www.breastfeedingnetwork.org.uk/pdfs/BFNExpressing&Storing.pdf

Whats the best way to heat a bottle? Heat the bottle in a jug of warm water, I usually use boiled water from the kettle and shake it to prevent heat spots
If we give Dylan a bottle of say 4oz (breast milk or formula) and he only drink half can we re-heat it and give it to him later? No I wouldn't, especially if it has been previously frozen or stored in the fridge
How would i defrost a frozen bottle? We have a bottle warmer can it just be done in there and heated at the same time? I would store your booby milk in small quantities say 2 and 1 oz to each boobie bag then you can just take out the amount you need for each feed. If you store the bags flat in the freezer they defrost really quickly. The ideal way to defrost them is in the fridge but if you need them in a hurry then run them under the warm tap or place in a jug of warm tap water.

keelie_b said:
hiya, im a bit confused about the whole issue and have LOADS of questions as always. thanks everyone for always having time to advise me.
we give Dylan a formula top up at night so my questions are aimed at both breast milk and formula milk.

Storing:
how long can milk be stored in the fridge?
how long can it be stored in the freezer?
How long can it be stored in the fridge before being moved to the freezer?

Whats the best way to heat a bottle?
If we give Dylan a bottle of say 4oz (breast milk or formula) and he only drink half can we re-heat it and give it to him later?
If so what sort of timescale have we got to do this?
How would i defrost a frozen bottle? We have a bottle warmer can it just be done in there and heated at the same time?

Think thats all thanks everyone xx

On the formula milk...

It's recommended you make each feed up fresh so no on the fridge and no on the freezing. Some people do make up feeds and put them in the fridge for use within 24 hours but I'm not a fan of that. We just half fill the bottles with boiled water and top them up with boiling water when we need them then add the powder so they're at the right temperature straight away.

It's recommended you ditch a made-up bottle after an hour.

Thank you very much

I've expressed 3 bottles worth and frozen them in sealed sterilised bottles (with the lid on, not using the teet and cap) will i not be able to use them then? and whats the reason for this?

I'll try and pick up some of these breast milk bags then :)

i'll have a look at the links now :)

keelie_b said:
Thank you very much

I've expressed 3 bottles worth and frozen them in sealed sterilised bottles (with the lid on, not using the teet and cap) will i not be able to use them then? and whats the reason for this?

I'll try and pick up some of these breast milk bags then :)

i'll have a look at the links now :)

You should be ok to use the milk providing it hasn't been frozen for longer than the recommended time and that once you thaw the milk it is used straight away and any that is left over is thrown away.

You can continue to use the bottles for storing but it is much easier to store in boobie bags and quicker and easier to freeze in the boobie bags, they don't take up much space in the freezer either.

A good way to save milk is to express and store it in ice cube trays with lids :) Each cube is around 1oz so you take out a couple give it to your LO and if he drinks it all take out another oz..etc.. its more work...but if you have trouble expressing like me boob milk is like gold dust. :lol:

the link to the breast feeding network PDF is great, it gives you a little guide you can cut out and save, i keep one under a magnet on the fridge so i can remind myself of the storage. tesco do the storage bags for milk. i do the same also, storing it in the bags in small amounts, 2oz or 3oz so that if im only nipping out for an hour and leaving Joshua with my mum i can leave her with a couple of oz in case he roars and it means if he doesn't need it i haven't defrosted 6/7oz and it hasn't been used. my milk is like gold dust as im not great at expressing so i hate to waste any!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maegan
Back