Spitting out too much milk...

munchkin1982

Reaction score
Alot of you will know the trouble I am having with teets for Layla. I was worried that she was 5 months old and still on a number 1 teet so I changed her to number 2. This was all fine until she was literally taking a 7oz bottle down in 5 mins! So I invested in vari flow ones. The same thing is happening again but also ALOT of her milk she seems to be spitting out now too? To the point where her cloth bibs are sodden and the clothes underneath it and a little "pool" of milk gathers under her chin too. Surely this isn't normal??

I have also noticed that this is getting worse day by day since we made the change to the follow on milk?

I'm really confused. I don't know if it is the milk, the teets, or whether she is sickening for something?? This evening she had barely half her 7oz bottle and alot of it again soaked her bib and sleepsuit so I had to change her for bed again!

Has anyone else experienced this or had similar experiences? I really don't know what to do :-( xx

Hey hun

I haven't had this problem, but if it's coinciding with changing to follow on maybe try going back to stage 1 milk and see if she gets better? If it is that I would've thought it would take a good few days to revert back to normal.

But, no I don't think it is normal to be bringing up so much milk, so if going back to stage 1 doesn't make a difference I'd take her to the gp.

Could it be reflux? xxx

Have you tried changing back to a no 1 test and seeing if it still happens?

hey Maria... i don't know about reflux... its.more like she isn't even swallowing it before its coming out of that makes sense? I'm having to sort of hold the bib and bottle together to "catch the spit back" The more I think about it the more I think it could be the follow on milk... I don't know though... :-(

I've never really had a problem with her feeding until the last fortnight really (for loss of milk) if that makes sense? xx

Last edited:
I tried going back to number 2 tonight but by that stage she wasn't having anymore anyway :-( The probs I had with number 1 was that she was taking anywhere from 45-70mins to drink it and falling asleep on it etc. HV told me that it was making her work to hard for it etc so am reluctant to go back to number 1... being 6 months+ now though technically shouldn't she be on a number 3? or the vari flow like she's been on? xx

What sort of bottles is she on? i got Variflow teats for Tommee tippee bottles and 8 months Tegan still can't manage them and dribble it everywhere! i changed to Avent bottles with Variflow teats and she's fine, hope you find a solution soon xx

yeah they TT bottles... i bought little angels bottles in asda last night but she just cried with objection this morning. put milk in TT bottle and she was fine but with mentioned spit out :-( xx

Lizzie does the same when she has her beaker - it's like she holds it in her mouth for a bit then dribbles it all back out again! So it could just be that she needs to adjust to the flow?

I'm a bit naughty - instead of buying new teats I just poked a knife in and made the hole a bit bigger...

yeah layla and beaker dont get on either lol. she takes far too much back and then has a coughing fit because she has sort of "choked" herself :-(

tried her back on number 2 teet again this morning... same problems but not half as bad as when on vari flow... xxx

Lizzie does the same when she has her beaker - it's like she holds it in her mouth for a bit then dribbles it all back out again! So it could just be that she needs to adjust to the flow?

I'm a bit naughty - instead of buying new teats I just poked a knife in and made the hole a bit bigger...

lol.... i do this too!!!! maybe she just needs time to adjust? i dont use the follow on milk, it didnt seem so suit my lo he spat alot of it out and it made him generally quite sicky!!! maybe you could go back to first stage milk and make a 1st stage teet a tiny bit bigger with a knife lol....??? sorry if not much help!

I can't work that out hun! Aiden been fine on vari flow and when the exact same thing happened it was because we needed new teats! But I'm assuming your teats are new anyway?! Sorry that wasn't much help x

no worries girls... yeah teets are all new. well no more than a month old in terms of usage. vari flow have been used for 2 weeks. I am wondering if it is the milk to be honest. also could be completely unrelated but layla is also sleeping about 2 hours less at night too... still an average of 10 hours but since the change of milk etc that is also an additional change i have noticed. xx

Ifan has started doing this and i want to know what it is! He has been fine up until now and is still in size 1 teats - hes only weeks old. He just squirts it out of his mouth or it all dribbles out - hes still drinking but most of it doesnt go down! Would he need a bigger teat do you think? x

Just wanted to add that now Lizzie is having three 'meals' a day she only takes 4-5oz of milk in one go, rather than the 7 they advise on the box. She hardly ever finishes her night time bottle either, I reckon she's just had enough for the day :)

This follow on seems to have a lot to answer for! I'm not happy with it for other reasons! I'd just try first stage again like others have said x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back