Stay down milk and gaviscon

BellaRiven

Reaction score
Ok so we're just doing R's first feed with the gaviscon and stay down milk, we have followed the instructions to the letter, made p 120ml especially as the Gaviscon says you put it in no less than 115ml of milk, it seems the milk has gone really thick and R is having trouble getting it to come out the teat!!!, I know the stay down milk is a thicker consistency anyway it just seems adding the Gaviscon to the bottle as well has made it thicker still.

Can I give the gaviscon by syringe if I make it up the breast feeding way?

Does anyone have any advice please, seems at the minute if it's not one thing it's another and I just don't know what to do.....

Xx

we gave Aj his gaviscon in a syringe first before he would take enough of a bottle to put it in. Try putting it in the teat and let him suck it out then put the teat back on the bottle and baby seems to be less stressed failing that then get teats with the next size up hole. xxxxxx

Hi my boy has reflux. He is on gaviscon just once a day ( he got better at almost 4 mths). You can use bigger teats so milk will come when baby suck but I ve been told not to mix gaviscon with stay down milk.

Yep u can make it up the breast feeding way and give it after a feed as that's what we do on the wards. It dies turn normal milk thick and you often need a faster flowing teet so the hole is bigger. If u leave it around to long it also gets thicker. Just watch out for constipation esp if using stay down milk too.

When I was in the hospital they have T her Gaviscon before a feed in a syringe mixed with 5ml of water. It goes like a paste and baby will take it easier than if you make it with 15-20mls like it says on the packet.

I queried this as its different to the instructions and they said experience has taught them this is the best way to give it. It coats the throat on the way down like this.

T gets her 6 sachets like this every day.

Hi BellaRiven, sorry to hear Riven is having problems with Reflux. I hope the gaviscon is helping. Just wanted to know what his symptoms were, I'm a bit worried that jessica s starting to show signs of reflux. She is bringing up a couple of teaspoons of milk following a feed but doesn't seem distressed or in pain at the moment but wondering if that might be round the corner or is it normal for a baby to bring up milk occasionally? Xx

It's fine to give the gaviscon via a syringe. Is staydown milk the same as Aptamil comfort? If so when I asked my HV about it she said that you can give both together but you may find you don't need the gaviscon because the milk is already so thick.

Weefoggy it's perfectly normal for babies to be a little sick after a feed, it's their way of not overeating so to speak. If she's not distressed I wouldn't worry about it. The signs to look out for are large amounts of posseting after meals (though if the reflux is silent you won't get this) Arching the back during and after feeding, refusal to take milk (breast or bottle) or comfort eating, lots of hiccupping and general distress especially around meal times.

Wss ^^

Small amounts of possessing sick aren't unusual after a feed. Don't worry about it xx

Thanks dustbunny and beckyboo, I hoped that was the case. I just find myself worrying about everything so that reassurance means a lot! Sorry for hijacking your thread BellaRiven x

Hi BellaRiven, sorry to hear Riven is having problems with Reflux. I hope the gaviscon is helping. Just wanted to know what his symptoms were, I'm a bit worried that jessica s starting to show signs of reflux. She is bringing up a couple of teaspoons of milk following a feed but doesn't seem distressed or in pain at the moment but wondering if that might be round the corner or is it normal for a baby to bring up milk occasionally? Xx

R does this, and the rest of the time just likes being sat on me!

That's not to say that's what is happening with Jessica, R's sick is more projectile sometimes it's his whole feed sometimes less, I think it is normal for babes to bring it up sometimes, tbh we're just at the start of our investigations.

Xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back